2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
deadhead

Re: 2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Well, at least the car is reliable on Sundays!
Spoutnik wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 18:09
Dreadful strategy call from Ferrari, Leclerc would've finished ahead of one of the Merc at least.
Leclerc was keeping Russell behind, and he had harder compound... Why on earth stop him ? (i.e Vasseur said they didn't push enough the tires)
I dunno he was pretty slow the whole race bar the last few laps when the car was ligther. They kinda of finished the race where they deserve to be as a team.

Willy
Willy

What a cluster f*** of a strategy by this team! They keep failing so consistently in executing a strategy. How could they think of covering Russell on softs while they were on mediums? A noob like me sitting in front of a screen can feel it, a multi million tools equipped team screws it so badly.

Fred is either a complete puppet or he is totally inefficient. Why hasn't they fired their whole strategy team yet?

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

deadhead wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 18:22
Well, at least the car is reliable on Sundays!
Spoutnik wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 18:09
Dreadful strategy call from Ferrari, Leclerc would've finished ahead of one of the Merc at least.
Leclerc was keeping Russell behind, and he had harder compound... Why on earth stop him ? (i.e Vasseur said they didn't push enough the tires)
I dunno he was pretty slow the whole race bar the last few laps when the car was ligther. They kinda of finished the race where they deserve to be as a team.
Both Ferrari were pulling away from Alonso so I don't think they were "that slow".
Leclerc kept Russell behind so the speed difference wasn't so huge, even if this Merc is an autobus in straight line.
Hamilton was 1.1 (for 3 laps) behind Sainz when Ferrari told him to pit.
Overall finishing ahead of Alonso, and one of the Merc was on cards, easily. They should not have finished behind Alonso, Perez, Albon (??), and even Gasly probably without Stroll terrorism.

Consistanly downplaying the speed of the car like they will do in post race is unfair (for the technical team)... This car was easily P4-P5 and with some luck, one of them could've been on the podium like Hamilton did.

Vanja #66

This was a hard slap in the face for Ferrari wall, there was absolutely no need to pit as soon as they did with either car. Not an amazing pace, but there was no deg at all, not even for Sainz who pitted much later. Every race so far was about extending the stints, not cutting them short, how hard can it be to figure this out?!?

And then again, an amazing lack of observation of other cars on Hards - every car that started on them was going down the order. I am very curious to hear the excuses, I have a feeling they will top the stupidity of Binotto's last year's startegy excuse for Leclerc.

McLarens where unexpectedly quick on both compounds (likely heat up the tires more than other cars still and that paid off in a colder race), but keeping the P4/5/6 was perfectly possible.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

SoulPancake13
SoulPancake13

Vanja #66 wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 18:32
This was a hard slap in the face for Ferrari wall, there was absolutely no need to pit as soon as they did with either car. Not an amazing pace, but there was no deg at all, not even for Sainz who pitted much later. Every race so far was about extending the stints, not cutting them short, how hard can it be to figure this out?!?

And then again, an amazing lack of observation of other cars on Hards - every car that started on them was going down the order. I am very curious to hear the excuses, I have a feeling they will top the stupidity of Binotto's last year's startegy excuse for Leclerc.

McLarens where unexpectedly quick on both compounds (likely heat up the tires more than other cars still and that paid off in a colder race), but keeping the P4/5/6 was perfectly possible.
To be fair to the team, they just came out and admitted they made a mistake. They were too conservative with the tyre protection, they thought there would be more deg but they didn't get great data from FP2 according to Vasseur. I think the tyre warmup was the biggest issue, the car really struggles with the harder compounds in this condition.

Vanja #66

SoulPancake13 wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 18:50
To be fair to the team, they just came out and admitted they made a mistake. They were too conservative with the tyre protection, they thought there would be more deg but they didn't get great data from FP2 according to Vasseur. I think the tyre warmup was the biggest issue, the car really struggles with the harder compounds in this condition.
Wow, finally... Maybe some good changes are actually happening now.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Sevach
Sevach

Vanja #66 wrote:

It's not like Ferrari has a bad history of being unable to switch on harder compounds... oh wait they do.

Very dumb strategy even before the SC.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

SoulPancake13 wrote:
Vanja #66 wrote:

Whose fault is it that they missed FP2?

f1316
f1316

The strategy wasn’t good but the bigger problem, as Charles said, was the lack of pace. Just not fast at any point of the race and Charles talks of poor traction.

Part of me wonders if they made the wrong choice on downforce levels but I’m more worried that it wouldn’t have mattered and this is just a reflection of the genuine pace. I’m sure it’ll be better in Hungary - as this was never going to be the best race for Ferrari - but still, not the progress I think we all hoped to see.

SoulPancake13
SoulPancake13

AR3-GP wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 18:54
SoulPancake13 wrote:
Vanja #66 wrote:

Obviously Ferrari's, but that isn't really the point. Vasseur said that the problems began on Friday, self imposed yes, but nevertheless that was the reason behind the costly errors. I still don't get though how you can see Russell do over half the race distance on used softs and decide to go to the hards? It makes 0 sense to me. Lots of work for the team to do in variable conditions, it seems like if they don't have perfect data they can't make good judgements...

SoulPancake13
SoulPancake13

f1316 wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 18:55
The strategy wasn’t good but the bigger problem, as Charles said, was the lack of pace. Just not fast at any point of the race and Charles talks of poor traction.

Part of me wonders if they made the wrong choice on downforce levels but I’m more worried that it wouldn’t have mattered and this is just a reflection of the genuine pace. I’m sure it’ll be better in Hungary - as this was never going to be the best race for Ferrari - but still, not the progress I think we all hoped to see.
Sainz was actually quite strong on the old hards until he made a mistake and lost all the places in the DRS train. I think if Ferrari went long on the mediums we would have seen an improvement towards the end of the stint because there was 0 deg due to overprotection.

ringo

The pitstops timing was the right call. Remember even sainz was being caught by Lewis right before pitting. Lewis was in drs range. So i dont have a problem with their strategy. The safety car screwed their race really. The hard was maybe not best choice st the time.
Just an unlucky race. But this car is still quite strong. I can that it's much improved.
For Sure!!

Shal_Leg16
Shal_Leg16

SoulPancake13 wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 19:06
AR3-GP wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 18:54
SoulPancake13 wrote:

Obviously Ferrari's, but that isn't really the point. Vasseur said that the problems began on Friday, self imposed yes, but nevertheless that was the reason behind the costly errors. I still don't get though how you can see Russell do over half the race distance on used softs and decide to go to the hards? It makes 0 sense to me. Lots of work for the team to do in variable conditions, it seems like if they don't have perfect data they can't make good judgements...
When has been the data perfect? On the contrary whenever they follow the data they messup big ways.
I know its a bit lame but cant they just see whats everyone is doing? They would still endup better.
As soon as they pitted Leclerc for Hards the tube channel guy i was listening to started laughing, even he knew Hard wont work. Also he made a spl mention that nobody followed Leclerc in the pits in sort of mocking way. I mean even a Youtuber knew it better. Also it seems they often start the race with a thought of preserving the tyres and going long but most of the time they pit far too early like Russell on used softs pitted some 6-8 laps after Leclerc who was on Medium tyres. Its a joke

Xyz22
Xyz22

When you mix a bad car, a no sense free practice program, a mistake which costed Leclerc the FP2 session, Ferrari usual strategy clown show this was the only possible result.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

In qualifying, they sent both cars out on Inters on a dry track. This was ignored by many here because they qualified 3-4.

There is no improvement on the strategy side. Beaten by Williams? Good grief.