2023 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa-Francorchamps, July 28 - 30

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
langedweil

Re: 2023 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa-Francorchamps, July 28 - 30

GrizzleBoy wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 00:52
At the time when Hamilton was on the kerb at the apex there was nowhere near 1.5 cars width.
There was, heaps of pics/footage of that.
It only disappeares after understeering.

The FIA literally said from all their telemetry and camera angles that they have that Perez left little space at the apex which is what pushed Hamilton onto the waterlogged kerb and lose traction.
The italic is what you want to read, the statement itself says "Hamilton drove onto the kerb and subsequently understeered into Perez".
It was Ham's choice to continue on the wet kerb, knowing very well the possible consequence of that.

.. but Hams loss of traction and requirement of taking a tighter line due to Perez squeezing on corner entrance and not using all of the track on the exit (until he got tapped) caused him to drift.
So basically going for a gap that was allways gonna disappear ?
Understandably he tried, and applaud that kind of racing way above drs passes. But sometimes it doesn't work out. Like it did now.
As i said, I have no real opinion on the penalty honestly, I see both sides. But in the end one driver understeered into another.

Like I said in an earlier post, you're not even arguing with me anymore, you're arguing with the FIA.
How is it arguing with the FIA as I'm stating exactly the same as they did ? I just don't care about whether it was a penalty or not.
Pls don't make up things ..
HuggaWugga !

ringo

Steven wrote:
29 Jul 2023, 22:08
Detail of damage on Perez' sidepod:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F2OR3AXXQAA ... name=large
Hamilton's floor got damaged as well by Perez squeezing.
Hence why he was not able to catch gasly.
He really had some pace for P2 i think.
For Sure!!

DAMNINice

Can anyone tell me why none of the unsafe releases have been investigated?
Gawky was only third because the others waited for the upcoming cars to pass while he was released unsafe.

I don’t get it.
REal men play with twins!

TFSA

Hammerfist wrote:
29 Jul 2023, 22:55
Yea thats baloney sorry. That is not what it says in the rule book. There is no such definition of the defending car being ahead after the apex. You just nade that up? Here is the rule quoted from a planet f1 article regarding the matter:
(...)

Basically you must leave enough room on exit if someone is alongside you. Plain and simple. Its not like hamilton was not in control and pushed him off the track. He made contact because perez did not use all the available track. Theres always going to be understeer in that corner. Perez being a f1 caliber driver should anticipate it. Once you lose the inside line you have to recognize that you are in a defensive situation and your goal should be to avoid contact, not trying to save what is lost desperately trying to squeeze a car whose momentum is always going to go wide. Thats just dumb driving. I mean you can see hamiltons car from perezs onboard before he decides to turn in anyway. The fact hamiltons car is visible from the onbiard camera shows how far alongside he was. The fact perez got ahead before contact is a result of him faking an advantage he never had.

Alonso pulled a similar move with hamilton in bahrain. Different corner i know but hamilton conceded because alonso was too far alongside. Had hamilton squeezed there there would have been contact and the same stewards would have probably penalized alonso. That doesnt make it right though.
So first of all, this is my first post here, so i should put a Disclaimer that I'm not a troll account. I've been in the Discord a few weeks participating in the race discussion. I'm also making this post to educate people on the rules, and not to fanboy for either Red Bull or Mercedes. Just wanted to make that clear before the rest of my post.

So with that out of the way: What you just wrote here is a gross misinterpretation of the rules.

Your argument is essentially, that Perez, being on the outside, should be forced to take a wide line because he doesn't have the inside. But that's not what the rules say at all. If you're gonna quote the relevant rules here, you should quote all of it:

Nowhere there does it support your supposition that Perez should take the wide line. Perez, being the leading driver, can take any line he wants as long as he gives Hamilton sufficient space (ie, don't run/squeeze him off the track).

Rather, the rules make it very clear, that it is on the overtaking car - in this case Hamilton - to perform the overtake (QUOTE) in a safe and controlled manner (UNQUOTE). Understeering into the other car is neither safe, nor controlled. Hence why Hamilton was penalized.

This is no different than Silverstone 2021. I still see people argue that Verstappen had 3 cars space on his left at Copse. But that isn't relevant. Verstappen and Perez in these two incidents are not, at any point, required to take the wide line. I'm honestly curious where this interpretation of the rules comes from. It seems to be something F1 fans have invented randomly, probably to fit their narrative. But i can assure you that it isn't the case. As long as the cars (which can be both of them) have earned the right to space, they can take any racing line they want as long as sufficient space is given, and the overtaking car fulfills his obligation to perform the overtake safely.

Now, there could be mitigating factors that could make this a racing incident. The first is that Hamilton was slightly compromised/squeezed in the corner just before the contact. Now Perez didn't squeeze him out of the track, so he was left enough space. But his exit was compromised. The Stewards did note this in the penalty document, but decided this wasn't enough to alleviate him of his responsibility for the collision. The other could be a wet track. However, the track in this case was quickly drying, and therefore very driveable. To use that as a defense, you pretty much have to be aquaplaning.

