2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
diffuser

Re: 2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

AR3-GP wrote:
27 Jul 2023, 21:09
Fernando for.......drugovich? :-?

and keep Stroll? Unconscionable.
Really like that choice of words..."unconscionable".

-wkst-
-wkst-

Although I like the calm and most of the time analytic approach of Krack, I don't know what to believe. For the last weeks they insisted that this is just track related (when most of the fans already feared that this isn't just track related), suddenly after Budapest they admitted doing mistakes in the development - but understand what to do.

In reality I think they just don't have the development rate of their opponents and that's the main reason why they fell back. Additionally the Canada upgrades obviously made the car worse in some aspects.

diffuser

-wkst- wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 07:44
Although I like the calm and most of the time analytic approach of Krack, I don't know what to believe. For the last weeks they insisted that this is just track related (when most of the fans already feared that this isn't just track related), suddenly after Budapest they admitted doing mistakes in the development - but understand what to do.

In reality I think they just don't have the development rate of their opponents and that's the main reason why they fell back. Additionally the Canada upgrades obviously made the car worse in some aspects.
What he said could be interpreted that way. They've also never said they were ready for prime time. In fact, Alonso mentioned that in season development might be a challenge. Like he was expecting issues.

nowaysthatsreal
nowaysthatsreal

It’s not out of the norm to get development directions wrong, example mclaren got the launch car wrong and so did merc. Ferrari changed their philosophy by a bit. They are same folks who built the launch car, it’s a learning process for them to operate at this level. I’m sure they’ll try to get good solutions to move forward.

lio007

KimiRai wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 03:29
AR3-GP wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 02:28
With the new financial regulations, Lawrence can still get a return on his investment whether or not Lance drives.
Not a serious analysis or anything like that but if Alpine was recently valued at close to $900 million in total, and in the case Aston is valued for example at $1 billion, taking into account Stroll bought Force India for $117 million in 2018 then you add the costs of maintaining the team these last 4 years and all the other expenses and investments... it's possible he's already on paper at a profit rather than a loss without further success. Would like to know the real numbers just as curiosity.
You also have to consider that Lawrence Stroll ist not the sole owner of Aston Martin. Yes, he might be the biggest shareholder, but last year PIF (Public Investment Fonds) bought a large part of the team. And you may also know, PIF is the owner of Aramco.
There were reports PIF paid 770 million € for their share package.

edit:
Back in 2020 Stroll and his partners aquired 16,7% of Aston Martin (216,5 million €). But from the beginning the intention was to increase that to 20%. With the aquisiton they also pumped some 318 million Pounds into Aston Martin to keep it alive.
The group of investors have been Lawrence Stroll, Andre Desmarais, Michael de Picciotto, Silas Chou, John Idol, Lord Anthony Bamford, John McCaw.

diffuser

lio007 wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 12:58
KimiRai wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 02:28
With the new financial regulations, Lawrence can still get a return on his investment whether or not Lance drives.
Not a serious analysis or anything like that but if Alpine was recently valued at close to $900 million in total, and in the case Aston is valued for example at $1 billion, taking into account Stroll bought Force India for $117 million in 2018 then you add the costs of maintaining the team these last 4 years and all the other expenses and investments... it's possible he's already on paper at a profit rather than a loss without further success. Would like to know the real numbers just as curiosity.
You also have to consider that Lawrence Stroll ist not the sole owner of Aston Martin. Yes, he might be the biggest shareholder, but last year PIF (Public Investment Fonds) bought a large part of the team. And you may also know, PIF is the owner of Aramco.

edit:
Back in 2020 Stroll and his partners aquired 16,7% of Aston Martin (216,5 million €). But from the beginning the intention was to increase that to 20%. With the aquisiton they also pumped some 318 million Pounds into Aston Martin to keep it alive.
The group of investors have been Lawrence Stroll, Andre Desmarais, Michael de Picciotto, Silas Chou, John Idol, Lord Anthony Bamford, John McCaw.
Aston Martin and Aston Martin Racing are 2 different things. AM is just a car company that Stroll bought a piece of, at a bargain price, cause he needed a sponsor for his Racing team. He also thought the synergy of F1 race victories and publicity of F1 in general could help car sales and in the end AM value.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

diffuser wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 12:20
-wkst- wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 07:44

What he said could be interpreted that way. They've also never said they were ready for prime time. In fact, Alonso mentioned that in season development might be a challenge. Like he was expecting issues.

I doubt they thought their development would be slow. It seems more like what they thought they were bringing, and what it ended did not correlate.
A lion must kill its prey.

Farnborough
Farnborough

Banjaxxed by the merc wind tunnel "correlation" issues :D

It did for zeropod too :mrgreen:

The Prodigy
The Prodigy

diffuser wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 13:26
lio007 wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 12:58
KimiRai wrote:

edit:
Aston Martin and Aston Martin Racing are 2 different things. AM is just a car company that Stroll bought a piece of, at a bargain price, cause he needed a sponsor for his Racing team. He also thought the synergy of F1 race victories and publicity of F1 in general could help car sales and in the end AM value.
Stroll is not a business man. He is a extremely successful business man. Look at his past. This guy knows how to make money and to turn businesses around. They same will happen with AM and AMR. What I like about him from a business perspective is that he is always 100% dedicated and focused with a clear long term plan and long term strategy. Because of that I bought a --- load AM stocks at 1,20€. I believe in Stroll Junior.

The only difference this time is that his son is heavily involved and that racing/cars is his personal passion. Maybe Stroll Junior will take over the AMR/AM business in the future ;)

selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002

9 and 10 for Alonso and stroll. not good result for them in mixed condition either. don't know what is going on with the team.

NAPI10
NAPI10

selvam_e2002 wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 18:36
9 and 10 for Alonso and stroll. not good result for them in mixed condition either. don't know what is going on with the team.
Is this the first time u visited this team thread?
AM qualified exactly where they r in terms of one lap pace. No surprise there.
I was expecting worse.

max_speed
max_speed

Yeah i was sure they will be outside Q3 today so bit better. I always get one thought why alonso is driving, i guess because he has hooe to get one last chance with good car. Not sure though Aston will be there in next 3 years. You have to finish 2nd atleast for 1 or 2 years to even fight for 1.

LookingGlass

selvam_e2002 wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 18:36
Very neutral about the finish. Conditions weren't great and virtually no practice but both Fernando and Stroll made it into Q3. This is the same qualifying that almost had Max out in Q2. Tomorrow and Sunday will show more if they've stopped the bleeding.

KimiRai
KimiRai

Was expecting worse too, 9 and 10 is not that bad. Only that Lance was 1 second off Fernando's pace which was way too much, not sure if he made a mistake or something but it's okay.

max_speed wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 19:12
Not sure though Aston will be there in next 3 years. You have to finish 2nd atleast for 1 or 2 years to even fight for 1.
I get what you mean but for example Renault was 4th in 2003 and 3rd in 2004.

Jambier

The team is now a solid fifth.

I am not sure there is hope for this year, maybe there is a way to fix this maybe not and then let’s focus on next year

The issue is that we only are mid season so it will be a very painful half season to come