2023 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SiLo

Re: 2023 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

Vanja #66 wrote:
20 Jun 2023, 13:35
So for some reason, Max was clipping his top speed at the start of the race again this year. Perez does not do that. Moreover, Max also did it last year - and the top speed difference in final laps is up to 10kmh. Haven't seen any other driver doing that, any ideas what's going on?

This happened in Bahrain too this year, but there was some issue then, or at least that was an explanation.

https://i.ibb.co/NVb14QS/22-23-canada-ver.jpg
Is it possible this is the result of Perez being in a long train of cars, so his top speed is likely to be significantly affected vs Verstappen in clear air?

Then his fastest lap attempts likely were in a higher engine mode.
Felipe Baby!

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Big Tea wrote:
20 Jun 2023, 15:14
AR3-GP wrote:
20 Jun 2023, 03:06
It's frustrating not to see RB going full tilt with the aero package due to the sliding scale, nevermind the WT penalty... I'd like to see the aero team unleashed, purely from a curiosity perspective.
No point going any quicker than just quicker than anyone else as it will have to come out of the cost and resource cap.
Which would be that much less for next year, when they may need it.
Hopefully Merc and Ferrari will not drop the ball for another year and we can have good racing, which will be all the better if if all three, or four with AM, are all on top of the game.
I understand the point of laptime, but I'm more curious purely from the perspective of seeing aggressive new ideas. What other ideas do they have, that they can't explore because of the restrictions. For example, the Merc zero pod is quite a fascinating idea, but needed too much resources to develop it. Others were able to beat Merc by putting ideas on the ground with a more efficient resource to benefit ratio. Teams are having to juggle making conservative steps forwards with minimal resources, with more costly and time intensive b-spec ideas. I want to see RB's other ideas. I fear we never will. They can't afford it.
A lion must kill its prey.

Big Tea

AR3-GP wrote:
20 Jun 2023, 15:52
Big Tea wrote:
20 Jun 2023, 15:14
AR3-GP wrote:
20 Jun 2023, 03:06
It's frustrating not to see RB going full tilt with the aero package due to the sliding scale, nevermind the WT penalty... I'd like to see the aero team unleashed, purely from a curiosity perspective.
No point going any quicker than just quicker than anyone else as it will have to come out of the cost and resource cap.
Which would be that much less for next year, when they may need it.
Hopefully Merc and Ferrari will not drop the ball for another year and we can have good racing, which will be all the better if if all three, or four with AM, are all on top of the game.
I understand the point of laptime, but I'm more curious purely from the perspective of seeing aggressive new ideas. What other ideas do they have, that they can't explore because of the restrictions. For example, the Merc zero pod is quite a fascinating idea, but needed too much resources to develop it. Others were able to beat Merc by putting ideas on the ground with a more efficient resource to benefit ratio. Teams are having to juggle making conservative steps forwards with minimal resources, with more costly and time intensive b-spec ideas. I want to see RB's other ideas. I fear we never will. They can't afford it.
Yeh, same here.

Although, had Merc brought out the zeropod to test at the end of the season and it worked, everyone else would have the off season to develop it on their own car, so maybe there is a reason they do not show the hand too early.
They may also find something else before they go to production, and anything spent on the side-lined model would be wasted to them. A balancing act that always looks easier in hindsight I suppose
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Wouter

Oracle Red Bull Racing

This is Talking Bull Episode 3!
In this episode: Nicola Hume speaks to three women from very different parts of the Team on The Official Oracle Red Bull Racing Podcast, brought to you by HP Poly – delivering exclusive unrivalled access to the Team.

On this month's episode, we speak to
Principal Strategy Engineer, Hannah Schmitz, Aerodynamics Engineer, Ana Groom and Simulator Terrain Modeller, Rosanne Elvin.
They share what each of their roles entail and how they first managed to get a job on the Team.

Also, they each bring an item to enter in our 'Oracle Red Bull Racing in 100 Objects' hall of fame, they answer a stack of your fan questions, plus we have a little game at the end to put them through their paces.
The Power of Dreams!

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

SiLo wrote:
20 Jun 2023, 15:27
Vanja #66 wrote:
20 Jun 2023, 13:35
So for some reason, Max was clipping his top speed at the start of the race again this year. Perez does not do that. Moreover, Max also did it last year - and the top speed difference in final laps is up to 10kmh. Haven't seen any other driver doing that, any ideas what's going on?

This happened in Bahrain too this year, but there was some issue then, or at least that was an explanation.

https://i.ibb.co/NVb14QS/22-23-canada-ver.jpg
Is it possible this is the result of Perez being in a long train of cars, so his top speed is likely to be significantly affected vs Verstappen in clear air?

There’s a small slip stream affect but it doesn’t account for the discrepancy. You can compare Sergio on lap 2, to Sergio on some laps after the SC when he lost a few seconds to the Ferraris and the difference isn’t as big as comparing Max in the early laps to late in the race.

Vanja #66

SiLo wrote:
20 Jun 2023, 15:27

No, not really. Lower top speeds for Max happened at the start of almost every race this season, regardless of his grid position. Contrary, Perez (like all other top-end competitors) starts and ends with almost the same top speed on every straight, 2-3km/h difference at most. It is definitely due to a different PU mode between the two RB cars, but the reason behind this is not yet known.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

chrisc90

Possibly a trade off between higher top speed and recharging the batteries more to use in different areas of the lap in order to gain a big enough gap to avoid the DRS?

