2023 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
torpor
torpor

Re: 2023 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

I'm afraid Mercedes is in a similar difficult situation linke after '22 season.

They think about radical changes on the car after a very competitive and successful race.

What do you think Melbourne performance affects the plans Toto announced agter Saidi Arabia GP?

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

torpor wrote:
03 Apr 2023, 20:31

They think about radical changes on the car after a very competitive and successful race.

What do you think Melbourne performance affects the plans Toto announced agter Saidi Arabia GP?
I dont think it affects their plans at all. I think its generally understood their improvement this weekend is due to the low deg track, the track layout itself combined with some positive setup changes. The imola upgrade is still on track and it will mark the beginning of their new direction. Now dont expect a redbull lookalike. Mike elliott said during testing its gonna look like an evolution of this car, but will have sidepods. The mid wing is probably gone and the bath tub like engine cover section will likely change too. But most likely they will bring a new floor as well. Cant wait to see the actual car.

ValeVida46

Hammerfist wrote:
03 Apr 2023, 21:14
torpor wrote:

I dont think it affects their plans at all. I think its generally understood their improvement this weekend is due to the low deg track, the track layout itself combined with some positive setup changes. The imola upgrade is still on track and it will mark the beginning of their new direction. Now dont expect a redbull lookalike. Mike elliott said during testing its gonna look like an evolution of this car, but will have sidepods. The mid wing is probably gone and the bath tub like engine cover section will likely change too. But most likely they will bring a new floor as well. Cant wait to see the actual car.
As an addition, Australia is a front limited track which will disguise issues if a car has a relatively weaker rear end as the W14 does.

toraabe
toraabe

Re: Mercedes W14

AR3-GP wrote:
28 Mar 2023, 19:35
AA_2019 wrote:
28 Mar 2023, 19:30
At 6:05, the table shows the Merc is slowest with DRS open. Any thoughts?

It's not clear that Mercedes solved their drag problem.

All they did was bolt on a lower downforce, lower drag rear wing. Now Hamilton complains that he lacks confidence in the rear of the car, and Mercedes say the car does not have enough downforce.

Chopping up the rear wing has that effect... #-o
As I have mentioned before. I a sure that they have slightly miscalculated the final drive that is a bit too short. The engine is reaching it target rpm with Drs closed in which is fine. RB reaches the same rpm with its Drs open and 35 km higher top speed. Due to the fuel restrictions and that the maximum fuel flow occurs at 10500 rpm, all the engines has basically more or less the same power curve. They can change the final drive ratio, but it has to be declared and approved by all the other teams. Any taughts on this?

basti313
basti313

torpor wrote:

I think it is clear, but usually in this thread Toto is a godlike figure:
- You do not talk about your development, especially not in a way like this, so not about real things that happen.
- What Toto sais and what really happens is always two different things. This is not different from most team managers...
- They have a plan from beginning of the season and they follow it. Maybe they adjust a bit to make the rear stronger, but a concept change is nonsense.
- They simply can not change the rads packing mid-season, there is no resources for this. They would need to make changes to the tub. So any sidepod change is limited to a bit of changing the air flow, that anyways any team is doing all the time.
Don`t russel the hamster!

Re: Mercedes W14

toraabe wrote:
04 Apr 2023, 10:40
AR3-GP wrote:
28 Mar 2023, 19:35
AA_2019 wrote:
28 Mar 2023, 19:30
At 6:05, the table shows the Merc is slowest with DRS open. Any thoughts?

It's not clear that Mercedes solved their drag problem.

All they did was bolt on a lower downforce, lower drag rear wing. Now Hamilton complains that he lacks confidence in the rear of the car, and Mercedes say the car does not have enough downforce.

Chopping up the rear wing has that effect... #-o
As I have mentioned before. I a sure that they have slightly miscalculated the final drive that is a bit too short. The engine is reaching it target rpm with Drs closed in which is fine. RB reaches the same rpm with its Drs open and 35 km higher top speed. Due to the fuel restrictions and that the maximum fuel flow occurs at 10500 rpm, all the engines has basically more or less the same power curve. They can change the final drive ratio, but it has to be declared and approved by all the other teams. Any taughts on this?
Interesting theory.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

ValeVida46

basti313 wrote:
04 Apr 2023, 11:04
- You do not talk about your development, especially not in a way like this, so not about real things that happen.
- What Toto sais and what really happens is always two different things. This is not different from most team managers...
- They have a plan from beginning of the season and they follow it. Maybe they adjust a bit to make the rear stronger, but a concept change is nonsense.
- They simply can not change the rads packing mid-season, there is no resources for this. They would need to make changes to the tub. So any sidepod change is limited to a bit of changing the air flow, that anyways any team is doing all the time.
And it stands to reason that a team boss would know more about what is planned than a poster on this thread. :D

Williams and Aston Martin managed to change with a different rad configuration last year, as specified on these very pages where they came with different cooling centrelines and Radiator layouts compared to the start of the season. So it would be interesting to know why Williams and Aston Martin can do so, but Mercedes cannot?

