2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Mostlyeels
Mostlyeels

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

https://www.mclaren.com/racing/formula- ... -practice/

Stella:
"We’ve had a decent day of practice in Albert Park. The car ran reliably and smoothly. Much of the dry first session was spent working through aerodynamic test items. The rain in FP2 cut the dry running short, but at the same time it presented us with an opportunity to test the car on Intermediates. This was particularly useful for Oscar, being the first time he’s ran these tyres on an F1 car.

"In terms of competitiveness, we seem to be in a position similar to that we had in Saudi, which means we’ll be giving it a good go to get into Q3 tomorrow and to score points in Sunday’s race."

McL-H
McL-H

So both the departure of Seidl and Key should work miracles for the team. Reading all that’s come out they both really messed up and are responsible for the situation the team are currently in. And I think Seidl bailed as soon as he saw the mess he had created. Damn. At least come 2026 that’s one less competitor we need to worry about :lol:

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

McL-H wrote:
31 Mar 2023, 21:49
And I think Seidl bailed as soon as he saw the mess he had created.
I speculated this elsewhere....He didn't want to damage his CV.... :lol:

Mansell89
Mansell89

Oscar looked very tidy in the wet in FP2- intrigued to see him in competitive wet running at some point in the season.

Thought the car looked okay around here -let’s see how things are tomorrow when the wicks get turned up.

Big Tea

McL-H wrote:
So both the departure of Seidl and Key should work miracles for the team. Reading all that’s come out they both really messed up and are responsible for the situation the team are currently in. And I think Seidl bailed as soon as he saw the mess he had created. Damn. At least come 2026 that’s one less competitor we need to worry about :lol:
Is there maybe something wrong with the recruitment process? Anyone can make a bad selection, but is seems there were more than one.

We can only go on paddock gossip but we would expect 'the powers' within Mclaren to have far more inside information than we do
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Big Tea wrote:
31 Mar 2023, 23:21
McL-H wrote:
Is there maybe something wrong with the recruitment process? Anyone can make a bad selection, but is seems there were more than one.

We can only go on paddock gossip but we would expect 'the powers' within Mclaren to have far more inside information than we do
James Key was seen as a major coup when we signed him. Ferrari wanted him, also Williams, STR made it difficult for him to go, he didn't leave until his exit clause became active in March 2019. Even as recently as last week, the journos were saying hoe Seidl was a huge loss, Sauber won the Team Principal silly season. Then we move to Daniel Ricciardo, the one time next big thing. He was probably pound for pound the best driver in 2020 with Renault, he was showing his speed once again looked hungry. It seemed like we were getting him at just the right time. On paper all these signings were dream signings. I honestly don't know how 3 out of 3 major signings ended up being duds. Bad luck, or does McLaren not know how to get the best out of personnel?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Zynerji

Ground Effect wrote:
31 Mar 2023, 23:31
Big Tea wrote:
McL-H wrote:

James Key was seen as a major coup when we signed him. Ferrari wanted him, also Williams, STR made it difficult for him to go, he didn't leave until his exit clause became active in March 2019. Even as recently as last week, the journos were saying hoe Seidl was a huge loss, Sauber won the Team Principal silly season. Then we move to Daniel Ricciardo, the one time next big thing. He was probably pound for pound the best driver in 2020 with Renault, he was showing his speed once again looked hungry. It seemed like we were getting him at just the right time. On paper all these signings were dream signings. I honestly don't know how 3 out of 3 major signings ended up being duds. Bad luck, or does McLaren not know how to get the best out of personnel?
Leadership makes all the difference.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Ground Effect wrote:
31 Mar 2023, 23:31
Big Tea wrote:
McL-H wrote:

Daniel was having a great run in 2020 but Mclaren got greedy. They didn’t NEED someone like Daniel because they had Norris. They should have signed Hulkenberg instead. That would have save both Hulk and Daniel’s careers. Norris is the show piece. Hulk is the reliable P5-P8 points scorer.

Mostlyeels
Mostlyeels

Mansell89 wrote:
31 Mar 2023, 22:31
Oscar looked very tidy in the wet in FP2- intrigued to see him in competitive wet running at some point in the season.

Thought the car looked okay around here -let’s see how things are tomorrow when the wicks get turned up.
I think I saw more of McLaren yesterday than I did in the previous two race weekends :) Obviously it's the home town thing. Would be great to see Piastri in some competitive wet running in a race, as he seems quite comfortable in the car already (barring a few early moments in the session).

All I'm hoping for this weekend is a clean quali and race, and to try and figure out who our actual enemies in the midfield are.

ort895
ort895

Clutch problem for Lando. Reliability has not been great to start the year.

djos

Mostlyeels wrote:
01 Apr 2023, 00:37
Mansell89 wrote:
31 Mar 2023, 22:31

I think I saw more of McLaren yesterday than I did in the previous two race weekends :) Obviously it's the home town thing. Would be great to see Piastri in some competitive wet running in a race, as he seems quite comfortable in the car already (barring a few early moments in the session).

All I'm hoping for this weekend is a clean quali and race, and to try and figure out who our actual enemies in the midfield are.
Oscar was on rails yesterday in the wet conditions during his long run on Inters - he didn't put a wheel wrong and was positively metronomic in his consistency.
"In downforce we trust"

djos

Shocking P3 session for Lando, he’s spent about half the session in the garage with some sort of problem.

Reasonable session for Oscar, unfortunately the McLaren just looks slow.
"In downforce we trust"

organic

djos wrote:
01 Apr 2023, 05:13
Shocking P3 session for Lando, he’s spent about half the session in the garage with some sort of problem.

Reasonable session for Oscar, unfortunately the McLaren just looks slow.
Early in the session when others were doing push laps on softs Norris mixed it with the better times with medium tyres on to be fair. Shame about the reliability problem though

Mostlyeels
Mostlyeels

Damn shame about Lando's mechanical. I turned the broadcast off just as they were saying the stewards had noted something w.r.t. Piastri. Did anyone hear what it was?

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Mostlyeels wrote:
01 Apr 2023, 05:39
Damn shame about Lando's mechanical. I turned the broadcast off just as they were saying the stewards had noted something w.r.t. Piastri. Did anyone hear what it was?
Practice start infringement (alleged)