Ferrari SF23

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
GrrG

Re: Ferrari SF23

Telemetry Ferrari test day 1 by Federico Albano

https://www.formulapassion.it/opinioni/ ... telemetria

aleks_ader

Yeah more like baby bouncing haha. If it fast and in AOM metric who cares. :D Same goes for looks.

Seems Merc and Ferrari both sticked with known philosophies. Its shows that F1 aerodynamicist can skin the cat differently and still get the similar results (although HUGE caviat for now).

Would be very exiting too see if Ferrari shows more low drag character. And Merc shows more load and drag. Too me seems Ferrari very slick design.

They avoided internal aero at all cost. Arguably less skin friction hence less drag already. Still rest of car is very 2005ih philosophy really. Gills with modern pre 2022 slim coke bottle treatment. Quite cute :d although by whole grid quite gentle undercut.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

MtthsMlw

First look under the hood from Fabrega

Andi76
Andi76

sbrillo wrote:
23 Feb 2023, 21:36
According to Franco Nugnes, today Ferrari was just search the correct balance of the car, exploring various heights from the ground to see when porpoising appear.
That sounds reassuring, because it really didn't look good in the afternoon.

Here's an interesting comparison of Ferrari and Mercedes :

What surprises me here is that the W14 has a much larger rear wing. Compared to almost all other cars. This suggests that Ferrari obviously generates more downforce via the underbody than Mercedes, even though Ferrari may not have driven with the actual Bahrain wing. This brought something back to my mind - that many Italian experts in 2022 have claimed that the Mercedes concept generates less downforce than Ferrari's concept, while Mercedes itself and the British and German media have always claimed that the Zeropod concept achieves superior downforce. Mercedes could not use it only because of the higher ground clearances imposed by porpoising and had to use larger wings. But the fact that Mercedes is using very large wings again with the W14 makes me slowly doubt this version and rather believe the Italian experts. Because why should Mercedes use larger wings again with the W14 if this concept (even if it is no longer a "full" zeropod concept) brings such superior downforce values? For me this makes no sense, because if I produce superior downforce via underbody and diffuser, I use smaller wings to have less drag to have even a higher top speed.
aleks_ader wrote:
23 Feb 2023, 22:52
Yeah more like baby bouncing haha. If it fast and in AOM metric who cares. :D Same goes for looks.

Seems Merc and Ferrari both sticked with known philosophies. Its shows that F1 aerodynamicist can skin the cat differently and still get the similar results (although HUGE caviat for now).

Would be very exiting too see if Ferrari shows more low drag character. And Merc shows more load and drag. Too me seems Ferrari very slick design.

They avoided internal aero at all cost. Arguably less skin friction hence less drag already. Still rest of car is very 2005ih philosophy really. Gills with modern pre 2022 slim coke bottle treatment. Quite cute :d although by whole grid quite gentle undercut.
Rory Byrne had a lot of influence on the design and concept of a new car for the first time since the F2007 with the F1-75. So it should come as no surprise that the F1-75 and the SF-23 that evolved from it bear much of his signature, rather than just refined detail solutions, projects, concepts and improvements he contributed to the 2017 and 2018 Ferraris. So it's fair to say that the SF-23 resembles a 2005 Ferrari or an F2004 to some extent. But I would rather say that it bears Rory Byrne's signature. It's a pity that Rory only works part time as a consultant. And from Thailand. What would be possible if he would work 250 hours a month on site in Maranello like from 1997-2004 and 2006?
Last edited by Andi76 on 23 Feb 2023, 23:25, edited 1 time in total.

Vanja #66

organic wrote:
23 Feb 2023, 17:05
Such a beautiful engine cover, absolutely stunning! :D
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

GrrG

Ferrari: development of the SF-23 begins tomorrow

https://www.formu1a.uno/ferrari-cominci ... lla-sf-23/

The article says that Ferrari is testing a new floor between tomorrow and Saturday

Last edited by GrrG on 24 Feb 2023, 00:10, edited 1 time in total.

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

Very good comparison shot of the rears of Ferrari and redbull.

Surprising to me is that redbull is clearly carrying significantly more downforce, and today achieved a superior top speed.

This could be of concern, though acknowledging how early we are before people come for me whole hog!

Also according to telemetries I’ve seen of Sainz best lap vs Verstappen, it seems the Ferrari is generating solid mechanical grip despite the lower downforce rear wing specs - which is encouraging and counter to the above point of concern.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Andi76 wrote:
23 Feb 2023, 23:08

What surprises me here is that the W14 has a much larger rear wing. Compared to almost all other cars. This suggests that Ferrari obviously generates more downforce via the underbody than Mercedes, even though Ferrari may not have driven with the actual Bahrain wing. This brought something back to my mind - that many Italian experts in 2022 have claimed that the Mercedes concept generates less downforce than Ferrari's concept, while Mercedes itself and the British and German media have always claimed that the Zeropod concept achieves superior downforce. Mercedes could not use it only because of the higher ground clearances imposed by porpoising and had to use larger wings. But the fact that Mercedes is using very large wings again with the W14 makes me slowly doubt this version and rather believe the Italian experts. Because why should Mercedes use larger wings again with the W14 if this concept (even if it is no longer a "full" zeropod concept) brings such superior downforce values? For me this makes no sense, because if I produce superior downforce via underbody and diffuser, I use smaller wings to have less drag to have even a higher top speed.
I share a similar degree of confusion. The skinny wing on the Ferrari for a medium load circuit like Bahrain is impressive and suggest they are generating quite a bit of performance from the floor. In comparison to opposition (i know I'm treading water with staying on topic...). You would be lead to believe the Ferrari has the stronger floor.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

JPBD1990 wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 01:14

Surprising to me is that redbull is clearly carrying significantly more downforce, and today achieved a superior top speed.
Top speed is measured with the wing open so to a certain extent, the shape of the wing when it is closed doesn't matter so much.

deadhead

Andi76 wrote:

Rory Byrne had a lot of influence on the design and concept of a new car for the first time since the F2007 with the F1-75. So it should come as no surprise that the F1-75 and the SF-23 that evolved from it bear much of his signature, rather than just refined detail solutions, projects, concepts and improvements he contributed to the 2017 and 2018 Ferraris. So it's fair to say that the SF-23 resembles a 2005 Ferrari or an F2004 to some extent. But I would rather say that it bears Rory Byrne's signature. It's a pity that Rory only works part time as a consultant. And from Thailand. What would be possible if he would work 250 hours a month on site in Maranello like from 1997-2004 and 2006?
I think him and the aero team at Ferrari nailed the design of the F1-75 for the original 2022 regulations, but unfortunately those changed quite a bit in a critical area in the middle of last year, and even further now, so hopefully they can adopt to it. Do we know if Byrne was involved at all with the current project?

f1316
f1316

AR3-GP wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 03:04
JPBD1990 wrote:

Top speed is measured with the wing open so to a certain extent, the shape of the wing when it is closed doesn't matter so much.
Given the Haas had a higher top speed despite a larger wing, the simple explanation is that Ferrari are running the engine lower.

My sense is that today was really all about establishing a baseline - wrt setup, ride heights and running a simple floor so as to not introduce too many variables -
and so really none of the outwardly visible data is really especially relevant.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

f1316 wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 05:10
AR3-GP wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 03:04
JPBD1990 wrote:

Given the Haas had a higher top speed despite a larger wing, the simple explanation is that Ferrari are running the engine lower.
Where you are seeing this? Every source I looked at has Haas at 322 km/h and Ferrari at a 325 km/h. The Ferrari has the higher top speed.

Andi76
Andi76

deadhead wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 04:18
Andi76 wrote:

I think him and the aero team at Ferrari nailed the design of the F1-75 for the original 2022 regulations, but unfortunately those changed quite a bit in a critical area in the middle of last year, and even further now, so hopefully they can adopt to it. Do we know if Byrne was involved at all with the current project?
He was involved in the current project. He still works as a consultant for Ferrari.
But it is questionable whether, after it became clear that Binotto would leave, he reduced his support and work. This was a topic that was always a bit too personal for me to ask about. However, Rory has always been extremely busy. But he also has, despite his 79 years, four other side jobs in addition to his involvement with Ferrari. In general, such changes are exactly the strength of people like Rory Byrne, who unlike today's specialized technicians in individual areas, have worked on every area and aspect of an F1 car for many years. If you move one bolt at the front of the car, he can tell you exactly what the impact is on the rest of the car and what needs to be changed there.
Last edited by Andi76 on 24 Feb 2023, 09:36, edited 2 times in total.

ryaan2904
ryaan2904

I think performance this year will depend more on sticking the rear, unlike last year where a better front end meant more performance. This years pirellis seem good so far, especially at the front.
I have to say, increasing the undercut and pushing more air towards the rear was a good strat by RB engineers. Ferrari has also made progress here, with the new pods. But RB feel very dominant from day 1. Rumours say ferrari are bringing a new floor on day 3. Hopefully we can eliminate porpoising with it. If not then this season will be an uphill battle for ferrari
CFD Eyes of Sauron

Vanja #66

This is a Car thread, not the Test Setup thread, these topics belong here --> viewtopic.php?p=1113477#p1113477
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie