2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
djos

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Frustrating race for Oscar today after an epic start and first stint. Perez should have been penalised for not leaving racing room as he very clearly forced Oscar off the track. Just a dirty move IMO.

Epic result for Lando tho, great to see the car was better than expected during the race.
"In downforce we trust"

DiogoBrand

djos wrote:
24 Jul 2023, 03:45
Frustrating race for Oscar today after an epic start and first stint. Perez should have been penalised for not leaving racing room as he very clearly forced Oscar off the track. Just a dirty move IMO.

Epic result for Lando tho, great to see the car was better than expected during the race.
The FIA being the FIA. Perez just casually throws another driver onto the gravel and just gets away with it.
A bit off topic but also: How could Leclerc get away with 5 seconds for speeding in the pit lane? Wasn't that supposed to be a drive through? I know he was braking and barely sped, but to me that's a binary incident: Either you sped in the pitlane or you didn't. Treating it any different just opens a bad can of worms (not that the FIA doesn't already open it every race).

runningmanz
runningmanz

DiogoBrand wrote:
24 Jul 2023, 03:19
I was wondering if Oscar had damage, because Norris was able to keep his distance to Perez and even gain at the end, the only time Perez made some ground was when Norris got held up by backmarkers. Meanwhile Oscar was losing to Hamilton and even the Ferraris. Sad about the result, but good to know his poor pace was caused by floor damage.
Interesting. Do we know when Oscar got the floor damage. Was it after the first pitstop as he was good in the first stint. If the damage was already there it leans more towards Oscar struggling to manage the overheating tyres which McLaren still said they have issues with even after these upgrades. Lando seems to be able to manage this issue much better. Hopefully Oscar can figure it out with the engineers going forward.

djos

runningmanz wrote:
24 Jul 2023, 05:01
DiogoBrand wrote:
I was wondering if Oscar had damage, because Norris was able to keep his distance to Perez and even gain at the end, the only time Perez made some ground was when Norris got held up by backmarkers. Meanwhile Oscar was losing to Hamilton and even the Ferraris. Sad about the result, but good to know his poor pace was caused by floor damage.
Interesting. Do we know when Oscar got the floor damage. Was it after the first pitstop as he was good in the first stint. If the damage was already there it leans more towards Oscar struggling to manage the overheating tyres which McLaren still said they have issues with even after these upgrades. Lando seems to be able to manage this issue much better. Hopefully Oscar can figure it out with the engineers going forward.
I suspect it was when he ran over the serrated curbs prior to being passed by Perez - he got a warning for his trouble.
"In downforce we trust"

runningmanz
runningmanz

djos wrote:
24 Jul 2023, 05:10
runningmanz wrote:
DiogoBrand wrote:
I suspect it was when he ran over the serrated curbs prior to being passed by Perez - he got a warning for his trouble.
Ah ok what lap? His pace seemed to drop off right after the first stint tho. Was odd as he was strong in the first stint.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

runningmanz wrote:
24 Jul 2023, 05:22
djos wrote:
runningmanz wrote:

Ah ok what lap? His pace seemed to drop off right after the first stint tho. Was odd as he was strong in the first stint.
I think it's around lap 43.
A lion must kill its prey.

djos

AR3-GP wrote:
24 Jul 2023, 05:23
runningmanz wrote:
24 Jul 2023, 05:22
djos wrote:

I think it's around lap 43.
That sounds about right.
"In downforce we trust"

runningmanz
runningmanz

Stella reckons Piastri's issue was more to do with the floor damage and that he might have done it multiple times not just with Perez.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2023/07/24/fl ... n-hungary/

DiogoBrand

I thought he got the damage when Perez run him wide over the gravel but I’m not sure.

MrGapes

Slahinki wrote:
24 Jul 2023, 01:37
Just saw someone on the subreddit go through the period Norris was stuck behind Tsunoda to see how long he was held up. 17 blue flag panels. He let Norris by as they were passing the 18th panel. Meanwhile he let Perez by in 5... Must be really nice to have 2 additional cars in the race you can use as speed bumps when you need it. No idea why the FIA tolerates this crap.
At first I wasn't very happy with Landos comments on the radio but then I watched the onboard and it literally cost him 3-4s to Perez. Whilist Hulk and Daniel were a perfect example of how to minimize time loss and let drivers through.

Mostlyeels
Mostlyeels

runningmanz wrote:
24 Jul 2023, 07:33
Stella reckons Piastri's issue was more to do with the floor damage and that he might have done it multiple times not just with Perez.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2023/07/24/fl ... n-hungary/
Nice compliment from Stella:
“Oscar is a guy that doesn’t look for excuses,” Stella said.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

If people see the racing pace of Oscar and Lando, they will understand that Oscar began to lose pace at the end of the first stint. I conclude that the bottom was damaged on the first stint when the race engineer asked him to give the desired racing pace on the first stint. Lando at this point even began to gradually approach Oscar. Perhaps not, but in fact, starting from the second stint, Oscar was consistently slower and inferior to the entire second and third stint. If the underbody hadn't been damaged, Oscar wouldn't have missed Sergio and Lewis so easily, if only because his own racing pace was much closer to Lando's and the rear tires wouldn't have gone very fast. Stella confirmed that the reduction in downforce occurred at the rear, hence the diffuser.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Andrea Stella promised to bring new parts this year. The team is in high spirits, I think the latest results only further motivate the team employees. The main thing is not to go beyond the limits of budgets, and the basis of the aerodynamic package will definitely be transferred to the next season. Moreover, I understand, if we take into account the words of Zak, they intend to open the scoring of victories this year after the summer break, possibly towards the end of the season.

_cerber1

Will there be suspension updates in Belgium, or after the summer break?

mclaren111

mwillems wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 20:37
Darth-Piekus wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 17:29
I think the damage he got must have played some role with how effective aerodynamics are on a car.
No sh!t.
:lol: =D> =D> :lol: