2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
vorticism

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

An improvement but that's not saying much. Need to gardening leave their "livery" crew. McLaren people, DM me, I'll make something that looks better at 1/100th the cost. I mean if all you had was say Microsoft Powerpoint to produce the graphics, I would say, "not bad."

West black/silver was classic. Vodafone chrome/red-orange was maybe the greatest livery of all time. 80s white/red is definitive F1 car.

They keep wanting to throw back to orange but no one has any connection to that. All the evocative McLaren memories are from those three color schemes mentioned. Basic stuff, what are you guys doing, honestly.
𓄀

mwillems

vorticism wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 22:38
An improvement but that's not saying much. Need to gardening leave their "livery" crew. McLaren people, DM me, I'll make something that looks better at 1/100th the cost. I mean if all you had was say Microsoft Powerpoint to produce the graphics, I would say, "not bad."

West black/silver was classic. Vodafone chrome/red-orange was maybe the greatest livery of all time. 80s white/red is definitive F1 car.

They keep wanting to throw back to orange but no one has any connection to that. All the evocative McLaren memories are from those three color schemes mentioned. Basic stuff, what are you guys doing, honestly.
I agree. I'll go one step further and suggest the only reason they did it was to break with the Ron Dennis era. Well they did, and it looks pants.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Xero

I'm a bit surprised by the negative reactions, I think it looks decent here!

Was never going to be a 1 to 1 recreation of the old livery, it's just too much weight. Just a sad fact of the current weight limits in F1 right now. Would like to see a minimum paint coating weight introduced so cars don't need to skimp out.

Slahinki
Slahinki

Xero wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 23:18

I'm a bit surprised by the negative reactions, I think it looks decent here!

Was never going to be a 1 to 1 recreation of the old livery, it's just too much weight. Just a sad fact of the current weight limits in F1 right now. Would like to see a minimum paint coating weight introduced so cars don't need to skimp out.
Definitely looks better than the ordinary one IMO.

vorticism

mwillems wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 23:05
I agree. I'll go one step further and suggest the only reason they did it was to break with the Ron Dennis era. Well they did, and it looks pants.
When I see orange I think Arrows and Spyker.
𓄀

PlatinumZealot

LionsHeart wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 17:28
=D> =D>

We had a thread a few years ago where these were designed!! The teams really do follow f1 technical!!

Anyone can find that thread?!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

PlatinumZealot

haza wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 21:21
Nothing wrong with the papaya it’s this seasons livery itself too much black horrible blue lines I personally liked the 2020-21 livery’s simple good to look at an distinctive
Different strkes for different folks they say. For me the Papaya just seemed "soft" and lacking aggression. Chrome ane rocket red just gad this space age ane menacing look at the same time. The chrome and black in 2014 was okaay but sort of lacking the pizzaz from the red.

The honda liveries i thought were pretty cool as well very menacing, but didn't have the space tech look to it.

Hmm. This new chrome patches are just.. Okay.. Neither here nor there... Maybe a slight improvement over the orange.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

PikeStance

It isn't that bad. It needed a black trim between the chrome and the papaya around the canopy section. It looks strange going from papaya to home with black trim.

All of these liveries, I supposed McLaren is fully committed to being the "avant-garde of F1."
<-Pike----
Expat American in Guangzhou
Native New Orleans

Ben1980
Ben1980

The livery looks alright. Obviously limitations in doing it, which I think we're mentioned.

But, I like the usual livery, in a sea of blandness, the Papaya does stand out.

djos

It looks ok to me too, although I’m glad it’s just a one off as the regular livery looks much better IMO.
"In downforce we trust"

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

They could have ditched more of the papaya or painted some of the carbon fiber areas. I know the weight is a concern but this is a one of special livery, they could have compromised a bit.

Still it looks good even though from some angles you struggle to see any chrome.

Mansell89
Mansell89

Looks awesome from certain angles- just wish we didn’t have to run the unpainted carbon for the weight saving- if that was chrome I think the orange rear wing and sidepod pop would be much more palatable.

I think this kind of chrome with papaya strikes might have a future, given it combines that recent history winning silver scheme but has the nod to Bruce with the orange.

The full Papaya scheme does seem to have been losing its popularity and the fact the team are willing to do 3 races with special liveries suggests they have an awareness of that.

mwillems

I think just less papaya, it's hard to clash with Chrome but the Papaya is such a Dominant colour it needs to have less in general, or let it dominate and have a little chrome, but this mix just doesn't look right. That said, it is better from the side, it is the front that I really don't like. If the papaya was dropped from the frontal area of the cockpit in favour of Chrome it would work for me I think.

Papaya is such a Marmite colour, you love it or hate it but also I think it is harder to make work than other colour schemes as it is so strong, it takes more care to get a balance. In this era of weight saving it is very hard to do it appears.

I've slept on it and sadly this still disappoints me. A quick look at twitter and the overwhelming Majority seems to say the same thing, opportunity lost. Do it properly or don't do it, this could have been something that almost everyone loved.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

BMMR61

A fast car is a beautiful car - can’t remember who said that, but the gist is, if you’re winning you love it. Well we’re not winning (yet!) but I still love it. I didn’t think the Gulf livery was well executed but generally okay and I rather like the “triple crown” liveries. Chrome is growing on me but I would like just a bit more papaya. Ferrari is red, McLaren is orange, Merc should be silver, Aston adopted a likeness of it’s original colour, RedBull is dressed up as a sugar drink, Alpine need to grow up and revert to their proper name and yellow, Williams I don’t know about, the rest I don’t care. Heritage is second only to performance, that’s why people want to visit F1 teams’ heritage centres. Some of our younger fans need to study up on racing history. Even the fifties before I was interested is incredible history. Anyway it’s really subjective isn’t it? I’m saddened by the people here who discredit papaya - papaya is McLaren and McLaren was named people’s favourite in a massive international poll a couple of years ago.

mclaren111

vorticism wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 22:38

I love the Papaya... But the livery looks like Sh*t... Hate the Blue as well...

Due to weight they should make it Papaya & Black Only... Just x100 better designed...