Ferrari SF23

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Farnborough
Farnborough

Re: Ferrari SF23

Thank you, I'll read through that thread.

Has the subject of what happens to flow when the internal sidepod/cooling flow reaches peak and the difference between that and outside flow at higher vehicle speed been discussed anywhere?

Vanja #66

Farnborough wrote:
18 Apr 2023, 08:07
Thank you, I'll read through that thread.

Has the subject of what happens to flow when the internal sidepod/cooling flow reaches peak and the difference between that and outside flow at higher vehicle speed been discussed anywhere?
Not that I recall. To be honest, it's impossible to accurately predict such details with very limited access to internal ducting. The tubs are used to "increase" the pressure in them after the downward curve above inlet, just like the concave upper surface of the wing, this much we know. Pressure distribution in the tubs was confirmed to me by an F1 engineer as "surface Cp distribution makes sense" - so the unfortunate downvoter can feel free to remove his nonsense downvote.

However, interaction with cooling louvres is harder to analyse. On the bottom photo, if I would have to take a guess, I'd say the air exits the radiator perpendicularly of course, hitting the louvres (inside the black patch). This pressurises the zone slightly and leads the air down and outside. Or the louvres go almost all the way to the radiator core to produce the same effect at once.

Louvres on rear wing endplates were used for minimal downforce gain while they were allowed. I'm not sure if the same aero mechanism is applied here, I'd say for cooling it's the opposite.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Farnborough
Farnborough

Presumably the vertical exit there (next to the black louvre panel) is coming up from "F" duct entry ? Its quite a size if that's the case.

The two mirror support horizontal elements, are they there to promote a more laminar wash of top side pod surface? A trim plane shift to keep air attached to top surface as I understand it.

Most of the teams seem to have a version of that mirror horizontal item.

Vanja #66

Farnborough wrote:
19 Apr 2023, 11:18
Presumably the vertical exit there (next to the black louvre panel) is coming up from "F" duct entry ? Its quite a size if that's the case.

The two mirror support horizontal elements, are they there to promote a more laminar wash of top side pod surface? A trim plane shift to keep air attached to top surface as I understand it.

Most of the teams seem to have a version of that mirror horizontal item.
It's an S duct, it's completely passive, F ducts were driver-controlled. Horizontal mirror brackets are used to help condition the flow around and over the inlet. Inlet flow rate changes slightly with speed, so spillage needs to be under control when thin leading edges are used.

#BlessYouLaddie

Farnborough
Farnborough

Apologies about wrong duct identification, was the one they used from under nose and exit on top of tub in front of driver also referred to as "S" ?

Interesting the flow from cooling system (pod entry to exit venting) is not really talked about. The flow through there must at some point peak relative to exterior flow, plus any flow "bulking" around intake now has to travel externally too. This must change the downstream performance considerably.

ing.

Farnborough wrote:
21 Apr 2023, 09:37
Apologies about wrong duct identification, was the one they used from under nose and exit on top of tub in front of driver also referred to as "S" ?

Interesting the flow from cooling system (pod entry to exit venting) is not really talked about. The flow through there must at some point peak relative to exterior flow, plus any flow "bulking" around intake now has to travel externally too. This must change the downstream performance considerably.
The original S-duct—“s” as is the s-shaped flow field created—was meant to accommodate, and so reduce blockage of, the upwash generated by the center, spoon section of the FW, thereby improving its effectiveness.

The s-duct on SF-23 seems almost inconsequential in comparison, given its size and location, and is likely only an accessories cooling device.

There could be some spillage at the inlet depending on the pressure gradient within the duct but this will not have much impact on the local flow, again due to the size and location of the inlet.

hollus

Several posts have been deleted, they were about a Blue car.
And for the record, a video in Italian is only acceptable if it is accompanied of an English summary of the key points (or if it is about key images, again, highlighted in English). This forum works in English, even in this thread. Posts in Italian are likely to be deleted as soon as they get noticed (and such a deletion triggered this note). Linking to Italian sources but with an English summary in the post, that is OK.
Rivals, not enemies.

Vanja #66

New flaps (low downforce) can be seen on the second top nose, noticeably smaller angle and outboard section. Other flaps seem "standard"

We can expect Ferrari to bring either the same rear wing like last year or redesigned with single pylon.

Photos by Fabrega

#BlessYouLaddie

jambuka
jambuka

Vanja #66 wrote:
26 Apr 2023, 15:29
New flaps (low downforce) can be seen on the second top nose, noticeably smaller angle and outboard section. Other flaps seem "standard"

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fuo9xluWAAA ... ame=medium

We can expect Ferrari to bring either the same rear wing like last year or redesigned with single pylon.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FU5-CntWQAA ... ame=medium

Photos by Fabrega
Will they go back to non single pylon wing after trying so hard in practice and the races to make it work ?

Xwang
Xwang

Vanja #66 wrote:

Photos by Fabrega
Why the nose is black? I remember they used that colour scheme after the death of Sergio Marchionne or Gianni Agnelli and without sponsors after 11/9/2001 ...

organic

Xwang wrote:
26 Apr 2023, 20:49
Vanja #66 wrote:

Photos by Fabrega
Why the nose is black? I remember they used that colour scheme after the death of Sergio Marchionne or Gianni Agnelli and without sponsors after 11/9/2001 ...
The vanity cover isn't yet fitted. Underneath the vanity cover is exposed carbon

gordonthegun

FWs in Baku:

christian.falavena

Photos by Fabrega.
Seems to have nothing new

gordonthegun

Why double pylon again? Did they recycle last year one?
Confirmed floor with more external tie-rod as in Australia.

christian.falavena

Ferrari SF23

gordonthegun wrote:
Why double pylon again? Did they recycle last year one?
Confirmed floor with more external tie-rod as in Australia.
Maybe they want to maximize downforce coming from the beam wing/diffuser trying to use the double pylon to straightener the flows? Using the pylon as flow conditioner I mean