2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
PikeStance

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

search wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 08:53
Mostlyeels wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 01:21
chrisgr wrote:
18 Jun 2023, 22:21

If we're being outsmarted by Ferrari strategy, then we have a problem :D :D
Also Lando's first pit stop was slow.
Haha I know. Ferrari and Williams took the risk, but they must've been pretty confident the numbers would stack up. Albon's pace was just enough to keep the train going, and my face when I saw the Ferrari strategy play out...
the strategy for Ferrari also mainly worked so well because they had a really quick car yesterday, and were able to get a big enough gap on the cars behind before finally pitting. I doubt this would have been the case for McLaren.
Prior to the yellow, Lando was increasing his lead on the Ferrari. Assuming the tires hold up, I see no reason why it wouldn't work.

Lando was driving aggressively. You do not do that unless you have a car with a good pace. The fact that he was doing much of his passing (attempts) in the corners, then I would expect the car was handling well in the corners.
<-Pike----
Expat American in Guangzhou
Native New Orleans

search

PikeStance wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 09:15
search wrote:
Mostlyeels wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 01:21

Haha I know. Ferrari and Williams took the risk, but they must've been pretty confident the numbers would stack up. Albon's pace was just enough to keep the train going, and my face when I saw the Ferrari strategy play out...
the strategy for Ferrari also mainly worked so well because they had a really quick car yesterday, and were able to get a big enough gap on the cars behind before finally pitting. I doubt this would have been the case for McLaren.
Prior to the yellow, Lando was increasing his lead on the Ferrari. Assuming the tires hold up, I see no reason why it wouldn't work.
Norris was 0.3s ahead of Leclerc when the Safety Car came out.

mclaren111

The Prodigy wrote:
18 Jun 2023, 21:47
Piastri again better then the British Wunderkind.

:lol: :lol:

eurwynf1
eurwynf1

Norris seemed to be riding the kerbs a lot more than others

mclaren111

MrGapes wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 00:04
I’m so glad to see Lando do some ballsy moves today.. he’s usually quite hesitant but he absolutely sent it today… sucks for the penalty

- Oddly the car was alright... I was quite pessimistic coming into this weekend.. so many factors on this track go against our car

Anyways starting next race we'll start to see a few changes.. I'm pretty excited...

Totally agree... The new Rear Wing & Beam Wings seemed to work well...

For all practical purposes our season starts in two weeks... Austria being a Stupid Sprint Race will make things more difficult so Silverstone should be where we see things improve if upgrades works as expected... [-o< [-o<

mwillems

Ground Effect wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 08:28
mwillems wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 08:23
Nah we also need the platform to be more stable in the corners. Either a wider operating window for the Aero or an upgraded suspension.

In one interview he says a few tenths for the upgrades, I another interview he says it will find a lot of time.

I never quite understand Stella 100%, here's hoping it's half a second!
I noticed that as well, makes me scratch my head a bit. Hopefully, they're seeing more and more potential in the sim and other tools they use.
I just think he is a little loose with his English. Like when he said between Austria and Silverstone for the upgrades and everyone thought he meant the upgrades would arrive at one or the other. But he did still mean that it would be split between them.

Then in one interview he talks about the time as if really there isn't much and it is a platform change for the future, and in another he talks about this upgrading bring a lot of time. Then it's a B-Spec, then not quite a B-spec and then a B-Spec again lol There's a lot of gray area in his mind!
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

mclaren111 wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 10:40
MrGapes wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 00:04
I’m so glad to see Lando do some ballsy moves today.. he’s usually quite hesitant but he absolutely sent it today… sucks for the penalty

- Oddly the car was alright... I was quite pessimistic coming into this weekend.. so many factors on this track go against our car

Anyways starting next race we'll start to see a few changes.. I'm pretty excited...

Totally agree... The new Rear Wing & Beam Wings seemed to work well...

For all practical purposes our season starts in two weeks... Austria being a Stupid Sprint Race will make things more difficult so Silverstone should be where we see things improve if upgrades works as expected... [-o< [-o<
Yes I was wondering if if this slight increase in performance came from a more efficient rear wing and beam wing design. We were able to overtake on the straight although it was a push, and we didn't get mugged. It wasn't a great result yesterday, but you can see some improvement, this was a lot better than we thought it would be.

-Bandit

michl420
michl420

eurwynf1 wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 10:35
Yes, in turn 3/4 he was always very "late" in the corner. Scary to watch. A Sainz moment always not far.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Mclaren should go well in Austria. No drag penalty there and they have the car in a window with decent downforce but too much drag.

mclaren111

AR3-GP wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 12:56
Mclaren should go well in Austria. No drag penalty there and they have the car in a window with decent downforce but too much drag.

Let's hope that whatever they bring to Austria helps with the drag problem... They will most problaby use the same new Rear Wing from Canada that helped... :D :D
Last edited by mclaren111 on 19 Jun 2023, 14:53, edited 1 time in total.

BMMR61

Pretty encouraging race pace to be fair and that both drivers were able to make passes in a race where they were rare, points to the ongoing turnaround in straightline speed and aero efficiency. Oscar seemed to click with this track throughout practice and qualifying and was, for the first time, on par with Lando, no mean feat, and his Q3 error was his first in f1. Stella’s comments hint they may have found something in sim so Austria may once again be a happy hunting ground.

mwillems

AR3-GP wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 12:56
Not much by way of slow speed corners and plenty of Kerb to ride too.

-Bandit

Mansell89
Mansell89

Didn’t quite get the points we wanted but I thought we looked pretty racy yesterday and we didn’t look as draggy as in earlier part of the season.

Aston also seemed to have a handy DRS so it suggests there is lap time to be found and progress to be had for those Mercedes customers- staring to see now that the PUs do seem very closely matched and that drag is the major factor behind RBR straight line speed.

Looking forward to seeing the updates and ideas as and when they arrive :)

PikeStance

search wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 09:30
PikeStance wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 09:15
search wrote:

Norris was 0.3s ahead of Leclerc when the Safety Car came out.
As I said, when he first made the pass they were quite close, the next time they were shown, there was more separation. The separation was shown in the straights, so.... I don't know. I only started watching F1 two months ago, but I have already watched half of 2021 season. So, maybe my observation skills aren't as fine-tuned. That being said, Norris had real pace and was absolutely attacking the corners.
<-Pike----
Expat American in Guangzhou
Native New Orleans

eurwynf1
eurwynf1

michl420 wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 12:06
eurwynf1 wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 10:35
Yes, in turn 3/4 he was always very "late" in the corner. Scary to watch. A Sainz moment always not far.
7/8 he was lot quicker than Ocon because he took so much kerb, there was a good angle showing the car from behind