2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
bauc

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

We had good pitstop as well

Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

michl420
michl420

mwillems wrote:
10 Jul 2023, 12:30
michl420 wrote:
10 Jul 2023, 12:08
djos wrote:
10 Jul 2023, 12:00

What was to understand, a burning car was stopped on track and needed to be recovered. Even the commentators seemed surprised it wasn’t an instant SC call.
It is to understand if there is a 2 min fire and the car stay in gear, or you can push it immediatly with one hand off track.
Would those stewards be safe coming on to the track under a VSC to push a car, let alone that it might be on Fire? Are the cars going around safe under a VSC if there is a car on fire on the track?

Not sure the answer is yes to either of them in my view.

To your two questions I would say yes.
I know what you mean, and in this situation they do the right thing (because oft the truck in track).
But when there is a gap in the rail and the car stand one a wide track and can be seen from 500 meters for the upcoming drivers, I see no problem to recover it under VSC (even with a small fire). It is not the 100 % save thing but OK.

BMMR61

A team can’t have too much data when it comes to predictions of deg. I imagine the lack of practice at Austria and the extremely variable and coolish conditions here make assessing likely degradation very speculative. Looking at Lando’s first stint on mediums there was good reason to think softs on low fuel should easily do 14 laps but there’s still uncertainty. Thankfully both guys got their hards quickly into the window so there were no recriminations, only what ifs. What we can take away is race pace is better matching qualifying pace, better than Ferrari for sure.

Being cautious with your predictions is probably wise but for Hakkinen getting a bold prediction right is heroic! Stella loosened up post-race to say we were 3 tenths better at Austria, 4-4.5 tenths at Silverstone, some of that due to track length, some to the front wing that Lando had. In my experience gaining near 0.5 relative pace in a fortnight is unprecedented in recent times, no wonder everyone is raving! Rocketship! More to come if they maintain correlation = understanding.

djos

michl420 wrote:
10 Jul 2023, 13:18
mwillems wrote:
michl420 wrote:

It is to understand if there is a 2 min fire and the car stay in gear, or you can push it immediatly with one hand off track.
Would those stewards be safe coming on to the track under a VSC to push a car, let alone that it might be on Fire? Are the cars going around safe under a VSC if there is a car on fire on the track?

I know what you mean, and in this situation they do the right thing (because oft the truck in track).
But when there is a gap in the rail and the car stand one a wide track and can be seen from 500 meters for the upcoming drivers, I see no problem to recover it under VSC (even with a small fire). It is not the 100 % save thing but OK.
Watch the footage, the car is in the middle of nowhere. The nearest Marshall post is 10’s of meters away. Silverstone is a big circuit with many large open spaces due to it being an old RAF airfield.

"In downforce we trust"

BMMR61

Willy wrote:
10 Jul 2023, 03:32
djos wrote:
10 Jul 2023, 02:41
Willy wrote:
10 Jul 2023, 02:37
Does anyone here believe these upgrades were conceived after James Key left McLaren in March?
It's pretty obvious things changed rapidly after Stella took over - I don't think it's unreasonable to infer that he brought the Aero team back to a sensible level of prominence. Key was probably sidelined well before he left in March.
You have made your dislike for James Key apparent due to Riccardo affiliation and as such you blame Key for his problems. I would be happy to hear from someone who has an unbiased take on the matter. Besides, nobody thinks Riccardo could have delivered the result that Oscar did yesterday or so far this season.

It might very well be that this was Key's contribution, but he was fired before things could come to fruition. Stella has taken over from Seidl, not from Key.
I think bias is not a necessary position to conclude that McLaren’s progress stalled through the era of genuinely Key McLarens. Someone who should know this weekend said that the ditching of the MCL60 concept was decided as early as November - I had surmised it had to be at least as early as January or February. Key was strangely absent from the car launch in March and soon after came the announcement of his departure followed by the details of the new management structure. Then it was leaked that there had been simmering discontent that Key had not allowed greater involvement of the aero team in his concepts. Yesterday’s glowing praise of Peter and Neil and others by Stella indicates a much happier and more coherent group “moving forward” as they say!

