2023 car comparison thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Henk_v
Henk_v

Re: 2023 car comparison thread

Assuming the picture are similar speed and track position, very clear Alpine needs a higher ride height. Also Williams are quite high. AM and AT are really low.

Henk_v
Henk_v

Nice to see the FW area's clearly in comparison. Ferrari has a tiny FW. All top trams and AM reduce the FW area quite a bit.
Williams is the only one I've seen that looks like legality max.

Vanja #66

GrizzleBoy wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 13:07
So:
- Mercedes is using a RB style wing from 2022
- RB are using a Ferrari style wing from 2022
- Ferrari are using a Merc style wing from 2022

:lol:
All good except the last part :)

If anything, Ferrari took a leaf of Sauber's book, albeit with a shorter central section

And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

mzso
mzso

matteosc wrote:
23 Feb 2023, 22:54
mzso wrote:
23 Feb 2023, 21:49
PhillipM wrote:
23 Feb 2023, 20:59

The biggest reason for the increase in weight is because of the larger diameter wheels, not because of high profile tyres. High profile tyres and smaller wheels are lighter than vice versa, and have lower MoI
That's nowhere near a fact. The tires are a lot heavier than the wheels. And the tire diameter also grew and it resulted in proportionally more material since the radius is larger than the wheel diameter. Not only that, but where the most material is (tire tread), is where the increase was the largest, since it's the outermost part.
Now it would be a lot different if the tire diameter stayed the same.

That said, of course the wheels also increased in weight.
I do not agree with your opinion. The tire is (as material) lighter than the wheel: its stiffness is in fact obtained through the pressurized air inside. The tire is not only "rubber", but to give an idea rubber density is ~1.2 (10³ kg/m³), while aluminum is ~2.7 (10³ kg/m³). The wheel will be definitely lighter than simple aluminum, while the tire will be heavier than rubber, since there is a metallic and kevlar layer. Nevertheless, the material of the tire will be lighter than the material of the wheel. Moreover, the tire is essentially a relatively thin toroidal layer, while the wheel has a way stronger structure.

Considering the same external diameter, smaller wheel with larger tire would be lighter.
Actually the wheel is still forged magnesium as far as I know. Someone linked https://www.f1wheels.com/from this forum.

Also the structure of the wheel you point out just makes it more efficient with material and weight. Hollow structures like that can be a fair bit lighter than you might expect.
As well as a lot of the thread serves no structural purpose whatsoever, dead weight in this regard, the rubbery material is there to provide grip, and to seal air. Which needs to be generously reinforced by fibers that provide actual structural strength, especially with F1's still uncommonly high profile, uniquely high turning speeds and such very high shear forces.
Though I would love to see someone pointing to a reliable source measuring the old wheels/tires compared the new ones, I don't think such exits.

organic

Morteza

Via @wearetherace
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Morteza

Via @CRASH_NET_F1
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Henk_v
Henk_v

SiLo

The RB front wing is flattened off so much more than both Ferrari and Mercedes.
Felipe Baby!

organic

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

SiLo wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 15:24
The RB front wing is flattened off so much more than both Ferrari and Mercedes.
Could suggest a more forward cp on the floor which is something they likely struggled with last season (a more rearwards aero balance due to the floor)

Vanja #66

AR3-GP wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 18:40
Could suggest a more forward cp on the floor which is something they likely struggled with last season (a more rearwards aero balance due to the floor)
That's an inherit trait of their floor and diffuser philosophy, floor CoP is around diffuser kick. I wouldn't say their front wing front view surface is bigger or smaller than other two teams, all look quite close, maybe Ferrari is slightly bigger but only just. But different geometries skew the perception.

Bwoah, scratch that, RB wing is definitely smaller in front view, I overestimsted height of outboard section...

#BlessYouLaddie

organic

Vanja #66 wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 18:44
AR3-GP wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 18:40
That's an inherit trait of their floor and diffuser philosophy, floor CoP is around diffuser kick. I wouldn't say their front wing front view surface is bigger or smaller than other two teams, all look quite close, maybe Ferrari is slightly bigger but only just. But different geometries skew the perception.

Bwoah, scratch that, RB wing is definitely smaller in front view, I overestimsted height of outboard section...
Compared to last year it's the biggest visual change on the car.. the fw is massively backed off. Might be somethinf to do with switching from ice skate to their strange edge wing?

Vanja #66

organic wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 19:14
Compared to last year it's the biggest visual change on the car.. the fw is massively backed off. Might be somethinf to do with switching from ice skate to their strange edge wing?
Could be, but I wouldn't say so. Front wing affects the entire car and especially now with venturi floors, so if you can reduce their angle and keep the balance that can do wonders for floor performance. The advantage is twofold - you get less upwash and you lose less energy in the air.

This is one of the strange aspects of SF-23 for me, cranking up the central section so much. However, last year F1-75 took the air for the floor seemingly completely from under the nose, so in theory wing flow shouldn't create problems for the floor per se, "just" the floor vanes and sidepods...

#BlessYouLaddie

Blackout