2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Lucky
Lucky

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

mwillems wrote:
07 May 2023, 08:36
Ben1980 wrote:
07 May 2023, 08:30
The team now the car was a mess before the season. They are trying to catch up, they sacked the TD, and have been bringing people in to build the strength up.

It's unfortunately a work in progress.

But those tractor pictures or saying brick are justvso damn witty though...
Unfortunately the intention behind it is just to troll.

5 races he's been repeating the same thing. 4 races he's been wrong and now we have a genuinely poor car performance he's all over the trolling.

Inevitably his posts will be removed like the rest, in the meantime the majority have since blanked him, as I will continue to do.
how gentle you are, offended by the truth.
Some excuses, McLaren made a very bad car and that's a fact.

Lucky
Lucky

Ben1980 wrote:
The team now the car was a mess before the season. They are trying to catch up, they sacked the TD, and have been bringing people in to build the strength up.

Why are you all so afraid of the truth? Look for excuses instead of accepting the fact.

mwillems

MrGapes wrote:
07 May 2023, 08:35
mwillems wrote:
07 May 2023, 07:10
Looking at telemetry our fastest trait is still corner exit, it is just that soon after corner exit we are mugged on speed.
I don't even think we were that bad on the straights relative to every car other than the Red Bull, it was weirdly in 1 or 2 corners we lost everything

Ham: Turn 16 and 17 +0.5
Per: Turn 17 +0.5 (we were within 0.25 of Perez before the last corner... and he went P3)
Sai: Turn 11 and 17 +0.6
Lec Turn 11 and 17 +0.5

We lost the entirety of the lap time in one or two corners...

Lando Q1 P16 vs Sainz Q1 P2 -0.708

Lando loses nearly half a second in T11

https://ibb.co/WfZv3DT
I'll try and post the Norris vs Ham telemetry in a minute, but as as soon as we were out of S1 we were slower than the Mercedes everywhere apart from the corner exit.

They were faster than us very soon after exit, which is a speed issue.

And the Merc has too much drag too, that's how slow we were here.

It could be that we also treat our tyres badly, they are very fickle this year, but if so its a problem with the car that needs fixing.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Mostlyeels
Mostlyeels

mwillems wrote:
07 May 2023, 09:06
MrGapes wrote:
mwillems wrote:
07 May 2023, 07:10
Looking at telemetry our fastest trait is still corner exit, it is just that soon after corner exit we are mugged on speed.
I don't even think we were that bad on the straights relative to every car other than the Red Bull, it was weirdly in 1 or 2 corners we lost everything

Per: Turn 17 +0.5 (we were within 0.25 of Perez before the last corner... and he went P3)
Lec Turn 11 and 17 +0.5

I'll try and post the Norris vs Ham telemetry in a minute, but as as soon as we were out of S1 we were slower than the Mercedes everywhere apart from the corner exit.

So a traction issue? Thanks for posting the telemetry BTW.

Stig14
Stig14

mwillems wrote:
07 May 2023, 08:36
Ben1980 wrote:

Inevitably his posts will be removed like the rest, in the meantime the majority have since blanked him, as I will continue to do.
Well reminded - thank you. User popped on ignore to save the hassle!

Looking forward to the race, what are we expecting strategy wise? All talk has been about a 1 stopper (in dry conditions) but the team has saves two sets of hards so are they expecting a 2 stop race with high thermal deg? Perhaps they simply knew they wouldn't need loads of softs for quali (sadly) and figured the extra set of hards might give them more strategic options in case of safety cars/red flags?

mwillems

Mostlyeels wrote:
07 May 2023, 09:11
mwillems wrote:
07 May 2023, 09:06
MrGapes wrote:

Lec Turn 11 and 17 +0.5

So a traction issue? Thanks for posting the telemetry BTW.
No, corner exit is good, it's everything after that 😁

-Bandit

Ben1980
Ben1980

Lucky wrote:
07 May 2023, 08:54
Ben1980 wrote:

Why are you all so afraid of the truth? Look for excuses instead of accepting the fact.
What does that even mean?

The fact is, the car wasn't good enough, they sacked the guy in charge, put in a new process to make things better, including recruitment from Ferrari and a new structure. They are actively working on trying to improve it all.

I think every fan is fully aware of the facts.

But those tractor pictures...keep at it, it's so good.

CjC
CjC

Mostlyeels wrote:
07 May 2023, 00:13
Slahinki wrote:
06 May 2023, 23:48
ScottR267 wrote:
06 May 2023, 23:43
Corrr a lot of fickleness in here isn’t there.

Last week McLaren were back after Baku qualifying, now it’s the end of the world after a bad weekend.

I think after the start of the season, surely we all knew the upgrade at Baku wasn’t a silver bullet which improved the speed by 1 second like some like to bang on about in here…..
If there's one thing you can count on in the McLaren team threads on F1technical it's drama, abundant amounts of drama.
Haha yes, always gets a bit fruity in here after a poor result. To be fair, just check the Mercedes or Ferrari team threads for the same thing :)

In other news, Gil de Ferran is back, for a year it seems, to help with restructuring. https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/65515325
They could do to sign another man from that era too. A certain Pat Fry.
I thought it was a shame then when Fry, Key and Mclaren couldn’t facilitate a structure to suit them all- resulting in Fry leaving.
It’s no coincidence that the Alpine has good down force and low drag.
Just a fan's point of view

Lucky
Lucky

Ben1980 wrote:
07 May 2023, 09:18
Lucky wrote:
Ben1980 wrote:

The fact is, the car wasn't good enough, they sacked the guy in charge, put in a new process to make things better, including recruitment from Ferrari and a new structure. They are actively working on trying to improve it all.

These are excuses, McLaren has not built a top car for more than 10 years.
Engineers change, engines change, and the team cannot regularly fight for victories. Maybe the problem is something else, in the owners? Stroll came to AM and after a short time they are 2 team.

Lucky
Lucky

Maybe instead of fighting for Piastri and paying compensation to Rick, it was necessary to buy Fallows?

mwillems

CjC wrote:
07 May 2023, 09:22
Mostlyeels wrote:
07 May 2023, 00:13
Slahinki wrote:
06 May 2023, 23:48

If there's one thing you can count on in the McLaren team threads on F1technical it's drama, abundant amounts of drama.
Haha yes, always gets a bit fruity in here after a poor result. To be fair, just check the Mercedes or Ferrari team threads for the same thing :)

In other news, Gil de Ferran is back, for a year it seems, to help with restructuring. https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/65515325
They could do to sign another man from that era too. A certain Pat Fry.
I thought it was a shame then when Fry, Key and Mclaren couldn’t facilitate a structure to suit them all- resulting in Fry leaving.
It’s no coincidence that the Alpine has good down force and low drag.
They are still behind us in the table and only finished ahead last year due to a better driver pairing.

I'd not be happy to be an Alpine fan either these past few years.

Aston have set the benchmark for what can be done with the right knowledge and a bit of luck and Neither Mclaren or Alpine can shy away from their achievements, even if Alonso skills flatter the car a bit.

-Bandit

CjC
CjC

Lucky wrote:
07 May 2023, 09:26
Ben1980 wrote:
Lucky wrote:

Engineers change, engines change, and the team cannot regularly fight for victories. Maybe the problem is something else, in the owners? Stroll came to AM and after a short time they are 2 team.
Hired talent from the top teams, uses a state of the art wind tunnel and buys a PU and transmission from another.
Just a fan's point of view

Lucky
Lucky

Why McLaren Formula E, Extreme?
If you chase two hares, you won't catch up with one.

Lucky
Lucky

CjC wrote:
07 May 2023, 09:32
Lucky wrote:
Ben1980 wrote:

Hired talent from the top teams, uses a state of the art wind tunnel and buys a PU and transmission from another.
Why couldn't McLaren find a modern wind tunnel? Maybe because their priorities are different, they hired 10 pilots, everyone laughed at them.

Ben1980
Ben1980

Lucky wrote:
Ben1980 wrote:
Lucky wrote:

Don't feed the troll, I know but...

Who is saying they have built a top car?

In those 10 years, you cant say they didn't try, they've moved engine suppliers, sacked team principles and employed team principles.

And Stroll has been at AM 5 years, 4 of which they've been behind Mclaren. Now they have 5 races looking pretty good. But, they won't fight for wins. I'd be surprised if they won this year, or even next.