2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
ing.

Re: 2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

JPBD1990 wrote:
11 Mar 2023, 13:45

Leclerc allegedly requesting to meet with Elkann after Bahrain. If Ferrari lose Leclerc they better hope they can get Hamilton or someone with some buzz in or else we’re looking at some long years in obscurity to follow. The ‘drive to survive’ era fans don’t care about Ferrari’s history, they care about the narrative that was created by the media about who is ‘the best’. We’ve got one currently, but for how much longer?
🤷🏻‍♂️ Maybe LEC just went to meet Elkann to reassure him that the concept of this car is so good and innovative—according to some—that there’s no need to worry.

Probably said something like “buckle up for a wild ride to some awesome podium finishes”… “as soon as we figure out how to make a rear wing that stays in one piece and doesn’t flutter like a freaking flag in the wind!”

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

JPBD1990 wrote:
11 Mar 2023, 15:53
Now there are rumours that there is a rift between Vasseur and Vigna… after two whole months in the role. Apparently it is Elkann’s intention to have Vigna pull the strings and have Vasseur installed merely as a puppet. If so, I don’t see Fred sticking around long and… the whole situation stinks. Elkann seems to be the root of all evil…
Leclerc will support Vasseur.
Last edited by AR3-GP on 11 Mar 2023, 16:06, edited 1 time in total.

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

Yes but is it enough for Leclerc to support Vasseur? The executive chairman and CEO against a team principal and driver?? An EC and CEO that have already displaced a team principal…

Ever since Vigna came on board I’ve had concerns. It’s Montezemolo 2006-onwards all over again. That got us to this point. Marchionne seemed sensible, though too involved in the F1 team, and unfortunately wasn’t around for long enough (RIP) and now history repeats.. again.

I really cannot comprehend the political dysfunction inside Ferrari. The road car division is firing on all cylinders. They’re making more money than ever. Wait lists years long for every vehicle… why do they need their hands in the F1 pie? Why not just throw money at it to install the best people and LEAVE THEM BE?

MDB983
MDB983

Venturiation wrote:
11 Mar 2023, 14:51
LM10 wrote:
11 Mar 2023, 14:20
Venturiation wrote:
11 Mar 2023, 13:17
sainz should be the priority because he is way ahead in the championship
charles has 0 points
Proof of you being a troll.
No I'm just being realistic they have to favour the driver with most points like all teams do

I don't understand why so many wants sainz to be the second driver before the season even started
And anyway Ferrari isn't winning any title this year
Then by your logic, Russell should have been prioritized last season, Toto should have been apologizing to Russell last year?

Leclerc not only proved his dominance last year (and in prior years), but also would have been ahead on points, your metric for most talented, had his car not given up the ghost. This was plain to see by anyone, other than a troll.

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

''Fastestpitstop'' = Your source for formula 1 news and rumors.

FDD
FDD

Sounds to me like very "dark" period is on the way
"We are only in the first half of March, but the situation within the Ferrari team already appears rather precarious. The problems seem to be various and range - unfortunately for the fans of the red - from the technical aspects, the competitiveness of the new SF-23 and its reliability, to the more human ones within the Maranello team . The advent of Frederic Vasseur in fact, in the role of new team principal he seems to have not improved the internal dynamics of the Scuderia at all. However, the problem would not be so much related to the French manager, as to the relationship that the former Sauber boss would have with the CEO. of the stable, Benedetto Vigna. As had already appeared quite clear at the time of Vasseur's appointment, in fact, the team principal's powers are weakened compared to those of his direct colleagues. This is because Vigna, appointed by Elkann, essentially put the 54-year-old engineer from Draveil under police commissioner. A situation that would inevitably increase the discontent within the team. On the Corriere dello Sport my colleague Fulvio Solms tried to analyze the matter on the merits, describing a not exactly flattering picture of the air one would have been breathing in the corridors of Maranello in recent days. The title of the piece is emblematic, which reads eloquently: "Vasseur is already fed up.
The rift between Vasseur and the managing director Benedetto Vigna constitutes the true hypocenter of the ongoing earthquake – writes Solms –on behalf of president John Elkann, Vigna effectively put Vasseur in charge, who operates with powers inferior to those of his other nine peers in Formula 1. To say: he has no control over team passes, which usually pertain to the team principal. Upon his arrival, he asked for the proxy on the sponsors and was denied: Vigna kept that too, which had taken it away from Binotto in March 2021. [...]. Binotto defended that autonomy and also defended his engineers when they made mistakes [...], those who no longer feel protected take refuge within the confines of their homework in order not to run into a mistake that could cost them their jobs. Or, if he's appreciated, like David Sanchez, he gathers his stuff and says goodbye to the company. Attention: it is not true that Sanchez was pushed to leave”. Finally, according to Solms, another excellent farewell could be at the door: "Is Laurent Mekies looking for a home in Paris?"

86legacy
86legacy

One race in and each Italian media outlet seems to have the their own inside scoop on the disfunction at Ferrari. Oddly enough two weeks ago they were oblivious to what is not apparently so easy uncover.

Ferrari is surrounded by a media circus, if ten of its own making, but one that is only made worse by how willing fans are to accept every sensational news story that comes out.
Last edited by 86legacy on 12 Mar 2023, 04:24, edited 1 time in total.

jambuka
jambuka

LEC needs to get out of Ferrari asap. He won't win WDC with Ferrari.

deadhead

jambuka wrote:
12 Mar 2023, 04:24
LEC needs to get out of Ferrari asap. He won't win WDC with Ferrari.
There is a good chance he might, but he does have a contract until 24 and … where would he actually go that would be a better prospect?

FW17

I don't understand why Vasseur, who has not proved much, should be given a free reign of the team.

Vigna wants to in the role of Marchionne, who micro managed everything and he had this bouncer like guy, Arrivabene, to make sure the plan is followed. If worked well.

If Vasseur thinks he is good enough to manage an organization as big and complex as ferrari race team with so much of scrutiny from the car company and press as Marchionni did, then he is sadly mistaken.

All this talk of a engineer/racer to be at the head of racing is nonsense. Leadership is not industry specific.

Andi76
Andi76

JPBD1990 wrote:
11 Mar 2023, 16:11
Yes but is it enough for Leclerc to support Vasseur? The executive chairman and CEO against a team principal and driver?? An EC and CEO that have already displaced a team principal…

Ever since Vigna came on board I’ve had concerns. It’s Montezemolo 2006-onwards all over again. That got us to this point. Marchionne seemed sensible, though too involved in the F1 team, and unfortunately wasn’t around for long enough (RIP) and now history repeats.. again.

I really cannot comprehend the political dysfunction inside Ferrari. The road car division is firing on all cylinders. They’re making more money than ever. Wait lists years long for every vehicle… why do they need their hands in the F1 pie? Why not just throw money at it to install the best people and LEAVE THEM BE?
Unfortunately, what I feared in November (Binotto's resignation/fired) is happening now. I was told then that some people will leave after what happened with Binotto. Now the team is really breaking apart. When a team suddenly changes in so many important positions, it usually has far-reaching consequences that last for years.

What many fans and media don't understand is that F1 is about developing the best technologies and methodologies to design an F1 car. Innovation is the key, not only in the car features but even more in the techniques to develop a car at a faster rate. Even more important is pursuing the best values and the best organization which brings all the people to contribute on the project as a collective effort. This is exactly where Ferrari caught up under Binotto, but was still quite a bit behind Red Bull, who are currently the measure of all things here. Especially the point concerning the development of the car at a faster rate, Ferrari still had to catch up, which also explains why they often fall behind in the development during the season (but the interference in the development plans by the Ferrari bosses is the more serious disadvantage).

Knowing all this, it's easy to understand why stability and continuity are so important, and why in the last 40 years only teams where this was true have been world champions. You also understand why Binotto always tried to protect his people from the recurring mindless demands of the Italian fans and media (which are also a part of Ferrari's problem) and the demands, interference and actions of the Ferrari bosses. Vigna and Elkann have already intervened in setting the design parameters of the SF-23, forcing Binotto, Cardille, Sanchez and their team to change some things and parameters. This happens at Ferrari since Ross Brawn, Rory Byrne are no longer there (the first two years the team still benefited from their legacy) constantly and also before them. When a team has such a disadvantage, it is generally already difficult. But when there is a lack of stability and important people leave, it logically slows down many processes. Until that is "fixed" again and has settled in, you inevitably fall behind. All the other teams have understood this for many years, so no team actually follows this revolving door policy that Ferrari has followed for 15 years and those few who did also failed. 40 years of Formula 1 history prove that you can't be successful like that and Ferrari's history is the prime example. Vasseur is not stupid. In contrast to Elkann and Vigna he is a motorsport expert and engineer. Therefore the claims that he fired these people are surely wrong (if not he is the completely wrong one) i think. He can only watch the consequences of Elkann's and Vigna's actions destroy a team that was about to take the final step. Again...

