2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
BMMR61

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Phew, if that bad luck had continued the final (chaotic) restart could have taken our guys down or out, instead we got Oscar's first points in F1 - and well deserved. Maybe the moaning trolls will stay away for a while - "Oscar is nothing special" my ass! Obviously the pick of the rookies this year and at least the most promising since George and Lando four years ago, he never put a foot wrong and was lapping within a couple of tenths of Lando who was stellar today. As has been said, the low speed grip is a big improvement and if we get the hoped for improvement from the new floor and other parts we could well be mixing it with Ferrari who aren't looking great. Jumping to 5th in WCC and Lando to 8th in WDC is unbelievable, I'm so glad McLaren's true fans stuck with it over some sticky moments - true fans! 8)

mwillems

organic wrote:
02 Apr 2023, 11:42
Norris best of the rest in wdc, team is 5th in constructors. Not bad in what many here would call a shitbox

Of course required great deal of luck and others to dnf, but maximizing results is what you want from drivers and they kept their noses clean.
It's clear that a lot of our poor results is down to the car only in part but also some poor luck and driver mistakes.

Then you have the media and people in here like @Lucky trolling because the circumstances seem ripe, but coming into our first major upgrade we are probably in a position that most would say is agreeable at this point.

Baku is a tight and twisty circuit so the car will do well in those aspects. The team have said the next upgrade will tackle the aero efficiency, and it will need to with the enormous straights in Baku but I am certainly looking forward to the next race.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

djos

Baku has a 1.9km straight, if the drs / drag issue isn’t solved, both drivers will be sitting ducks.
"In downforce we trust"

mclaren111

djos wrote:
02 Apr 2023, 10:47
Ben1980 wrote:
02 Apr 2023, 10:39
Guess it's just about maximising what we have. It didn't seem easy for many to overtake, even with drs.
Well except for RedBull, they were rocket ships with drs open.

Btw, after one of the Alpine idiots took out Oscar and Lando the other week, it was so nice of them to take each other out and give our boys some valuable points.
:D =D> :D

Darth-Piekus

Finally some good result on the way to recovery. On another note is it true that the stewards took bad decision after bad decision? I haven't watched the race but I'm seeing comments that were against most of the decisions today.

By the way. I'm hearing Hass made an appeal over the results. It's not the first time they do that. Have they found something or are they sore losers?

chrisc90

Darth-Piekus wrote:
02 Apr 2023, 13:02
Finally some good result on the way to recovery. On another note is it true that the stewards took bad decision after bad decision? I haven't watched the race but I'm seeing comments that were against most of the decisions today.

By the way. I'm hearing Hass made an appeal over the results. It's not the first time they do that. Have they found something or are they sore losers?
Id say spend 5minutes watching the last 3 laps of the race, but you would end up sat there for a hour and a half.

The stewards were clueless today. Haas have every right to appeal and I imagine the result will change tonight.

Macklaren
Macklaren

First time in 2 years that it was through to watch a McLaren driver pull off some great overtakes. We were due this good luck after the misfortune of the first 2 races.

Being within 14 pts of P4 in the WCC and 12 pts of P5 in the WDC is a stellar outcome for the flyaway way after the way the season started. All to play for from here and P4 still well within reach. This result will be a big shot in the arm at Woking as well.

Swed3121
Swed3121

If the stewards decided to remove Oscar from the points, Good luck to the them getting out of Aussieland without being dragged behind a chippy and taught a lesson on why you don’t remove Oscar’s first points at his home GP by a couple of blokes with mullets

Macklaren
Macklaren

chrisc90 wrote:
02 Apr 2023, 13:05

The stewards were clueless today. Haas have every right to appeal and I imagine the result will change tonight.

There is a good chance that both McLaren drivers will gain more positions if Haas wins their appeal (they were p6/p7 before the third Red flag...if the order was restored to that point and Sainz got his penalty, there is one more position to be gained...assuming the stewards know the real time timing loop gap between the drivers without passing through a sector)

PS: agree that steward decision making was terrible today. None of the red flags were warranted, Sainz didn't deserve a penalty and Yuki did deserve a penalty for needlessly running into Oscar on the straight.

chrisc90

Macklaren wrote:
02 Apr 2023, 13:14
chrisc90 wrote:
02 Apr 2023, 13:05

There is a good chance that both McLaren drivers will gain more positions if Haas wins their appeal (they were p6/p7 before the third Red flag...if the order was restored to that point and Sainz got his penalty, there is one more position to be gained...assuming the stewards know the real time timing loop gap between the drivers without passing through a sector)

PS: agree that steward decision making was terrible today. None of the red flags were warranted, Sainz didn't deserve a penalty and Yuki did deserve a penalty for needlessly running into Oscar on the straight.
It gets complicated though when your last good timing lap was the grid prior to the 1st red flag caused by the Haas. No meaningful timing data was made before the red flag at the restart. Similar happened in Silverstone last year when Max lost his position at the restart due to not completing enough distance before the Red flag come out again.

Only way I can see good of this is to go back to the result that formed the grid at the restart, including the cars that were totalled, and declare the race result as per Lap 55/56 I think it was; That will put Norris P8 and Oscar P11.

mclaren111

@adamcooperF1:
FIA still debating merits of @HaasF1Team protest. Team thinks order for final restart should be taken from SC2 line, not previous grid, and thus HUL should be ahead of NOR in the final results

Let's hope not...

Lucky
Lucky

mclaren111 wrote:
02 Apr 2023, 14:52
@adamcooperF1:
FIA still debating merits of @HaasF1Team protest. Team thinks order for final restart should be taken from SC2 line, not previous grid, and thus HUL should be ahead of NOR in the final results

Let's hope not...

djos

Good news! 👌
"In downforce we trust"

Darth-Piekus

You know it's not the first time Haas has protested a result. Sounds to me like sore losers.

Lucky
Lucky