2023 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa-Francorchamps, July 28 - 30

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Farnborough
Farnborough

Re: 2023 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa-Francorchamps, July 28 - 30

Juzh wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 10:42
langedweil wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 01:24
denyall wrote:
29 Jul 2023, 23:00
I didn't see any discussion on why a full SC was called and not a VSC for Alonso?

In the Sprint format, wouldn't a VSC have been preferred?
I guess to avoid a Jules-like accident ...
How would a jules-like accident happen under VSC? Dudes are driving 30-40 seconds off the pace, very unlike what drivers were doing under double yellows in the past, and conditions weren't all that bad. You could see clearly under those reduced speeds. Another daft decision by fia.
It was the failure in Suzuka to control the pace of ALL the drivers at ALL of the points on circuit that contrived to have JB legally going at full chat to catch up with the pace car jurisdiction.

Hence the creation on VSC to effectively put blanket speed limits and awareness IMMEDIATELY on all cars irrespective of their position one to another, and on track in relation to any impediments.

There then exists relatively a more calm and extended view of situations tgat may have bern missed, to then clear the risk site.

Should have been triggered with Sainz ? incident in Suzuka last time too.

FanAmp

The one thing I am really looking forward to see is how many laps Max takes to get to the first position.

renault rs26
renault rs26

Edax wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 08:48
cplchanb wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 00:53
holeindalip wrote:
29 Jul 2023, 22:23
Red Bulls side pods are at the max width, same exact contact Russell had with max at Baku. Tire to sidepod…
On that note Russell DID NOT get any penalty for that hit even though he went airborne and was completely out of control. Wheres the freaking consistency in penalty application?

And before anyone says it it's been said time and time again, the penalty is on the action not the outcome.
I do think the potential outcome is counted (sic how dangerous is the pass)

It makes a lot of difference whether you have contact in Stavelot, Raidillon or or a slow corner at Baku. Spa is a big balls circuit, and both driver and spectator protection is marginal in some places.

I can well imagine they hand out a penalty just to encourage people to think before they play around in these corners. Before you know it the wheels hook or a rim breaks and it gets ugly in a hurry.

So Hamilton should have either made the pass and succeeded or refrained from it. The penalty just reflects that trying and failing is not an option.
You're just spreading misinformation, he's not punished for trying and failing but for trying and crashing into Perez.

chrisc90

New set of everything for Nico.

renault rs26
renault rs26

FanAmp wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 12:17
The one thing I am really looking forward to see is how many laps Max takes to get to the first position.
I'd say, if it's dry, lap 6 minus number of positions he gain on the start.
Last edited by renault rs26 on 30 Jul 2023, 12:24, edited 1 time in total.

chrisc90

7-10 I’d say. We already know he’s going to be careful on the start.

organic

TFSA wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 06:52
Hammerfist wrote:
29 Jul 2023, 22:55
Yea thats baloney sorry. That is not what it says in the rule book. There is no such definition of the defending car being ahead after the apex. You just nade that up? Here is the rule quoted from a planet f1 article regarding the matter:
(...)

Basically you must leave enough room on exit if someone is alongside you. Plain and simple. Its not like hamilton was not in control and pushed him off the track. He made contact because perez did not use all the available track. Theres always going to be understeer in that corner. Perez being a f1 caliber driver should anticipate it. Once you lose the inside line you have to recognize that you are in a defensive situation and your goal should be to avoid contact, not trying to save what is lost desperately trying to squeeze a car whose momentum is always going to go wide. Thats just dumb driving. I mean you can see hamiltons car from perezs onboard before he decides to turn in anyway. The fact hamiltons car is visible from the onbiard camera shows how far alongside he was. The fact perez got ahead before contact is a result of him faking an advantage he never had.

Alonso pulled a similar move with hamilton in bahrain. Different corner i know but hamilton conceded because alonso was too far alongside. Had hamilton squeezed there there would have been contact and the same stewards would have probably penalized alonso. That doesnt make it right though.
So first of all, this is my first post here, so i should put a Disclaimer that I'm not a troll account. I've been in the Discord a few weeks participating in the race discussion. I'm also making this post to educate people on the rules, and not to fanboy for either Red Bull or Mercedes. Just wanted to make that clear before the rest of my post.

So with that out of the way: What you just wrote here is a gross misinterpretation of the rules.

Your argument is essentially, that Perez, being on the outside, should be forced to take a wide line because he doesn't have the inside. But that's not what the rules say at all. If you're gonna quote the relevant rules here, you should quote all of it:

https://i.imgur.com/LacC2dl.png

Nowhere there does it support your supposition that Perez should take the wide line. Perez, being the leading driver, can take any line he wants as long as he gives Hamilton sufficient space (ie, don't run/squeeze him off the track).

Rather, the rules make it very clear, that it is on the overtaking car - in this case Hamilton - to perform the overtake (QUOTE) in a safe and controller manner (UNQUOTE). Understeering into the other car is neither safe, nor controlled. Hence why Hamilton was penalized.

This is no different than Silverstone 2021. I still see people argue that Verstappen had 3 cars space on his left at Copse. But that isn't relevant. Verstappen and Perez in these two incidents are not, at any point, required to take the wide line. I'm honestly curious where this interpretation of the rules comes from. It seems to be something F1 fans have invented randomly, probably to fit their narrative. But i can assure you that it isn't the case. As long as the cars (which can be both of them) have earned the right to space, they can take any racing line they want as long as sufficient space is given, and the overtaking car fulfills his obligation to perform the overtake safely.

Now, there could be mitigating factors that could make this a racing incident. The first is that Hamilton was slightly compromised/squeezed in the corner just before the contact. Now Perez didn't squeeze him out of the track, so he was left enough space. But his exit was compromised. The Stewards did note this in the penalty document, but decided this wasn't enough to alleviate him of his responsibility for the collision. The other could be a wet track. However, the track in this case was quickly drying, and therefore very driveable. To use that as a defense, you pretty much have to be aquaplaning.

-

I was also curious about your comparison to Hamilton and Alonso in Bahrain, so i went back and rewatched both of these. And assuming you mean Fernandos overtake on Lap 38: And there's absolutely nothing there. In the first corner on lap 38, Alonso initially looks to go for an outside overtake, but isn't far enough along to be entitled to space. However, that is completely irrelevant, as he doesn't attempt an overtake on the outside, but rather does a complete switch to the inside, and instantly gets up on Hamiltons side going into the second corner.

Having the inside on the second corner, he completely ofsets Hamilton. Hamilton in that corner, being on the outside, is not entitled to any space, as he - by the guidelines above - has to be fully alongside Alonso from the Apex of the corner, which he - as the picture below clear demonstrates - isn't in any way, shape of form.
https://i.imgur.com/L4M26Tf.png

The long and short of it is that this is a slam dunk penalty for Hamilton. He was left enough space, but understeered into Perez. And Perez is NOT obliged to go wide - he's only obliged to not squeeze Hamilton. The overtaking car has the responsibility to perform the overtake in a safe and controller manner.
Thank you for such a clear, neutral and thorough post. Not a bad way to open your account :P

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

FanAmp wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 12:17
I think lap 4/5 if there's no SC. He will get a mega tow heading into Les Combes I think he will be P3 at the beginning of sector 2.
Remember Perez and Ocon in 2018 who at the mega tow of Lewis + Seb in front, and the Force India didn't had a rocket top speed (even if it was good), they braked early in order to not interfer in the WDC but.. who knows
Last edited by Spoutnik on 30 Jul 2023, 12:34, edited 1 time in total.

organic

chrisc90 wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 08:47
ringo wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 03:16
Steven wrote:
29 Jul 2023, 22:08
Detail of damage on Perez' sidepod:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F2OR3AXXQAA ... name=large
Hamilton's floor got damaged as well by Perez squeezing.
Hence why he was not able to catch gasly.
He really had some pace for P2 i think.
Which bit got damaged? Any photos or reports?

The floor edge wing on the left side was damaged where it is very cranked. This would've affected the entire floor vortex system, pretty substantially I'd imagine

omegacel71

I think max will take it extra careful today and may even lose positions at the start. He knows his pace advantage. He'll take 8-10 laps to take the lead.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

omegacel71 wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 12:32
I think max will take it extra careful today and may even lose positions at the start. He knows his pace advantage. He'll take 8-10 laps to take the lead.
What are the odds for an incident between him and Perez at Les Combes :oops:

omegacel71

Spoutnik wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 12:35
omegacel71 wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 12:32
What are the odds for an incident between him and Perez at Les Combes :oops:
Zero. Perez won't fight max for position.

DGP123
DGP123

Knowing how bad this season has been, I can see Max leading within 3 or 4 laps. The Mclaren is slow on a straight, and I can see Perez/Hamilton taking each other out at T7. Verstappen will avoid all the carnage, and will casually drive through, like the parting of the seas. Takes Leclerc, and drives into the distance.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

What strategy do you expect for today ?
I think Max will go for M-S-M in order to be able to win the race by putting fast laps in clean air if he's caught in a DRS train (even if it's unlikely).
I can see Russell, who is starting from a little bit behind the top runners going for M-H
The others front runners might go for the expected S-M-S/M depending on which tyres still available.

organic

Spoutnik wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 13:02
What strategy do you expect for today ?
I think Max will go for M-S-M in order to be able to win the race by putting fast laps in clean air if he's caught in a DRS train (even if it's unlikely).
I can see Russell, who is starting from a little bit behind the top runners going for M-H
The others front runners might go for the expected S-M-S/M depending on which tyres still available.
I think max will 1-stop leveraging his degradation advantage over everyone else to avoid traffic and to use his extra pace