viewtopic.php?t=30209&start=345

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/will ... /10330724/

basti313
basti313

ValeVida46 wrote:
04 Apr 2023, 13:14
basti313 wrote:
And it stands to reason that a team boss would know more about what is planned than a poster on this thread. :D
Yes, I would never say different. My argument is that he would never tell the other smart posters on this thread or the other teams the truth about what is planned.
ValeVida46 wrote:
04 Apr 2023, 13:14
Williams and Aston Martin managed to change with a different rad configuration last year, as specified on these very pages where they came with different cooling centrelines and Radiator layouts compared to the start of the season. So it would be interesting to know why Williams and Aston Martin can do so, but Mercedes cannot?

viewtopic.php?t=30209&start=345

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/will ... /10330724/
Because they did not.
For Williams it is a quite obvious backmarker move, they just changed the rad angle a bit, moved some auxiliaries. We can argue without making a real point about the word "concept", but they just put a big, empty piece of bodywork in front of the rear wheel. For me this is a quick fix of a bad car, not a concept. I would even say it was not a fix, it did not make the car any better.
Same for Aston. They did not make the car any better with a 1:1 sidepod copy of the RedBull. Because they could only change the internals for the 23 season. The performance jump is obvious, isn't it?

This is definitely not what Merc needs to do, Merc needs a concept to be/stay in the top 3.
Don`t russel the hamster!

Farnborough
Farnborough

"Same for Aston. They did not make the car any better with a 1:1 sidepod copy of the RedBull. Because they could only change the internals for the 23 season. The performance jump is obvious, isn't it?"

The AM shift from 22 to 23 also has completely different suspension design front, new MB rear suspension to add to that sidepod change too. It's not just the pod surface or internal that shifted.

MB appears to have better understanding and range of compensation in their suspension this year too.

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

basti313 wrote:
torpor wrote:

If anyone knows what Mercedes is doing at the Factory it will be Toto Wolff, the buck stops with him. Yes he engages in PR spin, but he's not going to say precisely what Mercedes are focusing on to deflect attention from the other teams.
Erm Toto owns 33% of the Mercedes team, he's not exactly like other F1 team bosses.
It's clear the W14 is not what they expected performance wise and have had to change plans rapidly. The big changes probably won't appear until later in the season. They can and will change the concept if the current one is not going to get them on par with Red Bull. Even if the change doesn't bear fruit until 2024.
If they need to rejig the cooling systems they'll find a way to do it, likely at the expense of other developments. What they won't do is redesign the chassis from the ground up for this season, that'll be in the pipeline for 2024.

As for Melbourne? They got the W14 into a good operating window, that might not be easy replicate at other circuits.

ValeVida46

basti313 wrote:
04 Apr 2023, 14:06
Because they did not.
For Williams it is a quite obvious backmarker move, they just changed the rad angle a bit, moved some auxiliaries. We can argue without making a real point about the word "concept", but they just put a big, empty piece of bodywork in front of the rear wheel. For me this is a quick fix of a bad car, not a concept. I would even say it was not a fix, it did not make the car any better.
Same for Aston. They did not make the car any better with a 1:1 sidepod copy of the RedBull. Because they could only change the internals for the 23 season. The performance jump is obvious, isn't it?

This is definitely not what Merc needs to do, Merc needs a concept to be/stay in the top 3.
I've provided the links to show that Williams did indeed change their cooling and rad positioning.
Aston too as pointed out here by the intrepid Fabrega.
viewtopic.php?t=30211&start=495

Whether that means quick fix of a bad car does not mean it's not possible to change as you suggest, nor does it automatically mean it will be bad.
As for what the gain would be for Mercedes to play around with their concept, only they would know as they are privy to the data.
I for one would not be inclined to say what Mercedes should or should not do, because of that very reason.
Everything is Data dependant, making assumptions based on what Aston and Williams did last year essentially ignores where they are this year...ie ahead of where they were last year. Surely that is ample evidence of progress.

Besides, we don't know what their changes will be and surely they deserve the same opportunity afforded to every other team to change based on their own data?

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

:shock:

This is considered to be well above average.
A lion must kill its prey.

ringo

AR3-GP wrote:
04 Apr 2023, 22:10
https://preview.redd.it/ebrccbwz6wra1.j ... d064fba41f

That's called jumping the gun. In track and feild any superhuman reactions are deemed as moving before physically hearing the gun fire.
I know reacting to starting a race on legs is different than launching a car, but it goes to show the kid loves to gamble. It's admirable that he is willing to push the limits and take risks.
For Sure!!

Zynerji

ringo wrote:
05 Apr 2023, 06:01
AR3-GP wrote:

That's called jumping the gun. In track and feild any superhuman reactions are deemed as moving before physically hearing the gun fire.
I know reacting to starting a race on legs is different than launching a car, but it goes to show the kid loves to gamble. It's admirable that he is willing to push the limits and take risks.
I think drag racing deletes any start under .2s reaction time.

aran.vtec
aran.vtec

Zynerji wrote:
05 Apr 2023, 06:29
ringo wrote:
05 Apr 2023, 06:01
AR3-GP wrote:

I think drag racing deletes any start under .2s reaction time.
wasn't this rule changed after bottas jump start in 2017 when he moved before lights went out but didn't trigger the transponder?