2023 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: 2023 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

Also, tactically speaking, I'm unsure why Checo attempted to go around the outside in T4. In 2021 and 2022 he learned painfully that this move is not a good one.
A lion must kill its prey.

Oleo
Oleo

AR3-GP wrote:
01 Jul 2023, 23:30
Zynerji wrote:
01 Jul 2023, 23:00
I mean, Max chopped to block Checo very hard at the start. He kinda instigated the entire thing IMHO.
Drivers coming across from pole is nothing unusual at all. Space was given. Perez didn't hit the wall.

Sainz did the same last year on the red flag restart in Silverstone:

Perez did the same thing in Baku '21:

There are countless others who move like this on the race start. Isn't it called the "Schumacher chop"? It's nothing unusual or new to the sport. It's textbook "don't give the inside guy a radius" so he has to slow down more.

Verstappen does it pretty much every start and it has been accepted for a long time.
There is a difference though between giving the other guy a more difficult first corner and deliberately crowding another driver off the track. Since the white lines define the edge of the track per the event notes, this occasion is more a case of the latter than the former.

Gillian
Gillian

Zynerji wrote:
01 Jul 2023, 23:03
organic wrote:
01 Jul 2023, 23:02
Zynerji wrote:
01 Jul 2023, 23:00
I mean, Max chopped to block Checo very hard at the start. He kinda instigated the entire thing IMHO.
Defending at the start like everyone does is different to pushing teammate onto wet grass on a straight with entire pack behind. Not laying down the red carpet Vs a dangerous manoeuvre.
I think Checos message about "Whats wrong with Max" came from how close that chop put him to the wall first.😒
Check the onboard and you'll see that it's Perez who decides to dive into a gap that doesn't exists, e.g. Verstappen is already very close to the wall before Perez decides to pull along side.

Vanja #66

Well, I think I understand why Max was lifting on straights in previous races, that was a nice half-a-second sandbag that keeps FIA from looking too much. A leaf from Mercedes' book :mrgreen: Massive job by the whole team, they are superb.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

vorticism

𓄀

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

That was a decent drive at long last from Perez although I would have imagined that after passing so many cars, he would have realized it was wise to hold back before the DRS line in T3, as Max did.

Regarding Max. Untouchable, wet or dry. Scary.

Willy
Willy

Great job by Red Bull and Verstappen. The car was probably in it's sweetest spot as it was miles ahead of others, although Ferrari appeared to have had it's best day of late. Just being in the sweet spot takes the car to a different level. It worked across all compounds while others were in and out in different compounds.

organic

https://www.racefans.net/2023/07/02/ver ... ng-closer/
When it was put to him that today’s race showed Red Bull’s nearest rivals had not closed the gap to them, Verstappen said: “Exactly. But I loved all the articles about it.”
Guess max chose violence today with the FL point and this..

organic

Well we have some upgrades to look forward to at last. Will be looking at photos on Thursday & Friday. Expecting a completely new floor - it hasn't been upgraded this season yet apart from the floor edge wing at Baku as far as I can tell.

The diffuser wall changed at Spain, and the sidepod inlet (upper sidepod) was changed to the letterbox specification (which imo was designed to be the launch spec)

lio007

organic wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 23:22
Well we have some upgrades to look forward to at last. Will be looking at photos on Thursday & Friday. Expecting a completely new floor - it hasn't been upgraded this season yet apart from the floor edge wing at Baku as far as I can tell.

The diffuser wall changed at Spain, and the sidepod inlet (upper sidepod) was changed to the letterbox specification (which imo was designed to be the launch spec)
Marko said there are no upgrades next week (Post-Race interview with ORF)

organic

lio007 wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 23:46
organic wrote:

:mrgreen: well ---. Do you have a link or a title that I can find the interview with?

Perhaps they'll delay the next floor spec to a later date, or simply not bother at all. Each upgrade they forego is more development budget for the next year's car. They can get through all of the old specification parts' usage life and then when they actually need another floor they can finally introduce the new spec. It's a luxury afforded by dominant performance
Last edited by organic on 02 Jul 2023, 23:50, edited 1 time in total.

chrisc90

Has anyone gone a full season without doing any major upgrades?

lio007

organic wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 23:48
lio007 wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 23:46
organic wrote:

:mrgreen: well ---. Do you have a link or a title that I can find the interview with?

Perhaps they'll delay the next floor spec to a later date, or simply not bother at all. Each upgrade they forego is more development budget for the next year's car. They can get through all of the old specification parts' usage life and then when they actually need another floor they can finally introduce the new spec. It's a luxury afforded by dominant performance
TBH I was quite surprised of him by saying that.
I'll try to post some "evidence" tomorrow, it's already quite late now. :)

Sieper

chrisc90 wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 23:49
I would say the sidepod inlet and undercut reshaping was a major upgrade.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Sieper wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 00:32
chrisc90 wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 23:49
I would say the sidepod inlet and undercut reshaping was a major upgrade.
Depending on who you ask, sidepods do not matter :wink: