Ferrari SF23

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
matteosc
matteosc

Re: Ferrari SF23

organic wrote:
19 Feb 2023, 01:10
Andi76 wrote:
19 Feb 2023, 00:13
matteosc wrote:
15 Feb 2023, 16:18

After seeing the analysis of KYLE.ENGINEERS here, I believe that the exposed lower impact structure is not an advantage. Maybe it would have hurt more in the floor, or maybe it was too expensive to change its position.
Found an image from the lower SIS and i think Kyle is wrong this time. This definetely has an aerodynamic function. Ferrari didn't do it by chance, and in this high-pressure zone it's a natural choice and it would be negligent not to use it accordingly.

https://postimages.org/
If they want to move sis it has to go somewhere. They wanted the undercut but didn't want to put it in the floor like RB. It's possible for it to just be an acceptable compromise for them
I think too that it is there because it would have been worst (for them) to put it in the floor. In my opinion this is the best option for their floor geometry, but if they were able to remove it completely, they would have done it.

Ultimately, only Ferrari's engineers knows all the details, but I still do not believe that it has a real positive aerodynamic purpose.

GrrG

FORMU1A.UNO

Ferrari SF-23: Four power units planned for 2023 – Potential Turbo concerns

https://www.formu1a.uno/ferrari-sf-23-f ... dentified/

Interesting post Twitter

LM10
LM10

sbrillo wrote:
18 Feb 2023, 13:10
LM10 wrote:
18 Feb 2023, 12:52
Subscription required. What does it say?
basically, according to Franco Nugnes (I don't know if a reliable source), the front part of the chassis is lower than last year, and this creates a tunnel that guides air through the venturi tunnels and the bypass-duct (s-duct), in Ferrari was called like so.
Thank you for answering!

Ced wrote:
18 Feb 2023, 13:12
LM10 wrote:
18 Feb 2023, 12:52
Subscription required. What does it say?
Disable browser adblocker
Oh, a subscription wasn't required, but I just needed to accept the cookies (if not subsribed). :D Didn't pay attention at first. Thank you anyway!

Andi76
Andi76

Vanja #66 wrote:
20 Feb 2023, 09:27
Andi76 wrote:
20 Feb 2023, 08:29
Great Video about Ferraris new suspension and the different philosophies of Ferrari and Mercedes because of their very different cars.

Good stuff, makes sense. Did they analyse the SF-23 and W14 suspension geometry layouts or did they just offer these geometries as the most likely layouts?
They have analyzed the Supension Geometries of the SF23 and W14, as far as it is possible from the photos, and presented the probable reasons, effects and differences. In a somewhat simplified, but still good and interesting way.
Vanja #66 wrote:
20 Feb 2023, 12:18
organic wrote:
15 Feb 2023, 15:06
From the filming day:
https://i.imgur.com/1dcT6oc.png
Missed this jewel somehow. Compared to 2022 final spec bellow, engine cover's much tighter. Definitely, both the sidepods and engine cover are tighter, excellent for external aero. This engine cover geometry would make the rear wing "work" as close as possible to completely unobstructed upstream. Both in straight line and, more importantly, while cornering. Also, the ambient pressure region in the tubs might be unified with engine cover pressure region, thus also reducing drag slightly.

Looks like every visible aspect of the car was clearly improved from F1-75, no doubt the floor as well. Nothing looks to have been compromised in return. No wonder they are proud of what they achieved in Ferrari. Let's see how it stacks up against the competition.

Exactly! This attention to detail with which Ferrari has apparently improved the concept is impressive. I have to come out as an absolute fan of this concept, which I find more promising than those shown so far! Besides, I find cars with such a slim airbox and hood simply more beautiful than this clunky canon-outlet. However, I fear that the "real" Red Bull RB19 will be completely different from the RB18. It just doesn't make sense to me to be so secretive and take the piss out of people (Launch - this is the RB19) when the car looks almost exactly like last year's model. Or at least Craig and Dave have found something they don't want anyone to see.

Vanja #66

GrrG wrote:
20 Feb 2023, 17:27
This guy is reading the forum, more than once he posted revelations discovered here as his own a few hours later...

