2023 Pre-Season Testing - Bahrain International Circuit, Feb 23 - 25

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Vanja #66

Re: Ferrari SF23

AR3-GP wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 02:17
I share a similar degree of confusion. The skinny wing on the Ferrari for a medium load circuit like Bahrain is impressive and suggest they are generating quite a bit of performance from the floor. In comparison to opposition (i know I'm treading water with staying on topic...). You would be lead to believe the Ferrari has the stronger floor.
Skinny wing is too skinny, the car was a bit too oversteery yesterday. Even F1 teams can't defy physics :) The thing with bigger rear wings is they move balance to the rear twofold, with downforce and with drag. Downforce is clear, drag is the result of the wing being above the CoG and therefore also generating nose-up torque.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Jbains21
Jbains21

Re: 2023 Pre-Season Testing - Bahrain International Circuit, Feb 23 - 25

On another thread, someone posted a video in Spanish which was kindly translated. The guy said that Aston didn’t change set up all day and also ran the same fuel load for the whole day. Alonso was offered to trim front wing on his run on the new set of C3 tires but declined as he wanted to get a good understanding of the car. New floor on the Aston today too!

All this info apparently came from Alonsos camp

Very promising indeed

ltitus8900
ltitus8900

I do not know if this was mentioned already however, it looks like the Ferrari raised the floor a little bit. Can someone confirm? It looks like it is not maintaining it's ride height as consistently and does not reach as low. Another tell for me is the suspension does not seem to be..."under as much stress".

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

Manfer
Manfer

ltitus8900 wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 09:40
I do not know if this was mentioned already however, it looks like the Ferrari raised the floor a little bit. Can someone confirm? It looks like it is not maintaining it's ride height as consistently and does not reach as low. Another tell for me is the suspension does not seem to be..."under as much stress".
It looks that way, the car seems to be sitting higher and probably stiffer too, cause the ride height was looked higher through the high speed corners.

Andi76
Andi76

Was that a new front wing on the Ferrari on Sainz's first laps? It looked like it was dropping off earlier to the sides. But maybe I'm wrong.

organic

Andi76 wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 09:53
Was that a new front wing on the Ferrari on Sainz's first laps? It looked like it was dropping off earlier to the sides. But maybe I'm wrong.
They reduced the fw angle and added a gurney to the inboard half of the uppermost fw flap

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

With all the talk of zeropods, I think we've forgotten that mercs actual biggest hindrance last year was tyre warmup.

Their race pace was generally strong but their quali suffered due to needing to carry more fuel to do extra lapainnquali meaning they could rarely extract maximum performance from the tyres.

Is there any data to suggest this issue has been resolved?

organic

Seems alpha tauri have tuned the bouncing out of their car that was obvious at their shakedown and day 1

F1NAC

Jbains21 wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 09:20
On another thread, someone posted a video in Spanish which was kindly translated. The guy said that Aston didn’t change set up all day and also ran the same fuel load for the whole day. Alonso was offered to trim front wing on his run on the new set of C3 tires but declined as he wanted to get a good understanding of the car. New floor on the Aston today too!

Very promising indeed
Probably most of the teams were runing basic setup to validate data from track to sim.

Something similar Charles said today. There were no setup works yesterday on their side

JPower
JPower

Ferrari looking much more consistent today.

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

How much lift is produced from the big grooves through/under the sidepods like on the AM?

LM10
LM10

F1NAC wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 10:53
Jbains21 wrote:

Very promising indeed
Probably most of the teams were runing basic setup to validate data from track to sim.

Something similar Charles said today. There were no setup works yesterday on their side
Strange you’re saying that because I just heard Charles tell that they’ve done plenty of setup work yesterday and tried out different extreme setups. And to be honest that’s also what we’ve seen because the car’s behavior seemed to have changed quite a bit throughout the day.

MV8
MV8

LM10 wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 11:59
F1NAC wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 10:53
Jbains21 wrote:

Very promising indeed

Strange you’re saying that because I just heard Charles tell that they’ve done plenty of setup work yesterday and tried out different extreme setups. And to be honest that’s also what we’ve seen because the car’s behavior seemed to have changed quite a bit throughout the day.
I think he means that they did not work on setup with the goal of adapting to the new car or trying to get performance from it, just checking the extremes one to get behaviour data
Just posting

dxpetrov
dxpetrov

As a Red Bull fan, following Perez on testing days is as fun as watching wallpaint dry....