2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

mwillems wrote:
01 Jul 2023, 06:57
SmallSoldier wrote:
01 Jul 2023, 01:22
Let’s take this weekend with a grain of salt and not build too high expectations… This is a circuit that McLaren was expecting to have good performance regardless of the new package… The half a second between Piastri and Norris isn’t far off from other qualifying sessions and even though the upgrades may have had an effect, based on everything we’ve seeing so far this season a big part of the Delta is driver related.

On the other hand, the Team worked hard to get this package to the track and it’s following design cues that clearly work and there is nothing wrong with that, I’m actually happy that ego’s are not getting in the way and they have enough humility to copy what is proven to generate performance… Hopefully a bit of McLaren’s DNA has been mixed in and they can extract a bit more
I was thinking yesterday about throwing some cautionary tales in around seeing the platform at other tracks, this is just one qualy section and the fact that this track was always going to suit the car... but you've been that guy so thanks 🤣

But even though I agree in sentiment it is worth pointing out that half a second is generally bigger than the Delta between the Mclaren drivers, especially recently, and that at such a fast track with low lap times as Austria half a second is bigger than it sounds.

So it does seem with one small amount of evidence that the car could be a lot faster. But personally I think we need the "pinch test" to make sure that this wasn't circumstantial because its also possible that everything came together to make it look this way.

If the gap is consistently big after this weekend then the package works here, then we see about Silverstone etc

But I have to say it does look good for us right now and maybe, juuuuuust maybe, Mika wasn't smoking crack....
I would love for Mika to be spot on and that great things are coming for the Team… It’s just painful when we build expectations and then we have to go through several weeks of moaning, complaining and trolling… Which sometimes makes this space unbearable… I was told by someone at the team, that they expect good things, but that they are waiting for the whole package to be completed and still waiting to see if they can get the performance on track that they expect (it was that vague, lol).

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
01 Jul 2023, 16:28
mwillems wrote:
01 Jul 2023, 06:57
SmallSoldier wrote:
01 Jul 2023, 01:22
Let’s take this weekend with a grain of salt and not build too high expectations… This is a circuit that McLaren was expecting to have good performance regardless of the new package… The half a second between Piastri and Norris isn’t far off from other qualifying sessions and even though the upgrades may have had an effect, based on everything we’ve seeing so far this season a big part of the Delta is driver related.

On the other hand, the Team worked hard to get this package to the track and it’s following design cues that clearly work and there is nothing wrong with that, I’m actually happy that ego’s are not getting in the way and they have enough humility to copy what is proven to generate performance… Hopefully a bit of McLaren’s DNA has been mixed in and they can extract a bit more
I was thinking yesterday about throwing some cautionary tales in around seeing the platform at other tracks, this is just one qualy section and the fact that this track was always going to suit the car... but you've been that guy so thanks 🤣

But even though I agree in sentiment it is worth pointing out that half a second is generally bigger than the Delta between the Mclaren drivers, especially recently, and that at such a fast track with low lap times as Austria half a second is bigger than it sounds.

So it does seem with one small amount of evidence that the car could be a lot faster. But personally I think we need the "pinch test" to make sure that this wasn't circumstantial because its also possible that everything came together to make it look this way.

If the gap is consistently big after this weekend then the package works here, then we see about Silverstone etc

But I have to say it does look good for us right now and maybe, juuuuuust maybe, Mika wasn't smoking crack....
I would love for Mika to be spot on and that great things are coming for the Team… It’s just painful when we build expectations and then we have to go through several weeks of moaning, complaining and trolling… Which sometimes makes this space unbearable… I was told by someone at the team, that they expect good things, but that they are waiting for the whole package to be completed and still waiting to see if they can get the performance on track that they expect (it was that vague, lol).
Yeah totally agree, we absolutely need to temper expectations. That said, I am excited myself but holding it in for now :D
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Darth-Piekus

Seriously with that Crashstappen and his dive bombs. He destroyed our Sprint and Norris has started well.

Szabi1112
Szabi1112

I cant believe it. Why do we have so many bad luck?

Darth-Piekus

It wasn't bad luck this time. It was Verstappen and his usual you let me pass or you crash dive bombs. Norris paid the price to avoid that egotistical driver. This is becoming ridiculous with him. He has to learn that he is not alone racing. It pisses me off when someone does that.

Verstappen dive bombed into Perez, covered Perez but left them both open from Norris and when Norris was having the faster exit from both he comes straight to Norris and Norris had to avoid a collision.
Last edited by Darth-Piekus on 01 Jul 2023, 16:46, edited 2 times in total.

Szabi1112
Szabi1112

Sh*t. We really would have had
the chance to get a podium :(

Darth-Piekus

Szabi1112 wrote:
01 Jul 2023, 16:44
Sh*t. We really would have had
the chance to get a podium :(
I'm dissapointed cause Norris had turned normally and he had the chance to pass both Red Bulls but as always Verstappen does his Verstappen style of defending.

proteus

This season is like cursed.... They just cant catch a break....
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

Darth-Piekus

Not having DRS is damaging our chances of doing passes cause we seem to have the top speed to do passes. And now the idiotic FIA is enabling DRS.

billamend
billamend

Fascinating lines from Norris.

mwillems

We can still snatch 6th, not bad really, not 3rd but not bad. Exciting racing and great to see the Mclaren mixing it.

-Bandit

mwillems

billamend wrote:
01 Jul 2023, 16:56
Fascinating lines from Norris.
Every time he goes so wide at turn one and I can't understand how it keeps the time, Leclerc would close and Lando would get away.

He's kept his tyres cool I hope by looking for that wet line instead of looking for the outright fastest line.

-Bandit

mwillems

Piastri is loving the dry.

-Bandit

Darth-Piekus

Can we manage to finish in 7th? Hulkenberg is closing fast.