Red Bull RB19

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
AMG.Tzan

Re: Red Bull RB19

I’ll wait for some side of I tires but that looks like a huge wing in front of the sidepod inlet!
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

BlueCheetah66
BlueCheetah66

AMG.Tzan wrote:
20 Jul 2023, 14:30
I’ll wait for some side of I tires but that looks like a huge wing in front of the sidepod inlet!
If you are talking about the part with pointed out in Albert Fabrega's post, that is just the lower part of the inlet

etusch

Cassius wrote:
20 Jul 2023, 11:34
organic wrote:
20 Jul 2023, 11:27
Will they open more louvers/engine cover to compensate?

They decreased the size of the airbox inlet for the RB19 relative to the RB18 considerably, and now downsizing also the sidepod inlet relative to last year (I would assume, just looking at it). It is very aggressive

Under impression that can compensate for a change at inlet side easily with larger outlet.
Or they were conservative with the inlet.

Could be the Honda engine can run at higher temperatures now and/or they have made their radiators more efficient.
do you know that, can they use 3d printed radiators for this season?
1-Efficiency
2-working higher temp engine
3-good enough air flow into air inlet
what I can think about it. I don't know budapest but here wheather is too hot. If it works good, wonderfull.

marcel171281
marcel171281

michl420 wrote:
20 Jul 2023, 14:10
Looks like the upper crash structure could go under the intake, like pre-22, for next year.
The crash structure is further back on the RB19 than the intake:

vertically it seems already lower positioned than the intake and this picture is from bahrein testing. The lower lip is already much higher now.

It is above the internal ducting, but I don't think under the ducting will be any good as it will be in the sidepod undercut.

ringo

This wider and higher inlet is to capture more airflow under the sidepod and push it outward.
Should increase the floor downforce as well as diffuser downforce based on what we understand about the previous version.
This could be more than 0.2s per lap.
And over long runs maybe less speed degradation.
The top of the side pod could be slightly indented similar to mercedes.
For Sure!!

gandharva

Finally they also changed the mirrors slightly to reduce drag.

organic

Clearer view of the reshaped inlet, undercut and cooling. Can also see the maximum louver open on the engine cover shoulder

📸 Juliane Cerasoli

Sidepod yet to be fitted

Floor looks like it is the same spec as Silverstone, and the same as launch spec except for the floor edge wing
Late afternoon here in Hungary and Red Bull still haven't put on the new fairing to go with the changes to the cooling intake.
I wonder what they are hiding?
(Detail: one of the team bosses said that my cell phone would suffer an "accident" after this photo 🤣)
Last edited by organic on 20 Jul 2023, 17:16, edited 1 time in total.

shady
shady

This looks like they want ingest more air for the undercut.. Who knows how many flows they have under the floor, but the delta between them and the undercut, and then the flow above the sidepods - just layers of differential. Adding mass/volume under the sidepods might add a few points. Who really knows without the CFD/Correlation
Last edited by shady on 20 Jul 2023, 17:22, edited 1 time in total.

organic

The lower leading edge has been treated very carefully compared to previous sidepod inlets. At least visually. The shapes are more 3d and fine tuned to allow such an aggressive letterbox. Vanja noted that you have to be careful with stalling/ingesting losses in certain conditions such as with wind and the leading edge suggests this is being carefully managed

Kyle engineers predicted in the RB18 launch video that raising the lower lip of the inlet is a direction they could go in, as the set back inlet relative to the lower lip allows them to do this with minimal changes in cooling requirement. The higher inlet lower lip with set back cooling entrance simply means drawing air from higher

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

I'm not "stunned".

organic

Me neither, but perhaps not the best angle to be stunned? Can't really tell what the geometry is doing on top / towards the rear of the undercut and how it forms a ramp

To me it looks like there's a hint of a waterslide and the engine cover might be a lot less tightly hugging than before.

zioture
zioture

Cs98
Cs98

organic wrote:
20 Jul 2023, 17:32
Me neither, but perhaps not the best angle to be stunned? Can't really tell what the geometry is doing on top / towards the rear of the undercut and how it forms a ramp

To me it looks like there's a hint of a waterslide and the engine cover might be a lot less tightly hugging than before.
The engine cover looks way different no? Also a hint of some funky geometry starting at the top of the sidepod, but can't really tell.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Is the back of the engine cover different? I don't remember it being nearly so "down firing".

organic

Cs98 wrote:
20 Jul 2023, 17:34
organic wrote:
20 Jul 2023, 17:32

The engine cover looks way different no? Also a hint of some funky geometry starting at the top of the sidepod, but can't really tell.
Yes perhaps the engine cover is very funky indeed