McLaren MCL60

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
JPower
JPower

Re: McLaren MCL60

djos wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 02:36
This concept was abandoned 2 months ago, however it was too late to change course.

Basically 2022 Aston.

organic

Is wtf1 a reliable source? I didn't think it was.

To me it feels like they've extrapolated to "new concept coming at baku" from "large upgrade package at Baku". Some upgrades doesn't mean a change in concept - has any other outlet / journalist reported any team member mention a change in concept?

djos

organic wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 02:41

To me it feels like they've extrapolated to "new concept coming at baku" from "large upgrade package at Baku". Some upgrades doesn't mean a change in concept - has any other outlet / journalist reported any team member mention a change in concept?
I’ve found them to be pretty fair with only a touch of exaggeration. Unlike “the race”, they don’t make a 3 minute video into a 10 minute video by repeating themselves 5 times.

I’ve seen multiple reports that McLaren abandoned the current concept 2 months ago and the new package won’t be ready till Baku.
"In downforce we trust"

organic

djos wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 02:45

I’ve found them to be pretty fair with only a touch of exaggeration. Unlike “the race”, they don’t make a 3 minute video into a 10 minute video by repeating themselves 5 times.

I’ve seen multiple reports that McLaren abandoned the current concept 2 months ago and the new package won’t be ready till Baku.
I don't doubt you but would you be able to link the sources that have reported abandonment of concept 2mo ago?

PhillipM
PhillipM

Not that I've heard, I don't know if this is right or bluff as it only came from one source and I don't really like that - but they apparently just missed the loophole with the front endplates assuming it was closed this year and when they eventually caught it - started working on that and downstream adjustments to suit more outwash than they thought they could generate initially.
Tbfh it's a bit of a kicker still because delaying development this year means it's a bit of a toss-up if you just wait for the new windtunnel to come online and work mainly on next years car and let things trickle down.

Not as bad as people here are saying I don't think, just missed a bit of what they thought was easy performance that was there on the table to grab. You're not talking seconds a lap here, hundredths or a tenth or two at the best I'd imagine.
If they have other issues on top I don't know - there's some sources on the forum here that probably have better info on if they need to change anything more major but I don't know if they can speak out this far ahead - but that's all that was chattered about for the 'different direction' to me

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

organic wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 02:41

A lot of speculation in order to trigger fans, generate clicks and buzz… McLaren has stated that they found a development path with more potential, is it a new “concept” or is it just an upgrade to the current one? We will find it in Baku.

If one does listen to what Stella is saying and if they indeed found out late in the winter, it is not surprising that they are using last year’s concepts on the new floor and front wing for example, since it wouldn’t make sense (in a cost cap era) to develop something that they will eventually change… Even when it might cost them points in 3 out of 23 races, it is the right call to switch focus and resources towards the new path if they indeed find it to have more potential.

The mechanical / chassis part apparently is doing what was expected (according to Stella) and that’s positive, since the balance issues were apparently not related to aero, but more an issue of how they worked the tires and general balance from a weight transfer perspective… If at this point, it is only aerodynamic efficiency that they are missing, it is good and I’m glad that they found out soon enough which is the ideal path for them (we haven’t raced yet).

The rest in terms of Seidl leaving (for what is in essence a promotion to a position like Zak’s with an exciting new manufacturer - Audi) implying that is because of whatever performance the MCL60 has it’s just gaslighting, similar to question whether Norris will stay or should look for a seat in 2024 (how many times does Lando needs to state that he is staying until 2025?).

McLaren ultimately is one of the Teams with the biggest fan base and any report about them creates buzz and clicks… Milking the doom and gloom creates both.

djos

organic wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 02:50
djos wrote:

I don't doubt you but would you be able to link the sources that have reported abandonment of concept 2mo ago?
“The race” video Goblin posted above says essentially the same thing.
"In downforce we trust"

MrGapes

PhillipM wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 02:55
Not that I've heard, I don't know if this is right or bluff as it only came from one source and I don't really like that - but they apparently just missed the loophole with the front endplates assuming it was closed this year and when they eventually caught it - started working on that and downstream adjustments to suit more outwash than they thought they could generate initially.
Tbfh it's a bit of a kicker still because delaying development this year means it's a bit of a toss-up if you just wait for the new windtunnel to come online and work mainly on next years car and let things trickle down.

Not as bad as people here are saying I don't think, just missed a bit of what they thought was easy performance that was there on the table to grab. You're not talking seconds a lap here, hundredths or a tenth or two at the best I'd imagine.
If they have other issues on top I don't know - there's some sources on the forum here that probably have better info on if they need to change anything more major but I don't know if they can speak out this far ahead - but that's all that was chattered about for the 'different direction' to me
I think they should just switch as soon as the new wind-tunnel is online... otherwise this delayed development will just result in this endless cycle of delayed development for the next car, ultimately they have to break this cycle at some point.

PhillipM
PhillipM

Probably, I mean there is a new floor and wing to get them to the spec they originally wanted, I thought we'd see that here for the first race but maybe not unless they're downplaying things deliberately

djos

The comments from Oscar are concerning:
“I think the issues we’ve got [are] probably pretty similar to last year, I think I’m also still getting up to speed with how I need to drive to extract the most out of the car.
“I think in terms of feeling of performance it’s I would say a small step from last year.
https://apple.news/Ay_-mbqAoT-awm6R-JTxhRA
"In downforce we trust"

MrGapes

PhillipM wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 03:29
Probably, I mean there is a new floor and wing to get them to the spec they originally wanted, I thought we'd see that here for the first race but maybe not unless they're downplaying things deliberately
hmm.. interesting, maybe waiting on corresponding parts to complete the package spec? at the very least you'd expect them to at least run them once to collect correlation data

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

MrGapes wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 08:48
PhillipM wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 03:29
hmm.. interesting, maybe waiting on corresponding parts to complete the package spec? at the very least you'd expect them to at least run them once to collect correlation data
It depends… Was the floor and front wing designed for the current car or do they work for the upgrade?… In this cost cap era, if you don’t use it, then it doesn’t count against it… So, if they have found a better path (which probably implies a different floor for example), it would make sense not to introduce it and save that cost for other development.

djos

organic wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 02:50
djos wrote:

More info here:

https://the-race.com/formula-1/the-main ... -happened/
"In downforce we trust"

organic

AMuS 📸

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

So that wing is there to improve aero efficiency of that section. Less lossy flow