Mercedes W14

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
chrisc90

Re: Mercedes W14

To be fair, the oscillations look too uniform for a go-pro bouncing round on a mount.

Not to mention a go-pro also has pretty good image stabilisation.

I just looked back at 2 of the cameras I use on trackdays and that sort of oscillations in the W14 video are nothing like a solidly mounted camera in a track car.

Vanja #66

FWandE wrote:
19 Feb 2023, 15:54
https://www.flickr.com/photos/186900207 ... ed-public/

Loving all the pretesting speculation about the cars :wink: So many opinions and guesses, some evidence based and some not, some backed by expertise some not, it is great fun.

Not wanting to restart the sidepod argument but I grabbed an image presented by someone else, sorry I forget who, and marked (crudely) & measured the width (on the photo) of the pods in a couple of spots. The new pods appear to be narrower at the widest point but wider further back. so the W14 pods are both wider and narrower than the W13 :!:

FYI I have little/no expertise in aerodynamics or physics or engineering so I'm quite happy to trust that Mercedes have employed people with expertise in these disciplines who have done their best to produce the fastest car they can.
No one on this forum will know whether they have succeeded until the end of qualifying at race weekend 1, but keep going with the speculation...it is great fun. :)
That's the never-raced launch spec design of W13. You can find a proper comparison with fixed floor width as reference here viewtopic.php?f=12&p=1112141#p1112141
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

ringo

Venturiation wrote:
19 Feb 2023, 11:32
this may be a reach but could they be using the detachable bodywork to change it depending on the race like they do with FW and RW

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FpUG8GhWIAA ... name=large
Maybe its easier to mount turning vanes on the panel than having to work on the tub. Could mean reduction in shipping costs and lobour.
Need new turning vanes? juat make a small panel and swap it out.
For Sure!!

ringo

As for sidedpods. I am not getting into that one again lol. But got objective objservation. W14 is narrower at the front, with less tapering at the rear and thus wider width. But overall sidepod volume is the same or less.
I suspect along with their new suspension, now is where we see Mercedes with the higher top speed. I am glad to be corrected if not the case.

We are talking a lot about their aero, but the front and rear suspension as well as the new raised floor should deserve as much discussion.
For Sure!!

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

The video doesn't show any relative motion of the camera in the middle with respect to the FIA camera on the side of the T-bar. For some reason the entire mount is shaking relative to the car.

delsando53
delsando53

https://imgflip.com/gif/7bpmd2

Can see the underflow vortices and the tyre wake getting attached quite hight up into the upperbody cannons .. connading to the lower element of the rear wing

organic

AR3-GP wrote:
19 Feb 2023, 16:15
https://i.postimg.cc/dtdQFtTr/image.png

https://i.postimg.cc/jjqRyH34/image.png

The video doesn't show any relative motion of the camera in the middle with respect to the FIA camera on the side of the T-bar. For some reason the entire mount is shaking relative to the car.
New headline for that j13 website

Mercedes Woes: Will Wobbly W14 Roll-hoop Be Outlawed By FIA????!!!

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

ringo wrote:
19 Feb 2023, 16:08
As for sidedpods. I am not getting into that one again lol. But got objective objservation. W14 is narrower at the front, with less tapering at the rear and thus wider width. But overall sidepod volume is the same or less.
I suspect along with their new suspension, now is where we see Mercedes with the higher top speed. I am glad to be corrected if not the case.

We are talking a lot about their aero, but the front and rear suspension as well as the new raised floor should deserve as much discussion.
Totally. I for one hope that they iron out the issues on W14. Good for the sport as a whole and also for the diverse economy of different designs being successful. Fwiw the black/carbon look is stunning

f1jcw
f1jcw

AR3-GP wrote:
19 Feb 2023, 16:15

Strange, you'd think it'd have being edited to get such an effect

Vanja #66

viewtopic.php?p=1112827#p1112827

Managed to find the time for a rough sidepod oriented simulation, with W14-like design. More detail in original post, while my conclusion is that W14 is definitely an improvement over W13 regarding drag (which the team mentioned and we have here confirmed) and if Mercedes manages to extract floor downforce without as much trouble with bouncing, 2023 should be much better for them. How better also depends on the competition.

And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Andi76
Andi76

Don't know if this comparison from Filisetti was shown yet- anyway - here another comparison in top-view:

Andi76
Andi76

Vanja #66 wrote:
19 Feb 2023, 16:58

Managed to find the time for a rough sidepod oriented simulation, with W14-like design. More detail in original post, while my conclusion is that W14 is definitely an improvement over W13 regarding drag (which the team mentioned and we have here confirmed) and if Mercedes manages to extract floor downforce without as much trouble with bouncing, 2023 should be much better for them. How better also depends on the competition.

https://i.ibb.co/fFwRLv9/comp-iso-detail.jpg
Great job as always! Thanks for that! Would it be possible to post it together with last years CFDs? I think this would be quite interesting to see! Thanks a lot!

JordanMugen

Is the downwashing fairing around where the pushrod attaches to the monocoque new for the W14 compared to the W13? I don't know why I didn't notice it before. :oops:

It seems like it was already there on the renders, but a lot of the pundits did not seem to notice it (or at least not mention it and consider it noteworthy) either.

ringo

what is that turning vane at the base of the brake fairing?
Also is it standardized?

Maybe its the black, but the car looks more svelte and refined. Like it's really going to be a much lighter car than w13.
The car also appears shorter in wheelbase.
For Sure!!

Andi76
Andi76

Vanja #66 wrote:
19 Feb 2023, 16:58

https://i.ibb.co/fFwRLv9/comp-iso-detail.jpg
I have picked out the corresponding CFD simulations from last year! I hope you do not mind! What immediately catches the eye is that rearwing performance seems much better, even if inferior to the F1-75, but there is significantly less high-pressure on the rear tyres!