-

I was also curious about your comparison to Hamilton and Alonso in Bahrain, so i went back and rewatched both of these. And assuming you mean Fernandos overtake on Lap 38: And there's absolutely nothing there. In the first corner on lap 38, Alonso initially looks to go for an outside overtake, but isn't far enough along to be entitled to space. However, that is completely irrelevant, as he doesn't attempt an overtake on the outside, but rather does a complete switch to the inside, and instantly gets up on Hamiltons side going into the second corner.

Having the inside on the second corner, he completely ofsets Hamilton. Hamilton in that corner, being on the outside, is not entitled to any space, as he - by the guidelines above - has to be fully alongside Alonso from the Apex of the corner, which he - as the picture below clear demonstrates - isn't in any way, shape of form.

The long and short of it is that this is a slam dunk penalty for Hamilton. He was left enough space, but understeered into Perez. And Perez is NOT obliged to go wide - he's only obliged to not squeeze Hamilton. The overtaking car has the responsibility to perform the overtake in a safe and controller manner.
Last edited by TFSA on 30 Jul 2023, 18:48, edited 4 times in total.

Tzk
Tzk

Maybe the Stewats wanted to avoid the same shotstorm like in Austria when the tracklimits were enforced? What's the point of handing penalties to (more or less) all cars?

I don't get it either...

chrisc90

ringo wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 03:16
Steven wrote:
29 Jul 2023, 22:08
Detail of damage on Perez' sidepod:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F2OR3AXXQAA ... name=large
Hamilton's floor got damaged as well by Perez squeezing.
Hence why he was not able to catch gasly.
He really had some pace for P2 i think.
Which bit got damaged? Any photos or reports?

Edax
Edax

cplchanb wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 00:53
holeindalip wrote:
29 Jul 2023, 22:23
Red Bulls side pods are at the max width, same exact contact Russell had with max at Baku. Tire to sidepod…
On that note Russell DID NOT get any penalty for that hit even though he went airborne and was completely out of control. Wheres the freaking consistency in penalty application?

And before anyone says it it's been said time and time again, the penalty is on the action not the outcome.
I do think the potential outcome is counted (sic how dangerous is the pass)

It makes a lot of difference whether you have contact in Stavelot, Raidillon or or a slow corner at Baku. Spa is a big balls circuit, and both driver and spectator protection is marginal in some places.

I can well imagine they hand out a penalty just to encourage people to think before they play around in these corners. Before you know it the wheels hook or a rim breaks and it gets ugly in a hurry.

So Hamilton should have either made the pass and succeeded or refrained from it. The penalty just reflects that trying and failing is not an option.

LM10
LM10

denyall wrote:
29 Jul 2023, 23:00
I didn't see any discussion on why a full SC was called and not a VSC for Alonso?

In the Sprint format, wouldn't a VSC have been preferred?
Isn't there a rule that SC needs to be deployed as soon as there are recovery vehicles on track?

chrisc90

LM10 wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 09:31
denyall wrote:
I didn't see any discussion on why a full SC was called and not a VSC for Alonso?

Isn't there a rule that SC needs to be deployed as soon as there are recovery vehicles on track?
Yep. The review into the Japan 2022 incidents changed that.

Deployment of recovery vehicles and marshals

The review concluded that all FIA race procedures were followed. After the incident involving the Ferrari of Carlos Sainz at Turn 12, the track was neutralised with the Safety Car before marshals and recovery vehicles were deployed on track.

The review noted that in such conditions, a recovery vehicle should not be deployed unless all cars are aligned behind the Safety Car. Furthermore, marshals and recovery equipment would only be deployed whilst cars are on track (Safety Car periods) when the weather conditions and location of the cars to be recovered allow for a quick and safe intervention.

search

Available tyres for the race:

Full Wets and Intermediates are based on my notes from live timing only, so may not be 100% accurate, but basically looks like the same for everyone anyway

Steven
Owner

DAMNINice wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 06:29
Can anyone tell me why none of the unsafe releases have been investigated?
Gawky was only third because the others waited for the upcoming cars to pass while he was released unsafe.

I don’t get it.
It's not the first time this happens. I have the impression the stewards close their eyes a little bit in these sort of situations when many drivers enter the pitlane. I mean usually it ends up alright but if you're going to be very strict then the front runners stopping in the first few boxes would be seriously disadvantaged as they'd have to wait for the rest to pass before they get going again.

I think in these situations they only act if there is a real coming together or a team/driver complaint.

Steven
Owner

Strategies IF it is dry:

SirBastianVettel
SirBastianVettel

Any locals who can give us a weather update?

Juzh

langedweil wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 01:24
denyall wrote:

I guess to avoid a Jules-like accident ...
How would a jules-like accident happen under VSC? Dudes are driving 30-40 seconds off the pace, very unlike what drivers were doing under double yellows in the past, and conditions weren't all that bad. You could see clearly under those reduced speeds. Another daft decision by fia.

chrisc90

Any indications on race pace from the sprint yesterday?