2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
McG

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

djos wrote:
13 May 2023, 02:14
And I got laughed at for saying the car was deeply flawed! If McLaren fixed this issue, Daniel would not have had his confidence destroyed. If race car drivers can't predict the car behaviour, it's hard for them to trust the car and drive it to the limit, that's just a fact! 😡
Despite the shift to ground-effect design standards for 2022, last season's MCL36 was still plagued by the same curve-center driving unpredictability that was already experienced in 2021. Lando Norris raised the same complaint about the current MCL60,
No, you got laughed at because 1 driver extracted the maximum from the car e.g doing his job, and 1 driver didn't do his job because he was incapable. Yes that's a strong word but that was the reality. It's a shame getting laughed at has gave people free living space in your mind. My advice would be to completely move on from your delusion for your own personal benefit.
Finally, everyone knows that Red Bull is a joke and Max Verstappen is overrated.

billamend
billamend

djos wrote:
And I got laughed at for saying the car was deeply flawed! If McLaren fixed this issue, Daniel would not have had his confidence destroyed. If race car drivers can't predict the car behaviour, it's hard for them to trust the car and drive it to the limit, that's just a fact! 😡
Only one side of the garage gets a flawed car. Everyone knows that /s

djos

AR3-GP wrote:
13 May 2023, 02:16
djos wrote:
Despite the shift to ground-effect design standards for 2022, last season's MCL36 was still plagued by the same curve-center driving unpredictability that was already experienced in 2021. Lando Norris raised the same complaint about the current MCL60,
Lando and Piastri have been close and the car might be flawed but both of them are currently extracting all that it has. Piastri proved he can adapt. Why Daniel could not do that is no longer Mclaren's problem. Their problem is the car is just slow.
It's still pisses me off that Lando was reporting this back in 2021 and the issue has not been fixed, imagine how much faster the car would be if it didnt have this issue and the drivers could actually trust it on the limit.
"In downforce we trust"

mwillems

AR3-GP wrote:
13 May 2023, 00:18
mwillems wrote:
12 May 2023, 22:54
Two more rounds of updates before the summer break, in Canada and Silverstone. The Silverstone update will be another floor, which they don't want to introduce in Austria because it is another sprint race and this upgrade is too big for a 1 practise event.

If the "smaller" Baku update was worth 2-3 tenths, it will be interesting to see what these two updates will bring if they are both bigger than Baku. Perhaps just bigger in scope but not as relatively bigger in time.

Stella expects it to put us regularly in the points.

There are also minor upgrades coming to Imola.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/sizeable- ... t-upgrade/
It seems like sprints are preventing teams from improving...
Yeah they are a pain. 1 practise is not really enough to get an optimal setup let alone test parts.

They did it at Baku as the change was smaller, apparently these changes are much bigger, which correlates with Stella's B spec comments.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

djos wrote:
No.

I supported the idea that traits carried over, I remember have a long discussion with SmallSoldier with us taking opposing viewpoints. And I recall a similar conversation before 22 about the fact we can't assume major traits won't follow over, I wasn't prepared to accept the floor would change everything about these cars. These can all be found on the threads.

What we got annoyed with was the constant blaming of the car whilst Daniel could do no wrong when in reality he was some distance off Landos performance. He couldn't handle a tricky car, which is what the best drivers can.

He entered a tough proving ground and failed.

-Bandit

djos

There’s tricky, and there’s unpredictable. The McLaren’s fall into the latter, by Andreas own admission.

Even Lando would be faster with a predictable car. No driver will be able to consistently get the most out of a car when it isn’t predictable.
"In downforce we trust"

mwillems

djos wrote:
13 May 2023, 08:35
There’s tricky, and there’s unpredictable. The McLaren’s fall into the latter, by Andreas own admission.

Even Lando would be faster with a predictable car. No driver will be able to consistently get the most out of a car when it isn’t predictable.
There's one driver that could push it consistently and one that couldn't. The car was good enough to lead the midfield but DR wasn't.

Tricky, unpredictable, it doesn't matter the word. Lando showed it could be consistently tamed and driven.

-Bandit

djos

mwillems wrote:
13 May 2023, 09:26
djos wrote:

There's one driver that could push it consistently and one that couldn't. The car was good enough to lead the midfield but DR wasn't.

