Ferrari SF23

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
jambuka
jambuka

Re: Ferrari SF23

Did they bring a new floor as reported or no ? Car seemed stable yesterday on FP1. Minimal bouncing.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

jambuka wrote:
31 Mar 2023, 20:49
Did they bring a new floor as reported or no ? Car seemed stable yesterday on FP1. Minimal bouncing.
If I'm not mistaken, the picture above your post is the "new spec" which was only briefly tested in Jeddah. There is a kickup right at the front of the rear tire.

FDD
FDD

AR3-GP wrote:
31 Mar 2023, 21:29
jambuka wrote:
If I'm not mistaken, the picture above your post is the "new spec" which was only briefly tested in Jeddah. There is a kickup right at the front of the rear tire.
The pictires from Jeddah were not so clear (to me) but I think that this one is from Jeddah.
Also somewhere I read that they confirmed that there are no any updates for MEL.

FDD
FDD

Piergiuseppe Donadoni & Paolo D'Alessandro:
"...a new floor was introduced in Jeddah free practice, recognizable by the modification in front of the rear wheels, which now features an upward bend to better manage the turbulence generated by the rear tyres. A basic specification which , as anticipated , had been brought to Arabia only for "data collection useful for future use" . In short, in Maranello they wanted to remove any doubts regarding the correlation, anticipating the introduction of a fund by one GP that had been approved even before the SF-23s took to the track in Bahrain.
So not a version designed afterwards, to correct the small operating window of the SF-23 but only as a first evolution of the basic specification. A fund that will be tested again in the free practice of the Australian GP, ​​with the aim of keeping it in the car for the whole weekend. Waiting for more substantial updates which, as mentioned above, will arrive in the appointments after the break, with a development program that was already defined in February up to the Spanish GP."

Sevach
Sevach

AR3-GP wrote:
jambuka wrote:
Yes, plus a modified stay.
Seems to have cured bouncing, the car was riding smoothly.

gordonthegun

AR3-GP wrote:
jambuka wrote:
Giorgio Piola said that in FP1 Sainz ran with the new floor (which was tested in Jeddah but didn't race) and Leclerc with the old (which raced in Jeddah).
In FP2 both drivers used the new floor.
To be precise it isn't completely new as the tie rod is positioned in a more external position (in the picture I posted above we can see the old tie rod fixing seat).
In this way, the end of the floor should remain more stable. This year the floors can't flex, the cars are designed for such floors, so if the floor moves, the car doesn't perform properly.

jambuka
jambuka

gordonthegun wrote:
31 Mar 2023, 23:26
AR3-GP wrote:
jambuka wrote:
Giorgio Piola said that in FP1 Sainz ran with the new floor (which was tested in Jeddah but didn't race) and Leclerc with the old (which raced in Jeddah).
In FP2 both drivers used the new floor.
To be precise it isn't completely new as the tie rod is positioned in a more external position (in the picture I posted above we can see the old tie rod fixing seat).
In this way, the end of the floor should remain more stable. This year the floors can't flex, the cars are designed for such floors, so if the floor moves, the car doesn't perform properly.
This makes sense. Just watching from FP1 onboard of both Charles and Carlos, Charles still had a little amount of bouncing. Carlos none whatsoever. Hopefully with this they are able to lower the ride height and find further performance and a broader window.

PlatinumZealot

The new floor should have a floor edge blade. The lack of one now, seem to say Ferrari has been too conservative.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

MassaRondo
MassaRondo

The hole in the floor below the R in Rayban is new to me. Looks like an exit… could be a sensor I guess

gordonthegun

MassaRondo wrote:
01 Apr 2023, 03:04
https://cdn-4.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... ail-1.webp

The hole in the floor below the R in Rayban is new to me. Looks like an exit… could be a sensor I guess
It should be the sensor for tire temperature, it's not new.
More externally and rearward to what you say, (zooming in) we can see a small rectangular darker area that should be the site of the old tie rod fixing.

gordonthegun

Interesting details:

LM10
LM10

Any pictures of the floor?

gordonthegun

IMO, in Austaralia, with Sainz, who's considered not so fast as Leclerc, we've seen the best Ferrari of the first 3 races.
I think it's also due to the new floor edge and the new position of the tie rod, that makes the last part of the floor more stable.

The usual problem is that "This year too, we win next year" (old proverb of the Tifosi).
Anyway, lest we be OT, let's take a look at Leclerc's retired car:

ing.

ing. wrote:
24 Mar 2023, 15:16
JPBD1990 wrote:
24 Mar 2023, 10:30
As far as new rear suspension goes - it seems to be the great Ferrari unicorn. We heard about new rear suspension coming for the F1-75 several times last season. First it was coming at Silverstone, then after the summer break. As far as I’m aware, the mythical suspension never came? Now we’re back to bringing more mythical rear suspension.

Honestly the amount of rumour and conjecture around Ferrari at the moment is so overwhelming it’s impossible to know which ways up. I’ll believe it when I see it.
There was mention at the launch of SF-23 of the rear suspension being multi-link and it looks like the upper wishbone may in fact be 2 separate links joined at the outboard (upright) pick-up.

Potential mods at the rear could possibly be a change in the spring/damper geometry or the inboard pick-ups to affect anti-squat or anti-lift, so not necessarily very visible.

Vanja #66

Probably the first sensible analysis of SF-23 outside of this forum since the Bahrain race:

F1 Ferrari, SF-23 development plan: changing balance, not concept

Scuderia Ferrari believes that at the moment the main problem of the SF-23 is not aerodynamic efficiency, i.e. the ratio between load and drag. In Maranello, in fact, it is thought that the maximum performance of the Red Bull, seen above all in qualifying, is not too far from Red Bull, with the internal impression of always having the potential to fight for pole position. Qualifying in Australia is seen as an anomaly due to human errors on the pit wall and the drivers, which deprived Ferrari of what could have been another front row after Charles Leclerc’s second place on Saturday in Jeddah, later canceled out by the penalty on the grid, and third in qualifying for the Bahrain Grand Prix.

Ferrari is currently working on the mechanical set-up of the suspension to act on aerodynamics, as explained by F1 expert Carlo Platella for formulapassion.it. This means adjusting the static ground clearance and the stiffness of the springs and shock absorbers differently, so as to check how the distance from the ground and the inclination of the car body change when cornering, braking and at various speeds. In other words, in Maranello they try to keep the floor in such a position as to shift the aerodynamic balance of the SF-23 towards the rear, in search of greater stability.

For the moment, therefore, Ferrari continues on its path, until it is thought that the SF-23 can continue to grow. Overturning the concept without the certainty of a clear improvement compared to the current philosophy, of which Mercedes is convinced, would be counterproductive for a threefold reason. In fact, it would force the Maranello team to start from scratch, with little expertise on a concept developed for over a year by its rivals; with the lower cone protecting the passenger compartment not integrated into the bottom, it would be impossible to replicate the sidepods of Red Bull. It would mean Ferrari has to redo the chassis for 2024, with no option to choose whether to reuse the 2023 one instead to save money from the budget cap.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie