2023 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Rikhart
Rikhart

Re: 2023 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

Sieper wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 11:10
Perez is perez. The qualy here was very difficult, easy to not be able to get the time in. It happened to Perez, Leclerc and Russell. Hamilton made it out of q2 by a few hundredths too. Can't be too hard on that. Then Perez started on the whites and had to do a long stint. High fuel on tires that didn't get up to temp (as Max also found) and then also the 2 Ferrari's way down the grid right in front of you that you cannot really overtake as they are top cars too (on yellows). It just all added up. Cant really say this was so super bad and they will know this at RBR too. Expect him up higher next race.
Do you think Verstappen would have had any issues in overtaking the Ferraris?

Sieper

Rikhart wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 11:31
Sieper wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 11:10
Perez is perez. The qualy here was very difficult, easy to not be able to get the time in. It happened to Perez, Leclerc and Russell. Hamilton made it out of q2 by a few hundredths too. Can't be too hard on that. Then Perez started on the whites and had to do a long stint. High fuel on tires that didn't get up to temp (as Max also found) and then also the 2 Ferrari's way down the grid right in front of you that you cannot really overtake as they are top cars too (on yellows). It just all added up. Cant really say this was so super bad and they will know this at RBR too. Expect him up higher next race.
Do you think Verstappen would have had any issues in overtaking the Ferraris?
Probably not, but it would have been hard on tires that have no grip and need to last. Max once got stuck in a DRS train in Monza too (had car trouble though).

kediown

organic wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 10:53
Max has just reached 80% pole to win conversion. Highest ever by a significant margin now

Certainly helped by Ferrari's one lap pace antics of the last 2 seasons and higher reliability compared to past eras. Still interesting though

On the topic of the rb19's upgrade schedule:

The biggest upgrade this season came at Baku where they changed the sidepods. However this was clearly a specification run at the Silverstone shakedown. Until Baku they were just running the rb18 sidepods until the parts were worn out. So really the sidepod "upgrade" was simply their launch spec that they delayed as the pace advantage overall was large enough to not rush it in.

There was a minor change to the floor edge wing in Barcelona, some diffuser geometry modifications and a front wing tweak at Canada. That's a sum total of very few updates compared to other teams. Ferrari have brought a new floor, sidepods, engine cover etc. as have AMR. Mercedes brought a large upgrade package already.

It's not a bold claim but I reckon RB will bring a substantial package (engine cover, floor) to Silverstone and that will be all for the RB19 apart from very minor tweaks such as to the floor edge wing.

If we consider the RB18: pre-season testing they used the shakedown spec rb18. Then they brought bahrain-spec package . Imola (floor), then Baku (new floor), Silverstone (modified floor, engine cover), France (new floor), Spa (engine cover) along with tons of weight drops. So the update frequency in 2023 and scope has been significantly lower than in 2022. This makes sense, considering the delta to other cars, but I wonder where this budget must be going. Either a very substantial package or the team is focusing a lot on next season from the beginning.
As we thought, that's why Silverstone HQ pics weren't released by Red Bull on content pool before :D

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

They are lucky that it didn’t enter the brake duct, as it would have required an unscheduled pit stop. This is why Checo has to get back in the game. When silly things happen to Max, he must be there to make sure RB win.

You can also hear GP telling Max that the tires were running substantially cooler than Friday….which is why Max was complaining all race about the tire grip, and likely why Checo couldn’t make any progress either.
A lion must kill its prey.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

I’m expecting another tough weekend in Austria for Perez. The circuit doesn’t suit him. He was decent in the Silverstone race last year.

rbirules
rbirules

AR3-GP wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 15:01
I’m expecting another tough weekend in Austria for Perez. The circuit doesn’t suit him. He was decent in the Silverstone race last year.
Why do you think the circuit doesn't suit him? Sure it's not a road coarse where he is especially effective, but it's still a rear limited track which seems to be a track characteristic that plays to Checo's strengths (looking after his rear tires).

He started 4th or 5th last year IIRC, and put himself in a position to be pushed off at turn four by Russell, ruining his race in the process. In 2021 he finished 4th and 6th at the two races at this track, with the latter being the race where he was pushed off at turn four while trying to pass Lando for 2nd place (and then did the same to Leclerc later in the race, and again at a later turn).

I'm not saying I expect him to challenge Max or anything, but I think Checo should be just fine in Austria, probably the track I expect him to perform the best at until maybe Singapore.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

rbirules wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 15:55
AR3-GP wrote:
Why do you think the circuit doesn't suit him? Sure it's not a road coarse where he is especially effective, but it's still a rear limited track which seems to be a track characteristic that plays to Checo's strengths (looking after his rear tires).

He started 4th or 5th last year IIRC, and put himself in a position to be pushed off at turn four by Russell, ruining his race in the process. In 2021 he finished 4th and 6th at the two races at this track, with the latter being the race where he was pushed off at turn four while trying to pass Lando for 2nd place (and then did the same to Leclerc later in the race, and again at a later turn).

I'm not saying I expect him to challenge Max or anything, but I think Checo should be just fine in Austria, probably the track I expect him to perform the best at until maybe Singapore.
For one reason or another, Checo always has a messy race in Austria. In 2020 he had late race drama there too.

rbirules
rbirules

AR3-GP wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 15:57
rbirules wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 15:55
AR3-GP wrote:

For one reason or another, Checo always has a messy race in Austria. In 2020 he had late race drama there too.
He for sure has had more than his share of issues avoiding incidents (especially at turn four), but I think the track itself suits him better than most non-road circuits.

basti313
basti313

AR3-GP wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 14:50
They are lucky that it didn’t enter the brake duct, as it would have required an unscheduled pit stop. This is why Checo has to get back in the game. When silly things happen to Max, he must be there to make sure RB win.

You can also hear GP telling Max that the tires were running substantially cooler than Friday….which is why Max was complaining all race about the tire grip, and likely why Checo couldn’t make any progress either.
This is still puzzling me. According to PACETEQ Ver had an average tire wear of 0.016 per lap and Per of 0.043. I would understand the discrepancy if Per would have been in traffic all the time, but he was literally driving alone for 2/3 of the race. It also speaks against the Q performance where Per did not get the tires working. Others like Hulk or Norris who had very high tire wear were good on Saturday.

Same picture by the way for Alo and Stroll.What was wrong with their cars/driving?
Don`t russel the hamster!

napoleon1981
napoleon1981

basti313 wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 16:41
AR3-GP wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 14:50

This is still puzzling me. According to PACETEQ Ver had an average tire wear of 0.016 per lap and Per of 0.043. I would understand the discrepancy if Per would have been in traffic all the time, but he was literally driving alone for 2/3 of the race. It also speaks against the Q performance where Per did not get the tires working. Others like Hulk or Norris who had very high tire wear were good on Saturday.

Same picture by the way for Alo and Stroll.What was wrong with their cars/driving?
Perez somehow ended up being coined the tire whisperer. From what i have seen in like for like situations with Verstappen, he is not.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

It's frustrating not to see RB going full tilt with the aero package due to the sliding scale, nevermind the WT penalty... I'd like to see the aero team unleashed, purely from a curiosity perspective.

Vanja #66

So for some reason, Max was clipping his top speed at the start of the race again this year. Perez does not do that. Moreover, Max also did it last year - and the top speed difference in final laps is up to 10kmh. Haven't seen any other driver doing that, any ideas what's going on?

This happened in Bahrain too this year, but there was some issue then, or at least that was an explanation.

And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Vanja #66 wrote:
20 Jun 2023, 13:35
So for some reason, Max was clipping his top speed at the start of the race again this year. Perez does not do that. Moreover, Max also did it last year - and the top speed difference in final laps is up to 10kmh. Haven't seen any other driver doing that, any ideas what's going on?

This happened in Bahrain too this year, but there was some issue then, or at least that was an explanation.

https://i.ibb.co/NVb14QS/22-23-canada-ver.jpg
I checked F1tv. At the beginning, Max is told to go to Mode 6, display 8. Perez is only told, Display 8. So I don't think it was a car problem. I think they were simply instructed to use different modes.

Vanja #66

AR3-GP wrote:
20 Jun 2023, 14:27
I checked F1tv. At the beginning, Max is told to go to Mode 6, display 8. Perez is only told, Display 8. So I don't think it was a car problem. I think they were simply instructed to use different modes.
Yes, but whyyyyy??? :mrgreen: I gotz to know!!! Engine saving? Tyre saving? Extra energy storage for Max that needs to be filled at the start to be used later if needed? :mrgreen:
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Big Tea

AR3-GP wrote:
20 Jun 2023, 03:06
It's frustrating not to see RB going full tilt with the aero package due to the sliding scale, nevermind the WT penalty... I'd like to see the aero team unleashed, purely from a curiosity perspective.
No point going any quicker than just quicker than anyone else as it will have to come out of the cost and resource cap.
Which would be that much less for next year, when they may need it.
Hopefully Merc and Ferrari will not drop the ball for another year and we can have good racing, which will be all the better if if all three, or four with AM, are all on top of the game.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.