Tricky, unpredictable, it doesn't matter the word. Lando showed it could be consistently tamed and driven.
Yes we know that, but Lando was fortunate enough to have zero f1 car experience, as they say, ignorance is bliss. Seems that this is helping Oscar too.
"In downforce we trust"

mwillems

djos wrote:
13 May 2023, 09:31
mwillems wrote:
djos wrote:

Yes we know that, but Lando was fortunate enough to have zero f1 car experience, as they say, ignorance is bliss. Seems that this is helping Oscar too.
Yes this is possible, but either way, he couldn't drive a car that others can and it wasn't disputed that the car had flaws, which was your assertion.

-Bandit

MrGapes

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/stel ... /10468760/

Something I’ve been trying to convey in this forum for a while, there is a specific trait that has carried over for years now, this transition between entry and mid corner in the low speed… as Stella described “off brake, off throttle”
It’s something that has plagued the Mclaren even since 2018. Whilst they do have more Drag, I believe that’s because they are trying to compensate for this neutrality within this corner typology.

I don’t know why we are back to this Daniel discussion…. I will say that this though, the trait above was the only anomalous and weird behaviour I’ve seen from the car, but Daniel was also losing large chunks of time to Lando in the high speed, which doesn’t add up to the “weird car” narrative.

djos

mwillems wrote:
13 May 2023, 09:50
djos wrote:
mwillems wrote:

Yes this is possible, but either way, he couldn't drive a car that others can and it wasn't disputed that the car had flaws, which was your assertion.
No others just claimed DR just wasnt that good and was overrated and that just because Lando could drive it, the car was fine. Everytime I contended that the car was unpredictable and flawed, I was attacked for being a DR fan (which I am, but im also a realist).

I'm not saying you did this (our discussions are pretty fair IMO), but there were many others who levied personal attacks against me for daring to critique McLaren. eg I called the car "deeply flawed" last year and the rose-tinted glasses brigade piled on as a result. Not Even Lando's comments were enough last year to be taken seriously "because we got 1 podium", and now Andreas confirms the issue was real.

I'm a Lando fan too, but you wouldn't know from the comments folk levy at me.
"In downforce we trust"

mclaren111

djos wrote:
13 May 2023, 13:11
mwillems wrote:
13 May 2023, 09:50
djos wrote:

No others just claimed DR just wasnt that good and was overrated and that just because Lando could drive it, the car was fine. Everytime I contended that the car was unpredictable and flawed, I was attacked for being a DR fan (which I am, but im also a realist).

I'm not saying you did this (our discussions are pretty fair IMO), but there were many others who levied personal attacks against me for daring to critique McLaren. eg I called the car "deeply flawed" last year and the rose-tinted glasses brigade piled on as a result. Not Even Lando's comments were enough last year to be taken seriously "because we got 1 podium", and now Andreas confirms the issue was real.

I'm a Lando fan too, but you wouldn't know from the comments folk levy at me.

=D> =D>

Darth-Piekus

I'm reading various comments that link Honda to Aston Martin but shouldn't Mclaren target for a works team deal with Honda as third time's the charm? Are they gonna be able to get a championship as a customer team?

haza
haza

Who’s not to say Honda has both I mean let’s be honest it is the benchmark PU atm

Personally I always hoped McLaren would become a factory team and make there own engines I know this isn’t feasible atm with cost cuts etc but hybrid technology is nothing new to McLaren and McLaren applied and Ricardo has created some amazing hybrid PUs like the P1, I hope one day they try and make there own redbull have gone down that route with Honda and soon to be Ford as the surrogates

McG

haza wrote:
13 May 2023, 15:49
Who’s not to say Honda has both I mean let’s be honest it is the benchmark PU atm

Personally I always hoped McLaren would become a factory team and make there own engines I know this isn’t feasible atm with cost cuts etc but hybrid technology is nothing new to McLaren and McLaren applied and Ricardo has created some amazing hybrid PUs like the P1, I hope one day they try and make there own redbull have gone down that route with Honda and soon to be Ford as the surrogates
Honda is not the benchmark. The Red Bull chassis is the benchmark.
Finally, everyone knows that Red Bull is a joke and Max Verstappen is overrated.