So it looks like more than coincidental that the Austria/Britain/Hungary upgrades are part of a new concept which started to be conceived more than six months earlier. Sounds about right for the enormity of what amounts to the B spec McLaren MCL60.

Seerix
Seerix

MrGapes wrote:
10 Jul 2023, 12:05
So I didn't even realize, but Lando was running without the gurney and Oscar was thus the downforce differential between the two in the high speed... and to be honest that was a perfect scenario for the first stint. Looking at the telemetry, Oscar didn't lose as much lap time on the straights cause he was able to stay in Lando's split stream whilst maintaining downforce in the corners.
Lando mentioned in the post race interviews, he decided to run a bit less downforce than Oscar in case some racey situation happened. He thought it might have been the deciding factor in the defense against HAM.

CjC
CjC

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Just a fan's point of view

mclaren111

CjC wrote:
10 Jul 2023, 15:13

=D> =D> =D>

CjC
CjC

bauc wrote:
10 Jul 2023, 12:58

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4j3RURv-urE
Mclaren had the fastest stop in Austria I think as well…?

EDIT: yes they did. A 2.1 second stop👍🏻
Just a fan's point of view

bauc

CjC wrote:
10 Jul 2023, 16:15
bauc wrote:
10 Jul 2023, 12:58

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4j3RURv-urE
Mclaren had the fastest stop in Austria I think as well…?

EDIT: yes they did. A 2.1 second stop👍🏻
Yes, correct
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

mwillems

CjC wrote:
10 Jul 2023, 15:13

Ahahaha we aren't challenging Red Bull yet, MclarenRacing, you've still got work to do lol
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

michl420 wrote:
mwillems wrote:
michl420 wrote:

Stockton Rush... is that you?

Safety cars stand in the way of innovation 🤣

Anybody who casually puts Marshalls on the track at VSC speeds within 5 meters of cars needs their heads seeing to. Why would you introduce any risk of life at all.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

michl420
michl420

djos wrote:
10 Jul 2023, 13:38
michl420 wrote:
mwillems wrote:

Watch the footage, the car is in the middle of nowhere. The nearest Marshall post is 10’s of meters away. Silverstone is a big circuit with many large open spaces due to it being an old RAF airfield.

You are right in this special case. But I hate it that they make things like that always complicated. I looked at Google maps and 30 meters after the bridge there is a road and a 2 m gap in the rail. If the gap would be 3-4 meters the Marshalls can push the car this 40 meters and it is gone (it is made for rolling). For god's sake it is a race track, I bet ther is a failed car 10 times a year. Every second race the same again :x.
Btw. we are way of topic.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

:)

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

It is curious that at the exit of the turn, Chapel McLaren were already fast in qualifying, and in the race when Lewis was driving for Lando, and George for Oscar, they lost even more behind them, which allowed McLaren to make a breakaway and not let the Mercedes pilots on attack range with an open wing. Lando also noted that the Stowe turn, which is a medium-speed turn, they also went through it very quickly. As noted by Lando, one of the best. In general, in slow corners we are as fast as some others, but the main lack of speed is long straights. And here it is also curious that the Astons' high top speed did not give them any advantage either in qualifying or in the race. And this is the second Grand Prix in a row. McLaren's pace was only slightly behind only the Red Bulls' first car. Otherwise, this is a pure second speed in the peloton. It's incredible. I am sure that the secret of the second service pack lies in the updated livery. :D In Hungary, you will have to solve problems of a different nature: long slow and medium-speed turns are the weakest point of the chassis. It is curious where the Astons will end up, whether they will regain their second speed and where the McLaren will end up. We reduced the gap on the straights a little, reduced the gap in the corners, but the handling problems have not gone away. So let's wait and see.