Vanja #66

chrisc90 wrote:
20 Jun 2023, 22:02
Possibly a trade off between higher top speed and recharging the batteries more to use in different areas of the lap in order to gain a big enough gap to avoid the DRS?
That was my first thought, but acceleration looks slightly worse as well, not just top speed -> https://i.ibb.co/NVb14QS/22-23-canada-ver.jpg

This time, he had Hamilton behind, who was not so quick on straights again (only 2-3kmh faster at the start of the race and 5+ kmh slower at the end) so there was no immediate threat. But still, acceleration of both cars looked the same.

#BlessYouLaddie

Juzh

Vanja #66 wrote:
20 Jun 2023, 22:17
chrisc90 wrote:
20 Jun 2023, 22:02
That was my first thought, but acceleration looks slightly worse as well, not just top speed -> https://i.ibb.co/NVb14QS/22-23-canada-ver.jpg

This time, he had Hamilton behind, who was not so quick on straights again (only 2-3kmh faster at the start of the race and 5+ kmh slower at the end) so there was no immediate threat. But still, acceleration of both cars looked the same.
This whole thing is just weird.
Look at time delta Ver vs Ham lap 20 and 61. on lap 20 Ver is almost old-renault-like slow on straights, then on lap 61 he's back to expected performance

lap 20

lap 61 (ver in white)

ME4ME

Since they can't do much with the ICE, surely this is an ERS setting and deployment strategy.
It would make sense that in some stages of the race, as the leader with a multiple second buffer Verstappen would prefer to reduce end of straight deployment and a tiny bit of lap time just to keep his battery soc a bit higher just to have energy in reserve if anything where to happen, like a SC or whatever. Suboptimal for lap-time but that may not be a problem.

Alternatively, maybe they're trying to reduce thermal stress momentarily on the MGU-K, inverters and battery. Instead of going straight from motoring-mode to generating-mode end of straight, they'll idle the ERS. This might make sense either for reliability, reducing degradation, or it could be a performance strategy if thermal output is reduced and they can close off an additional cooling louvre, which Verstappen than has to manage throughout the race. Bit like picking a size on the brake ducts. It would benefit aero efficiency.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

ME4ME wrote:
21 Jun 2023, 07:52
Since they can't do much with the ICE, surely this is an ERS setting and deployment strategy.
It would make sense that in some stages of the race, as the leader with a multiple second buffer Verstappen would prefer to reduce end of straight deployment and a tiny bit of lap time just to keep his battery soc a bit higher just to have energy in reserve if anything where to happen, like a SC or whatever. Suboptimal for lap-time but that may not be a problem.
But it's happening in reverse. Slower at the start of the race than at the end.

Vanja #66

Juzh wrote:
20 Jun 2023, 23:59
Look at time delta Ver vs Ham lap 20 and 61. on lap 20 Ver is almost old-renault-like slow on straights, then on lap 61 he's back to expected performance

lap 20
https://i.imgur.com/VTEJung.png

lap 61 (ver in white)
https://i.imgur.com/AyQhfiT.png
Yes, very weird. I don't think F1 would allow to have incorrect data on one single car - the double reigning champion's - so I trust this limited telemetry is correct. In my view there are only two possibilities:

- either the team chooses to preserve the whole powertrain with these settings, which also extends tyre life due to lower acceleration, possibly even allows them to carry slightly less fuel at the start (hey, even 5kg less fuel would be worth it)

- or they are doing something extraordinary with energy storage on Max' car, however this would be hard for FIA and other teams to miss

#BlessYouLaddie

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Vanja #66 wrote:
21 Jun 2023, 19:25
Juzh wrote:
20 Jun 2023, 23:59

lap 20
https://i.imgur.com/VTEJung.png

lap 61 (ver in white)
https://i.imgur.com/AyQhfiT.png
Yes, very weird. I don't think F1 would allow to have incorrect data on one single car - the double reigning champion's - so I trust this limited telemetry is correct. In my view there are only two possibilities:

- either the team chooses to preserve the whole powertrain with these settings, which also extends tyre life due to lower acceleration, possibly even allows them to carry slightly less fuel at the start (hey, even 5kg less fuel would be worth it)

- or they are doing something extraordinary with energy storage on Max' car, however this would be hard for FIA and other teams to miss
Maybe it's just fuel saving?

vorticism

Drivers are constantly adjusting their control inputs based on lap conditions and locations of other cars. Not sure what's surprising about variation in telemetry lap to lap.

They did run with no louvers in Canada, including Perez. Yes, it was cold. Yet other teams were still running louvers. What does this say about the Honda PU?
𓄀

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

The victory was also Red Bull's 100th in F1, a milestone that team advisor Marko relished celebrating. "When something like that happens, you don't run away straight away," Marko told Austrian outlet OE24.

"Then you show up in Red Bull clothes as well. But I changed immediately and then slept wonderfully on the plane.

"100 victories are a wonderful sleeping pill."
https://racingnews365.com/marko-explain ... n-same-car

A sleeping pill? Marko is getting old :lol: