Ferrari SF23

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: Ferrari SF23

Hungary 2023:

gordonthegun

Sevach
Sevach

Redesigned flaps for a little extra downforce.

zioture
zioture

Andi76
Andi76

LM10 wrote:
20 Jul 2023, 23:14
Vanja #66 wrote:
20 Jul 2023, 18:42
LM10 wrote:
20 Jul 2023, 16:07
Does the higher throat indicate an even more extreme approach towards the classical Venturi floor?
In my view the opposite, it would indicate a step towards a high-throat-low-ride-height approach. They had this approach last year as well, F1-75 never had an extremely low throat-section like the early W13 had and I expected they were 110% certain they can make it work with going lower this year. Results proved otherwise...
Oh right, now I can remember that the RB19 has had a high throat from the beginning and thus giving up on classic Venturi-generated floor downforce.

Is Ferrari now somewhere between RB19 and W14 in terms of throat height? I’d be kind of upset to see Ferrari completely go the RBR way with their floor concept, proving that even with suspension work they would not be able to make their design work (for next season).
I think you're getting something mixed up here. The Red Bull last year had a very small throat height and the throat was also comparatively short, and strongly shifted to the back , if I remember correctly. It was the entire area in front of the throat that was relatively high and the "roof" was arched. This way, the Vortex of the front strakes was able to roll up more as it had more space available, making it more stable and arguably better positioned. All the way down to the kick point. But anyway - if I remember correctly the Throat was relatively far back, as well as low but short.

gordonthegun

Wings:

gordonthegun

Ferrari floor compared to the Red Bull one:

Vinlarr89
Vinlarr89

Such different floor concepts. Will be interesting to see if Ferrari move towards the RBR direction for 24 to close the gap. That being said, I still think Ferraris more simplistic Venturi could yield (and does show in certain conditions) great DF and good efficiency, but needs the mechanical engineering to increase the setup window

gordonthegun

Vinlarr89 wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 15:24
Such different floor concepts. Will be interesting to see if Ferrari move towards the RBR direction for 24 to close the gap. That being said, I still think Ferraris more simplistic Venturi could yield (and does show in certain conditions) great DF and good efficiency, but needs the mechanical engineering to increase the setup window
I think the setup window is so small because the floor is so simple.
Unfortunately, I think Ferrari doesn't have the ability (in my opinion by choice of the top management) to do better than it is doing.
Basically, the main concept of the floor is the same as last year thus keeping its limitations on finding the right setup easily.

ing.

Andi76 wrote:
21 Jul 2023, 20:08
I think you're getting something mixed up here. The Red Bull last year had a very small throat height and the throat was also comparatively short, and strongly shifted to the back , if I remember correctly. It was the entire area in front of the throat that was relatively high and the "roof" was arched. This way, the Vortex of the front strakes was able to roll up more as it had more space available, making it more stable and arguably better positioned. All the way down to the kick point. But anyway - if I remember correctly the Throat was relatively far back, as well as low but short.
The fact the team were blaming windy conditions (again) for the disappointing performance on Saturday would seem to indicate that perhaps the performance enhancing vortices developed by this car lack either strength or robustness. Any work done to better understand what’s happening on the current car can only benefit future designs.

Farnborough
Farnborough

I believe there's a big effect here with air volume and mass in those high roof front chamber.

"Pulled" by the same venturi, the larger volume takes longer to change it's absolute pressure, with fluctuations in floor/diffuser height running in reference to track, the larger volume chamber will be more stable in the load it applies.

You could see, describe, this effect as a air "heave" damper characteristic in absolute chassis oscillations that could lead to porpoising.

The type with much smaller front chamber volume will be excited at much faster frequency.

To the driver, the download consistency may be the biggest contrast rather than appreciably different peak load attainable.

Andi76
Andi76

ing. wrote:
24 Jul 2023, 18:56
Andi76 wrote:
21 Jul 2023, 20:08
The fact the team were blaming windy conditions (again) for the disappointing performance on Saturday would seem to indicate that perhaps the performance enhancing vortices developed by this car lack either strength or robustness. Any work done to better understand what’s happening on the current car can only benefit future designs.
There might be something to it. For me
it's total nonsense that fast corners are the car's performance problem. If you look at the performance in Austria, where there are many fast corners - the SF23 was good there. The problem is long radius corners. With this oblique flow, the downforce at the rear then tears off, which could be related to what you're saying.

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

The DRS flap looks pretty cranked, the main flap itself seems lower DF than RB. Very interesting curl on the DRS flap tips/endplate cutout, not sure if we've seen that before on Ferrari .

scuderiabrandon

Looks like this years monza spec rear wing. Notched behind actuator.

Vanja #66

That's a proper low-downforce wing, though I'm not sure why Baku wing wasn't used again, like in last year's race. Could be a bigger flap angle now (so bigger DRS effect), but we'll need to see the side view for a good comparison. Nice to see the flap endplate flick exploited, I believe it adds some downforce by enhancing the tip vortex when the flap is down.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie