2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Darth-Piekus

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Are those words a cause to doom and gloom? I cant say I like it but Im waiting for tomorrows last run to decide where we stand

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Darth-Piekus wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 15:55
Are those words a cause to doom and gloom? I cant say I like it but Im waiting for tomorrows last run to decide where we stand
It's just testing.

Let's wait and see.

McL-H
McL-H

bauc wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 15:48
I'm a die hard Mcalren fan for almost 25+ years now, and I can't see how can/will this team turn this sinking ship around even with the new facility's in place that are going to be functional latter this year. This team lost his mojo long time ago, we saw a glimpse of return to form in 2021 when we won a race and almost (RAIN + BAD TEAM CALL) we would have won 2 races and in a row!

Now reading how they have missed their own expectations I'm just sad, I'm not angry anymore at them, just sad to see this.... once great team fall apart slowly and painfully.

Here is to another slow, long & painful season..... :-({|=

I'm starting to feel like being a Mclaren fan is a curse, you can't do anything about it and you have to live with it to the rest of your life.
I feel the same sentiment. Ron would never had accepted this level of incompetence from the likes of Key and Prodromou and would had hired someone like Fallows or Binotto long before. We hire 6 drivers for our 2 cars, while competition is actually stealing away the heads at the top teams that are responsible for making championship winning cars.

I have been a fan for 16 years. Holding onto all the promises the team made these past 10 years. Of which some years were really hard to be a fan. But I’m having more and more doubts about the direction the team is headed. Sorry if I come across as negative, but I am very disappointed by what again seems to be a step back.. I see hopeful comments on here that are reminiscent of every previous year. I used to be hopeful too. But I don’t buy it anymore.

The only thing I expect from the team is to slowly build a gap from the midfield and steadily reduce the gap to the front runners. Is that so much to expect from a team claiming it will fight for the championship in 2025?

Emag
Emag

Okay guys, I am just going to put this out there. Until they start racing, it's pointless to try and gauge where they'll be in the pecking order.

But there's something to keep in mind also. Once we start racing, don't expect any "miracle" upgrade packages to change things drastically.

Unless gaps are super tight, the competitive position will probably remain the same even after this so called major upgrade package.

We had the same situation / expectation in 2018 :

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433 ... 33-to-work

"Didn't have the car we wanted for the first race"

"Couldn't hit our targets"

Sound familiar?

Pains me to say it, but McLaren is doing nothing to prove they might be back to what the name McLaren meant before 2012. If anything, they are establishing themselves as a midfield team with occasional sparks.

They are now, what Force India used to be. Such a sad state for a team which holds such a legendary name.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

McL-H wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 15:58
bauc wrote:
I'm a die hard Mcalren fan for almost 25+ years now, and I can't see how can/will this team turn this sinking ship around even with the new facility's in place that are going to be functional latter this year. This team lost his mojo long time ago, we saw a glimpse of return to form in 2021 when we won a race and almost (RAIN + BAD TEAM CALL) we would have won 2 races and in a row!

Now reading how they have missed their own expectations I'm just sad, I'm not angry anymore at them, just sad to see this.... once great team fall apart slowly and painfully.

I'm starting to feel like being a Mclaren fan is a curse, you can't do anything about it and you have to live with it to the rest of your life.
I feel the same sentiment. Ron would never had accepted this level of incompetence from the likes of Key and Prodromou and would had hired someone like Fallows or Binotto long before.
:lol: Ron Dennis drove Adrian Newey to the point of breakdown, we lost a title sponsor and he bragged they would be replaced in no time, never happened. Mobil, Tag Heuer, Hugo Boss, Mercedes works deal, all under Ron's watch walked away. He was just running an old boys club with bosses who weren't held accountable for poor results. Ron was great, but his time was up and wasn't evolving. By the way, when James Allison left Ferrari, McLaren were keen, but guess what? He didn't want to work for Ron Dennis.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Ben1980
Ben1980

If I wanted success I wouldn't be following Mclaren or even my football team, Wycombe Wanderers.

I can live with mediocre.

McL-H
McL-H

Ground Effect wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 16:14
McL-H wrote:
bauc wrote:

I feel the same sentiment. Ron would never had accepted this level of incompetence from the likes of Key and Prodromou and would had hired someone like Fallows or Binotto long before.
:lol: Ron Dennis drove Adrian Newey to the point of breakdown, we lost a title sponsor and he bragged they would be replaced in no time, never happened. Mobil, Tag Heuer, Hugo Boss, Mercedes works deal, all under Ron's watch walked away. He was just running an old boys club with bosses who weren't held accountable for poor results. Ron was great, but his time was up and wasn't evolving. By the way, when James Allison left Ferrari, McLaren were keen, but guess what? He didn't want to work for Ron Dennis.
I know about your negativity about Ron. And yes, I know the final years Ron was in charge were not good. Final years with Mercedes were not good. Then Honda years came (that built an awful engine that we helped develop into the best one on the grid and then let them leave). But I am certain that if he had stayed Ron would had turned the tables and we’d been fighting for championships again a long time ago. I disagree Ron would not hold anyone accountable, he was known for just the opposite. Ron won us 7 driver titles and 11 constructor titles. There has not been a more successful team boss anywhere, ever. Ron Dennis was a winner. That’s why McLaren was a winner. Current McLaren is just a true fiasco. Only thing we seem to be good at these days is contracting talented drivers and awesome marketeers.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

I think the development goal was to bridge the gap to the front (halve it?) but I think we’ve slid closer to the midfield rather than extending it. I still see a decent car just not the leap that was hoped I guess

Macklaren
Macklaren

Meanwhile back on track......interesting to see PIA gain 0.5s on each of these successive short runs. 2-3 lap run...in garage for 10 min...back out fora 2-3 lap run and 0.5s faster. Has done it 3-4 times now and is up to P8, 1.5s back (same C3 tires of course)

Szabi1112
Szabi1112

If we dont run race sim, our car has some issue.

PhillipM
PhillipM

Szabi1112 wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 16:38
If we dont run race sim, our car has some issue.
They've done almost 100 laps, I don't think they're really struggling to get mileage in right now.

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

Ground Effect wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 16:14
McL-H wrote:
bauc wrote:

Ron Dennis didn't adapt to the changes in F1, McLaren fell away because of it. Success doesn't last forever and you have to plan for a downturn in fortunes. Not arrogantly say "We are McLaren" and twiddle your thumbs expecting a different result and losing sponsors right, left and centre along with a works deal.
I do think that once McLaren have the new wind tunnel up and running they'll be in a much better position to design and develop the 2024 car. If they don't deliver then Lando will be off and probably Piastri as well if he lives upto the hype.

I think there is too much doom and gloom though, testing is just that testing.

f1rules
f1rules

Spot on
bauc wrote:

Emag
Emag

As an Alonso fan, it seems like at least I will have something to drown the disappointment that this team is looking on set to bring :P

haza
haza

Long run comparison