2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

MrGapes wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 00:36
I think if the car can sustain 1s per lap deficit to the fastest car come Sunday I’ll be happy. I think this circuit doesn’t particularly play into the strengths and rather exposes some of the weaknesses McLaren has had in the last few seasons.

Presuming the Baku upgrade has a net positive effect (other teams will also introduce upgrade packages) to the other teams, I’d like to think they can bring that deficit down to 0.7-0.5 a lap to the fastest car at heavy fuel. (Maybe a bit ambitious)

I know a lot of people here care about placement in championship etc. I think the race pace deficit to the leading car is far more indicative of the teams progress, so improving from the 1-1.5s per lap over the season is important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What if the other teams bring upgrades to Baku?

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

AR3-GP wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 01:29
MrGapes wrote:
I think if the car can sustain 1s per lap deficit to the fastest car come Sunday I’ll be happy. I think this circuit doesn’t particularly play into the strengths and rather exposes some of the weaknesses McLaren has had in the last few seasons.

Presuming the Baku upgrade has a net positive effect (other teams will also introduce upgrade packages) to the other teams, I’d like to think they can bring that deficit down to 0.7-0.5 a lap to the fastest car at heavy fuel. (Maybe a bit ambitious)

I know a lot of people here care about placement in championship etc. I think the race pace deficit to the leading car is far more indicative of the teams progress, so improving from the 1-1.5s per lap over the season is important.

What if every team DNF’s on every race from here to the end of the season?

He hopes that the McLaren upgrade package bring 0.25 to 0.5 seconds more than what others team’s may be bringing… Which no one knows… But I would argue that if indeed McLaren stopped development of the MCL60 a couple of months ago (closer to 3 months ago if we consider when we heard about it) and other teams continued developing during that period of time what they ultimately brought to the track in Bahrain, it could be expected for McLaren to make more gains based simply on development time.

It’s one of the reasons why Aston Martin has made such a big jump between seasons, while the likes of McLaren and Alpine were in a bitter battle for P4 and therefore using resources that could have been placed in their 2023 challenger in order to beat each other, Aston Martin started earlier (and with more WT and CFD time) to develop the AMR23… The fact that they have made such an important step in performance is a consequence of that.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

SmallSoldier wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 02:14
AR3-GP wrote:
MrGapes wrote:

:lol: I'll admit, I misread the OP. They did clearly state:
So this addresses my question in full.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

AR3-GP wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 02:16
SmallSoldier wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 02:14
AR3-GP wrote:

:lol: I'll admit, I misread the OP. They did clearly state:
So this addresses my question in full.
Lol… I thoughts so :D

MrGapes

SmallSoldier wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 21:07
Ground Effect wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 20:42
Anyone see Lando's fastest FP2 lap?
After watching the lap, a few comments:

His outlap was slow, I couldn’t understand exactly what happened but in the middle of the outlap he was asked to Pit and afterwards decided to go for a time lap… Wouldn’t be surprised if the tires weren’t in the right operating temperature.

During the lap, he had a moment in Turn 9 and after the lap complained about “surges”… Trying to get telemetry for the lap to see what it shows
Yep his out-lap was compromised, if you look at his dash his brakes and tyres were still cold so there is certainly more time in that lap

BigBeansBoy
BigBeansBoy

Posted a quick analysis in the telemetry thread: viewtopic.php?p=1118906#p1118906 hopefully people find it interesting! It centers entirely around Lando's laps

Lucky
Lucky

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

BigBeansBoy wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 04:54
Posted a quick analysis in the telemetry thread: viewtopic.php?p=1118906#p1118906 hopefully people find it interesting! It centers entirely around Lando's laps
Thanks! Good contribution!

Lucky
Lucky

Capharol
Capharol

Lucky wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 05:44
i find these comparisons unneccessary and not accurate as the one is made in Q 2022 and the other in a FP....

compare these numbers later today when Q is done

Darth-Piekus

I checked yesterdays times and I did see something interesting. I notice that Norris did not do a good lap as he had problems from the outlap and he did his time with the Mediums. The first 4 who were 7 tenths faster set the time with the soft and did not have problems. That indicates that the car has more pace than what we have seen so far.

I am curious however of the new car in Baku if it's true that the current car is an abandoned project.

PhillipM
PhillipM

If you remember they were talking about struggling to warm up the new front tyres quite as fast over the winter, or at least I was told so. Might be part of it. That was a very scruffy lap in FP3 too.

Darth-Piekus

Phillip got any info of the new car that they are preparing for Baku that has a different philosophy? What will be the difference that they abandoned this current project not to mention talking about it so much?
Last edited by Darth-Piekus on 04 Mar 2023, 13:52, edited 1 time in total.

mwillems

The track will be getting up to speed again and the dust clearing.

It's close though, makes you think that if this upgrade is huge, where could we be.

Early doors still though, plenty of time to dial in.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Darth-Piekus

mwillems wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 13:52
The track will be getting up to speed again and the dust clearing.

It's close though, makes you think that if this upgrade is huge, where could we be.

Early doors still though, plenty of time to dial in.
I wonder if the team would be close to the top with that new car and why they discovered it that late. On another note I can't wait to see Fernando Alonso humbling Verstappen cause the Aston Martin took a huge jump from last year.