Andi76 wrote:
20 Feb 2023, 21:55
Exactly! This attention to detail with which Ferrari has apparently improved the concept is impressive. I have to come out as an absolute fan of this concept, which I find more promising than those shown so far! Besides, I find cars with such a slim airbox and hood simply more beautiful than this clunky canon-outlet. However, I fear that the "real" Red Bull RB19 will be completely different from the RB18. It just doesn't make sense to me to be so secretive and take the piss out of people (Launch - this is the RB19) when the car looks almost exactly like last year's model. Or at least Craig and Dave have found something they don't want anyone to see.
It seems there is no clear winner yet on sidepod flow conditioning. The trick was always in the floor and it seems both ideas have lots of room for improvement.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Vanja #66 wrote:
20 Feb 2023, 22:19

It seems there is no clear winner yet on sidepod flow conditioning. The trick was always in the floor and it seems both ideas have lots of room for improvement.
Why is it expected that there will be 1 sidepod winner? Has such a thing ever been, in F1? (Aside of PU supremacy...)

Vanja #66

AR3-GP wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 01:24
Why is it expected that there will be 1 sidepod winner? Has such a thing ever been, in F1? (Aside of PU supremacy...)
In 2017 Ferrari introduced the top sidepod inlet and ran it for 3 years. For final 2 years of the rules they abandoned it. In 2021 there was almost no difference on sidepod design on any car, while 2017 saw loads of different approaches. There is always convergence, one way or the other.

2026 rules will require smaller cars and even if their general idea will remain the same like 2022-2025 cars, smaller wheelbase will influence everything. This also means sidepods will be much shorter than all 2017-2025 designs and will likely require novel solutions.

This means you'd want to define your approach on this major design feature for the next 3 seasons and stick with it, since changing such things is now more difficult than ever. If anyone changes their design in 2024, they will be 2 years behind top teams, so I really expected 9/10 teams to come up with very similar designs this year. :)

#BlessYouLaddie

Andi76
Andi76

Vanja #66 wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 06:38
AR3-GP wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 01:24
In 2017 Ferrari introduced the top sidepod inlet and ran it for 3 years. For final 2 years of the rules they abandoned it. In 2021 there was almost no difference on sidepod design on any car, while 2017 saw loads of different approaches. There is always convergence, one way or the other.

2026 rules will require smaller cars and even if their general idea will remain the same like 2022-2025 cars, smaller wheelbase will influence everything. This also means sidepods will be much shorter than all 2017-2025 designs and will likely require novel solutions.

This means you'd want to define your approach on this major design feature for the next 3 seasons and stick with it, since changing such things is now more difficult than ever. If anyone changes their design in 2024, they will be 2 years behind top teams, so I really expected 9/10 teams to come up with very similar designs this year. :)
I think so too. I also think that one team in particular has already planned a gradual departure from their current concept and that this will happen sooner rather than later. The first step has already been taken, in my opinion.

Blackout

Vanja #66 wrote:
organic wrote:
From the filming day:
Missed this jewel somehow. Compared to 2022 final spec bellow, engine cover's much tighter. Definitely, both the sidepods and engine cover are tighter, excellent for external aero. This engine cover geometry would make the rear wing "work" as close as possible to completely unobstructed upstream. Both in straight line and, more importantly, while cornering. Also, the ambient pressure region in the tubs might be unified with engine cover pressure region, thus also reducing drag slightly.

Looks like every visible aspect of the car was clearly improved from F1-75, no doubt the floor as well. Nothing looks to have been compromised in return. No wonder they are proud of what they achieved in Ferrari. Let's see how it stacks up against the competition.

Then my theory about these new outlets might be right: I think they are mostly cooling exits on steroids, that will keep pumping hot air from behind the radiator better than the shark gills, because they are probably placed in a low pressure area: look they are just behind a very outwashy shape. #ocular_CFD
Hence the less cooling gills.
And if you also connect them to another high pressure area, like that inlet at the bottom of the undercut you might hit two birds with one stone

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Blackout wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 07:19
Vanja #66 wrote:
organic wrote:
From the filming day:

Then my theory about these new outlets might be right: I think they are mostly cooling exits on steroids, that will keep pumping hot air from behind the radiator better than the shark gills, because they are probably placed in a low pressure area: look they are just behind a very outwashy shape. #ocular_CFD
And if you also connect them to another high pressure area, like that inlet at the bottom of the undercut you might hit two birds with one stone

https://i.imgur.com/gqftlWp.jpg
I disagree. I don't think the primary focus is radiator cooling. I think the primary function is like the old nosecone s-ducts

https://www.racecar-engineering.com/tec ... f1-s-duct/

After all, if you just want to locate a radiator outlet in a low pressure zone, you don't need an s-duct inlet. You just move the gills further forward. So that inlet flow down by the floor seems to have a purpose which I think is related to the way S-ducts are traditionally used. Ingesting some of the turbulent boundary layer in order to send more energized flow along the lower sidepod area where there is a strong outwash that must remain attached as the sidepod curvature reverses.

Ferrari will have been legally required to "cool" something with this duct so there is likely a small sensor inside the duct which is being "cooled" but is moreso a legality gimmick. I doubth there is an internal pathway for flow from the main sidepod inlet, to exit via the s-duct exit. They are more likely separate.

F1DataAnalysis

Vanja #66 wrote:
20 Feb 2023, 22:19
GrrG wrote:
20 Feb 2023, 17:27
This guy is reading the forum, more than once he posted revelations discovered here as his own a few hours later...

Andi76 wrote:
20 Feb 2023, 21:55
Yes I am! In fact I gave the credits to the forum in the thread for the original images, and do whenever I annotate images found here

I’ve been reading this forum (especially the ‘Car Hardware and Development’ section) for years, and I have to thank you for the impressive technical knowledge and for the level of detail achieved in the discussions: I think this forum has no equals concerning this
Follow me for F1 Data and Telemetry Analyses: Support the page and request custom analyses:

Vanja #66

Blackout wrote:
Then my theory about these new outlets might be right: I think they are mostly cooling exits on steroids, that will keep pumping hot air from behind the radiator better than the shark gills
AR3-GP wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 08:15
I disagree. I don't think the primary focus is radiator cooling. I think the primary function is like the old nosecone s-ducts
Well, the team did confirm it's a duct, so any cooling it may have (or maybe not, it's not clear of which of the rule boxes the duct was explained as part of) is likely very limited and designed to minimise the losses. Looking at the back and the tight engine cover, it may also have a purpose of keeping the flow attached along the engine cover, especially in yaw (overall geometry looks mostly ok for straight line conditions).

We should remember the louvres follow the flow lines, so there is an upward (Z axis) velocity component in this area, caused by ambient pressure in the tubs "forcing" the air to go up for a bit.

I guess the overall tighter bodywork explains why the tubs are now shallower, they had to add a bit of volume somewhere. I don't think tubs' excessive depth can add more downforce and, in Ferrari/Haas execution, this downward slope also has a limited effect on reducing drag. So it would make sense the team chose to tighten the engine cover to "expand" the ambient pressure zone in the tubs.

Something like this, SF-23 is at a different angle so the length of ambient pressure zone is the same but shown according to the photo available. Regarding the width, I think this is why the team narrowed the engine cover further - to expand the ambient pressure zone laterally and further reduce the drag over the engine cover. The exact pressure distribution is not like this, this is just my rough estimate.

#BlessYouLaddie

Andi76
Andi76

Blackout wrote:
Vanja #66 wrote:
organic wrote:
From the filming day:

https://i.imgur.com/gqftlWp.jpg
Unfortunately no CFD. Would be very interesting, because I can not imagine that there is actually low pressure. If, however, it would make sense.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

I imagine it's just removing and resetting the boundary layer around that critical area and putting it somewhere less sensitive.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Vanja #66

There are way too many use options with that air, it has decent energy, converging channel will speed it up a bit and there's a decent amount of it. Once you manage to make this kind of channel, you use it as best as you can. Helping to keep the flow around engine cover attached seems very likely, a lot of signs point to it.

#BlessYouLaddie