Red Bull RB19

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
NtsParadize
NtsParadize

Re: Red Bull RB19

ringo

Henk_v wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 19:23
No. Pins are better for heat exchange as they build less boundary layer.
Well fins do, but pins allow flow in many directions and less likely to be blocked by debris. It's whatever fits the bill for the application, fins, ribs, pins/studs.
For Sure!!

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

From this view you can really see how the rear leg of the front upper wishbone complements the floor leading edge:

I previously assumed RB was aiming for a suspension geometry, but the reasoning looks more aerodynamic in nature.

Goblin42

organic

Goblin42 wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 20:30
From this angle it could be deceiving with the upper element looking like the lower element.. If they have removed it, it wouldn't surprise me given Ferrari have also gone in that direction, but I think they haven't

Fabrega image from today seems to show it's still there

The upper t-tray is certainly lower down than it was last year. Similar to AMR23 in that sense
Last edited by organic on 02 Mar 2023, 20:43, edited 1 time in total.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

It's still there imo. The lines don't make sense otherwise.

Henk_v
Henk_v

I have a shoe here fearing for his future. I hope more pictures arrive...

Regarding the pins on the caliper; at the temperatures the brakes run, heat exchange by radiation can exceed convective heat exchange. Fins are terrible at radiating as most of the surface radiates towards the neighboring fins. I can imagine the shroud being of conductive material and having pins too. The pin spacing seems to imply this. Heat will then be transferred to the shroud by radiation and is convectively transferred to to the cooling air by the shroud pins. This could mean the shroud runs a bit cooler, which may be a desirable effect.

ringo

Henk_v wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 21:34

Regarding the pins on the caliper; at the temperatures the brakes run, heat exchange by radiation can exceed convective heat exchange. Fins are terrible at radiating as most of the surface radiates towards the neighboring fins. I can imagine the shroud being of conductive material and having pins too. The pin spacing seems to imply this. Heat will then be transferred to the shroud by radiation and is convectively transferred to to the cooling air by the shroud pins. This could mean the shroud runs a bit cooler, which may be a desirable effect.
Maybe you are confusing what is happening. The convection is of the air blowing past the pins.
Radiative heat transfer usually has to do with light emission, such as fire etc. Once the view of that light or radiation, be it IR or whatever is blocked by a body then you are mostly depending on convection to transfer heat behind the shadow of that body.
Fins are not terrible for heat transfer. That's why radiators in most applications have fins and not studs.
Both have their strengths and weaknesses, usually with studs, it's for mechanical reasons why they are selected.
For Sure!!

Cs98
Cs98

AR3-GP wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 17:01
organic wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 12:12
nico5 wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 12:10

It still is a lower df wing than their medium df wing from last year. It's somewhere halfway between the two specs they used for most of the season (Bahrain and Jeddah). I don't think there's gonna be a big gap in top speed at all. Ferrari only matched RB's medium df wing speed when they introduced the RW they ran in testing this year. Now RB has gone down a notch. If anything, RB might lose out in the acceleration if Ferrari's got some engine magic to show.
https://i.imgur.com/3OHK2vU.png

You reckon spec 1 is higher df than spec 2? I can't tell. So bad at judging these things. Angle on these photos is a bit different mind you

Last season it seemed like RB often had to use a compromised wing setup at medium-high df tracks such as Bahrain and Zandvoort. Seems to me that a med-high df wing was lacking in their lineup so would make sense if the wing on the car is that one
Yes, Spec 1 has a crease in the main plane. Spec 2 is more rounded and lower df.

They did most of testing on spec 1. They’ve come to the track today with Spec 2 and a smaller beam wing. Fascinating.
Actually the opposite I think. They did most of testing on the more efficient spec 2 wing, with a more loaded beam wing. The upper flap on the beam wing had sort of a semi-circular upper edge when they ran it in testing. See: edit (saw you already posted the image), but I think they are running the lower DF wing, with the lower DF beamwing.
Last edited by Cs98 on 02 Mar 2023, 22:39, edited 1 time in total.

organic

Agreed. Seems RB have gone for efficient RW, efficient BW.. at least for Thursday. Probably trying to match Ferrari's drag levels

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Cs98 wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 22:35
AR3-GP wrote:
organic wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 12:12

https://i.imgur.com/3OHK2vU.png

You reckon spec 1 is higher df than spec 2? I can't tell. So bad at judging these things. Angle on these photos is a bit different mind you

Last season it seemed like RB often had to use a compromised wing setup at medium-high df tracks such as Bahrain and Zandvoort. Seems to me that a med-high df wing was lacking in their lineup so would make sense if the wing on the car is that one
Yes, Spec 1 has a crease in the main plane. Spec 2 is more rounded and lower df.

They did most of testing on spec 1. They’ve come to the track today with Spec 2 and a smaller beam wing. Fascinating.
Actually the opposite I think. They did most of testing on the more efficient spec 2 wing, with a more loaded beam wing.
I'm not sure. The speed traps were only 319-320 down the main straight for Perez on Friday/Saturday. This is quite a bit down from what RB did on lower downforce (326-328).

Cs98
Cs98

AR3-GP wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 22:46
Cs98 wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 22:35
AR3-GP wrote:

Actually the opposite I think. They did most of testing on the more efficient spec 2 wing, with a more loaded beam wing.
I'm not sure. The speed traps were only 319-320 down the main straight for Perez on Friday/Saturday. This is quite a bit down from what RB did on lower downforce (326-328).
Wind affects a lot, also engine modes are not known. Perez was using the lower DF rear wing with the higher DF beam wing on Saturday.

organic

I think the first day did have a tailwind down the straight and that's when everyone was hitting very high speeds

Henk_v
Henk_v

ringo wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 22:22
Henk_v wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 21:34

Maybe you are confusing what is happening. The convection is of the air blowing past the pins.
Radiative heat transfer usually has to do with light emission, such as fire etc. Once the view of that light or radiation, be it IR or whatever is blocked by a body then you are mostly depending on convection to transfer heat behind the shadow of that body.
Fins are not terrible for heat transfer. That's why radiators in most applications have fins and not studs.
Both have their strengths and weaknesses, usually with studs, it's for mechanical reasons why they are selected.
I design heat exchangers for a living. I hope I'm not confused...

I am not at all saying fins are terrible. They are just not the best for radiative cooling. Fins are great if the limit of heat exchange is in the thermal conductivity of the exchanger. They provide a low resistance way of exposing area and a large conduction path.

If you look better at radiators, you'll discover that high performance radiators are often a hybrid between pin and fin. The fins are perforated and skewed to make many small fins to mix the airflow and break the boundary layer.

In aluminium the thermal conductivity is not a limiting factor and pins can(can!) be effective in keeping boundary layers at bay and mixing the airflow at the cost of some additional resistance.

Air is terrible at absorbing radiation. The radiation of the sun needs about 16 km of atmosphere and some stuff in it to be attenuated enough to make earth livable,

Absorbing the heat radiation with another body with a low emissivity and convectively transferring that heat to the air can be a great way to make the heat exchange to the air more effective and could potentially keep the shroud cooler. A cooler shroud may give an opportinity to use lighter non-metallic composites near it reducing weight (allthough I realise that is quite an hypothesis)
Last edited by Henk_v on 03 Mar 2023, 00:13, edited 1 time in total.

Vanja #66

Henk_v wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 23:59
I design heat exchangers for a living. I hope I'm not confused...
You'd be surprised... :mrgreen:
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie