2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

I don't know but the car is clearly not 4th fastest at this track, but certainly not slow either.

At the moment the track is rubbering in so the positions and times will only start to make sense later in the session.

But yeah, if it brought half a second then we'd be in a very good place.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

PhillipM
PhillipM

Darth-Piekus wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 13:51
Phillip got any info of the new car that they are preparing for Baku that has a different philosophy? What will be the difference that they abandoned this current project not to mention talking about it so much?
Put it this way, the only place I've seen celebrating that it's going to be a huge/massive upgrade, put them at the front, etc. Is here.

Yes they spotted some easy laptime they're kicking themselves about, are we talking a second a lap? No.

mwillems

PhillipM wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 14:03
Darth-Piekus wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 13:51
Phillip got any info of the new car that they are preparing for Baku that has a different philosophy? What will be the difference that they abandoned this current project not to mention talking about it so much?
Put it this way, the only place I've seen celebrating that it's going to be a huge/massive upgrade, put them at the front, etc. Is here.

Yes they spotted some easy laptime they're kicking themselves about, are we talking a second a lap? No.
Stella himself said it is a big chunk of time, I'm taking his word for it!

-Bandit

PhillipM
PhillipM

It was a few tenths before testing, now it's seconds. Rumour mill in full turning. A few tenths *is* a big chunk of time for a new package.

Darth-Piekus

Seeing Aston Martin that high by using the Mercedes Wing Tunnel and Simulator makes me wonder why Mclaren did not approach Mercedes for that kind of deal instead of using the outdated Toyota Wind Tunnel and Simulator?

On another note even if it's not 1 second and be 8 tenths it is still significant. Consider that in Bahrain Mclaren has weaknesses and this year they are much faster than last year. The car will perform way better in the next races if we take what happened to last year.
Last edited by Darth-Piekus on 04 Mar 2023, 14:11, edited 1 time in total.

Macklaren
Macklaren

FP3 so far... Lando the only driver to do multiple laps on his first Soft run. If the 0.5s gap to PIA holds, Lando will split the Ferraris at the mo

Darth-Piekus

Both Norris and Piastri should be faster than Sargent and Albon in Williams. If Lando indeed has that gap to Piastri we expect him very high.

Ben1980
Ben1980

2020 Mclaren and RP (as was) had a battle for 3rd. Since then RP became AM and were, basically a bit rubbish for 2 years, before getting something for this year.

But in thar period have invested a hell of a lot of money.

Can imagine the uproar if Macca had given up 2 years of racing to get good.

But, we all know RB will walk it again.

mwillems

PhillipM wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 14:09
It was a few tenths before testing, now it's seconds. Rumour mill in full turning. A few tenths *is* a big chunk of time for a new package.
I'm not sure I saw seconds being spoken of but we will see how the car does. I'd like to think it is 3 tenths at least at a track like this but I'll hope for 5 tenths. Unless you can tell us more...

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/how-m ... /10436300/

"There's a couple of components where we see that there's quite a bit of lap time sensitivity," he said.

"I can't say what [they are], and it will not necessarily look like a completely different car, but some of the changes seem to make a significant difference for aerodynamic efficiency."

For a man who chose his words so carefully at the launch, his talk of a "significant" step should not be underestimated.

-Bandit

Darth-Piekus

I can't wait to see Alonso humbling Verstappen and seeing Piastri doing that lap time gives me good vibes for when Norris pushes.

PhillipM
PhillipM

mwillems wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 14:19
I'm not sure I saw seconds being spoken of but we will see how the car does. I'd like to think it is 3 tenths at least at a track like this but I'll hope for 5 tenths. Unless you can tell us more...
Nah I'm boarding a flight out in 30 mins or so, so I won't be around for a week

mwillems

Yeah I'm just waiting to see if they do another lap. Looked great from Piastri.

-Bandit

mwillems

PhillipM wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 14:27
mwillems wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 14:19
Nah I'm boarding a flight out in 30 mins or so, so I won't be around for a week
Nice, where are you off?

-Bandit

geogate
geogate

great stuff from Piastri - thats just what I was hoping for .. Quiet methodical progress. Be really sweet for the guy to out qualify both Alpines

billamend
billamend