2023 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
organic

Re: 2023 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

AR3-GP wrote:
13 May 2023, 04:22
One of the most anticipated developments of the season. Says its a "decent step", which makes me think in the range of 4-7 tenths of a second.
Toto has said recently in an interview that 5 tenths of a second would be too much to expect from one upgrade package.

Given everyone's at the weight limit this season, and that last year even with the weight improvements the largest aero upgrade packages were around 3 tenths, I'm expecting the imola upgrade to be worth between 2.5 and 4 tenths

Consequently I think amr and Merc will be quite clear of Ferrari for a bit and be a lot closer to RB.

DGP123
DGP123

AR3-GP wrote:
One of the most anticipated developments of the season.
A lot of people are going to be disappointed. 3 or 4 tenths, with rivals bringing upgrades too, won’t change the landscape for this season

ali623
ali623

AR3-GP wrote:
One of the most anticipated developments of the season. Says its a "decent step", which makes me think in the range of 4-7 tenths of a second.
As far as I'm aware, the main expectation of the upgrade is for them to transition into this new development direction and less about a massive sudden gain.

organic

Shovlin: In Bahrain we realized that the package would not make us fight for the world championship. What we will bring to the track in Imola is the first step (in terms of driveability). Hopefully it will be faster, it will be better in terms of qualifying and race pace. The key thing though is that we're not just trying to bring a lap time upgrade, we're trying to go in a different development direction. That we think gives us a better chance in the long run.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

There’s the caveat that this is still the Mercedes of the past. They tend to undersell their upgrades.
A lion must kill its prey.

PlatinumZealot

Expecting a zero-pod-ramp-undercut.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

organic

PlatinumZealot wrote:
13 May 2023, 18:50
It has already been demonstrated a mid-wing is not compatible with undercut.. another feature of the zeropod is the inlet running to the floor which prevents undercut. so the features that make it the 'zeropod' also preclude it from having undercut; yet you expect it to be zeropod with undercut.. how so?

Jdn1327
Jdn1327

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Would that even be possible with the height of the current side pod? It runs from the SIS all the way to the floor.

chrisc90

A long way back but when Merc first tried to fool everyone with the normal concept in Barcelona testing in 2022, with the sidepods....were there chassis changes between those sidepods and the zero pods?

organic

chrisc90 wrote:
13 May 2023, 20:52
A long way back but when Merc first tried to fool everyone with the normal concept in Barcelona testing in 2022, with the sidepods....were there chassis changes between those sidepods and the zero pods?
The internals were the same and it was just a different bodywork panel over the top

PlatinumZealot

organic wrote:
13 May 2023, 19:35
PlatinumZealot wrote:
It has already been demonstrated a mid-wing is not compatible with undercut.. another feature of the zeropod is the inlet running to the floor which prevents undercut. so the features that make it the 'zeropod' also preclude it from having undercut; yet you expect it to be zeropod with undercut.. how so?
Why are you inventing things now? Have you modelled this?

Undercut does not have to happen near the mid-wing. It can start afterward and sweep outward to scoop air sideways over the floor edges.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

chrisc90

PlatinumZealot wrote:
13 May 2023, 21:19
organic wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
The reg prohibit them using any other angle on the face of the zeropod/pod. Any sidepod would have the use the volume behind the area dedicated to the side pods.

Lets face it....is it really going to be effective if you keep the current setup as it is now with the straight down to the floor, then make a sidepod after it? I cant see it at all. You want the air to go into the inlet and then be channelled under and around the sidepod/engine cover towards the diffuser.

Then you have the problem that the sidepod as present is sooo far back compared to every other team a lot of your area where the beginning of the sidepod undercut start is already gone and is open air due to the beam wing and its associated profiling to make it legal.

Images courtesy of AlbertFabrega on Twitter.

Just look at how much of the udnercut Merc would lose out on if they tried to adapt a sidepod after their current setup. At a rough guess, the Merc sidepod/zeropod intake starts between the O and R on Oracle on the RB19

organic

PlatinumZealot wrote:
13 May 2023, 21:19
organic wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:

Undercut does not have to happen near the mid-wing. It can start afterward and sweep outward to scoop air sideways over the floor edges.
What? It's been discussed at length (not just on this forum) since the w13 pods were revealed that an undercut whilst keeping broadly the same sidepod philosophy would be in breach of the stringent rules in the sidepod regulatory volume..

The problem is the limit of y/x sections. With mid-wing and undercut (ie an inlet that doesn't run all the way to the floor) you end up with 3 y sections (whilst the limit is 2)

I am not inventing anything :shock: :lol:

Back to the topic at hand... My expectation is that they ditch the mid-wing altogether.

This seasons chassis seems to be designed with the mid-wing integrated into a removal panel such that they can remove/heavily modify this region. I don't see why they couldn't extend their sidepod forwards, put the inlet high and wide and have an aggressive, fairly blunt undercut with ramps emulating the 2nd half of last season's Williams. They won't be able to achieve an undercut to the extent of the rb19/Williams/McLaren etc due to their fuel tank location which probably won't change

PlatinumZealot

Not everyone is strong at spacial manipulation or 3D modelling. It is an ability that a few (of us)out of thousands possess.

You guys are struggling to see how an undercut would work with a zero pod within the rules no less, but I have the image in my mind already. Just a bit of creatifty is required to get the outwash effect near the floor that is needed. The side pod wing has nothing to do with getting this shape. The shape can be blended AFTER the side pod wing. And it will be there with the side pod wings in Imola.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

PlatinumZealot wrote:
14 May 2023, 00:32
Not everyone is strong at spacial manipulation or 3D modelling. It is an ability that a few (of us)out of thousands possess.

You guys are struggling to see how an undercut would work with a zero pod within the rules no less, but I have the image in my mind already. Just a bit of creatifty is required to get the outwash effect near the floor that is needed. The side pod wing has nothing to do with getting this shape. The shape can be blended AFTER the side pod wing. And it will be there with the side pod wings in Imola.
We've had this discussion with you already a month ago. You were told then that it's not possible. It's been explained above again that it's not possible.

viewtopic.php?p=1127882#p1127882
A lion must kill its prey.