What I don't understand is how you can go to Ferrari as a team principal (the same would apply to a technical director) without being contractually assured of full decision-making power and responsibility. Especially since Ferrari was in a predicament where they absolutely needed a successor to Binotto. He could have dictated his terms. As Ross Brawn and Rory Byrne did at the time, because since Schumacher wanted them at all costs, they could. Vasseur probably could have done the same, because no one but him wanted to sit in that hot seat. As is reported, he has not only failed to do so, but is even has less power than Binotto had, which in effect makes him a puppet of Vigna, who is simply supposed to implement what the latter tells him to do.

When you hear all this, it becomes clear that Ferrari is worse off than ever before. The team is literally falling apart, which will have consequences, and the new "management structure" not only makes it possible for Ferrari's real problems to be carried forward, no, they are now even the basis of this management structure. No wonder that so many people take their hat. Because at the moment it unfortunately looks like the last 15 titleless years were just the introduction for the worst phase in Ferrari's F1 history. Unfortunately, one can only hope that at least then finally in Italy mind and reason comes in, one takes a look at its own history and then finally understands it! Because it shows actually over clearly everything what is necessary. I'm sorry if this all sounds rather gloomy and hopeless. But finally, if one is realist, that is the picture that arises at the moment.

And it doesn't matter here whether Leclerc supports Vasseur or not. Vassueur has no power. In fact, the only hope is that Leclerc puts a gun to Elkann's and Vigna's heads and forces them to give Vasseur the necessary powers to give him and a yet to be appointed technical director full and sole technical and political control over the F1 team for 5 years. But I can't imagine that Leclerc did that, or that Elkann would follow his demand. Although I think he made it clear to Elkann that 2024 will be his last season at Ferrari if things continue like this and they don't race for the WDC very, very soon. The problem is that if there is sand in the gearbox you have to remove the sand. Cleaning the gearbox housing doesn't help. You have to remove the root of the problem. And that's not going to happen, i fear.

LM10
LM10

Are there any other Binotto people who left or are expected to leave? We know that Sanchez' departure has been clear ever since Binotto left. Any others following?

For now it's only Sanchez who left from the big players. Are we really sure the team is falling apart? The above text sounds way too horrific in my opinion. :)

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

LM10 wrote:
12 Mar 2023, 11:02
Are there any other Binotto people who left or are expected to leave? We know that Sanchez' departure has been clear ever since Binotto left. Any others following?

For now it's only Sanchez who left from the big players. Are we really sure the team is falling apart? The above text sounds way too horrific in my opinion. :)
Rumours of Mekies up next, as well as Cardile and Gualtieri being ‘uncertain’. So, you know, cutting the heads off every key technical department, IF it turns out to be true.

Rumours also suggest Resta could be returning. I respect him a lot but, looking at the Haas these past few seasons it certainly doesn’t suggest he will solve much of this disaster.

LM10
LM10

JPBD1990 wrote:
12 Mar 2023, 11:45
LM10 wrote:

Rumours of Mekies up next, as well as Cardile and Gualtieri being ‘uncertain’. So, you know, cutting the heads off every key technical department, IF it turns out to be true.

Rumours also suggest Resta could be returning. I respect him a lot but, looking at the Haas these past few seasons it certainly doesn’t suggest he will solve much of this disaster.
Where did you read or hear those rumors? Is it a head-rolling or people following Binotto we're looking at? It really does not make sense to wait for the season to start and then start firing people. Also, it does not make any sense either to fire people from every department. Why Gualtieri for example? He has done a good job with the PU. Why Mekies or Cardile?

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

LM10 wrote:
12 Mar 2023, 11:55
JPBD1990 wrote:
12 Mar 2023, 11:45
LM10 wrote:

Where did you read or hear those rumors? Is it a head-rolling or people following Binotto we're looking at? It really does not make sense to wait for the season to start and then start firing people. Also, it does not make any sense either to fire people from every department. Why Gualtieri for example? He has done a good job with the PU. Why Mekies or Cardile?
Can’t speak to the worthiness of the publication, but it’s getting absolutely pumped on Twitter. Every Ferrari page I follow is in full blown disaster mode, citing this article.

https://www.corriere.it/sport/formula-1 ... e86b.shtml

Others are putting Vasseur in a position of power, saying he negotiated total power with Vigna. I don’t personally believe that tbh. Elkann and Vigna seem hellbent on having their little fingers all over the F1 team. Cause, you know, it worked out so well for Montezemolo