2023 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Willy
Willy

Re: 2023 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

Without SC, he would have probably be further behind. Perez is an embarrassment. If McLaren pace continues, then Perez should forget podiums.

TNTHead

Actually Perez gained a few points on ALO so extending his lead in P2.

organic

Max confirmed to Viaplay that RB will bring updates to Hungary. Most likely the upgrades that were initially planned for Silverstone

At last perhaps a second floor specification?

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

I suspect that they have been thrown a curveball with the new tires. Max's car has been so oversteery in the low speed this weekend.
A lion must kill its prey.

chrisc90

Didn’t Max say they struggled to get the softs warm? I’m sure he said it to GP in post race radio that the softs he really didn’t like.
Certainly interesting though. Thankfully there’s still good pace in the car and without the SC would have been pushing close to 20s lead again.

organic

chrisc90 wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 19:10
Didn’t Max say they struggled to get the softs warm? I’m sure he said it to GP in post race radio that the softs he really didn’t like.
Certainly interesting though. Thankfully there’s still good pace in the car and without the SC would have been pushing close to 20s lead again.
It was the softs running too hot at the end of the stint. It was sort of predictable . Max put two seconds into Norris before he got the hards up to temperature but after that only 1.5s further. The hards were probably the better tyre for the final stint in terms of laptime.. but of course you are vulnerable from warmup issues so not ideal

Wouter

Silverstone 2023.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The Power of Dreams!

chrisc90

I think with the challenge for P2 alternating between 3/4 different teams, its only going to make it 'easier' for Max to take that crown by himself where he single handily wins both titles himself.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

chrisc90 wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 20:37
I think with the challenge for P2 alternating between 3/4 different teams, its only going to make it 'easier' for Max to take that crown by himself where he single handily wins both titles himself.
Indeed. If RB were gamblers, they wouldn't bring another upgrade to this car. Max doesn't need to win any more races from this point on yet you know he'll still take a handful with the current spec car. He just needs podiums from here and he could take podiums at a canter when his car was actually worse in prior seasons.

chrisc90

Seriously hope he wins each race to be fair. Would be a truly magnificent achievement and would go down in the history books and very unlikely a record that would ever be broken. (RB win all races).

If the confirmation that Max is correct about the upcoming upgrades, whatever they are, im sure there wont be many more this season of any significance, (unless there is some slimmed down versions of next years car)

organic

AR3-GP wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 20:39
chrisc90 wrote:
Indeed. If RB were gamblers, they wouldn't bring another upgrade to this car. Max doesn't need to win any more races from this point on yet you know he'll still take a handful with the current spec car. He just needs podiums from here and he could take podiums at a canter when his car was actually worse in prior seasons.
Max said there were more things in the pipeline in a press conference at Baku I believe whilst grinning, so they've been cooking this next upgrade up for a long time. At this time they didn't know their advantage would be similar across track types and conditions, and didn't know how different teams' upgrades would pan out.

Furthermore, if the new floor is already designed why would you not make the new floor spec rather than producing another old spec ? It would not cost much more to make a new spec. It's not like a mid-2023 floor could be saved for the rb20 as it'd be 8 months behind current development.. the only drawback would be a Monaco crash & crane incident that exposes your floor ideas, but I doubt this will happen in the remaining races frankly

Cassius
Cassius

AR3-GP wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:
I see 3 reasons for bringing the upgrade even if they don't need it for the WDC or WCC.
- check whether the update works. Risky to continue building on parts in cfd and WT for a full year before they are tested on track
- motivation for aero team - I can imagine people want to see their work appear on the car. Will give them energy if it works or if not, will help them learn and improve
- it will help in achieving some additional records and write history

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Cassius wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 22:04
AR3-GP wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:
I see 3 reasons for bringing the upgrade even if they don't need it for the WDC or WCC.
- check whether the update works. Risky to continue building on parts in cfd and WT for a full year before they are tested on track
- motivation for aero team - I can imagine people want to see their work appear on the car. Will give them energy if it works or if not, will help them learn and improve
I agree.

organic

There's the actual quote

ME4ME

Cassius wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 22:04
I think it's also about the type of upgrade. If it's just a geometrically fine-tuned evolution of the floor, so just some milimeters here and there, then that change is both harder to detect, harder to copy and possibly to less interest for rival teams.

If its more of a change in approach either overall or in a particular area, then it's obviously of much more value to the other teams since it might tells something about Red Bulls development direction. I think Red Bull would not want to play that card if they can avoid it.