2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Ben1980
Ben1980

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

organic wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 18:03
Ben1980 wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 18:02
LionsHeart wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 18:00
I wrote in vain that with the expectation of rain, it’s not a fact that it will turn out. But even without rain, I generally came to the conclusion that the car was not the second fastest on the race track. Yes, there is a team error - Late called to the pits. But even without this, I did not see a high racing pace. So let it be for me personally the minimization of losses. It's still better, as both McLaren's cars were off the points for most of the race.

The car was second best I'd say, alongside the Mercs.
AMR seemed quicker in my opinion. Alonso was very quick in the dry period of the race. I'm aware McLaren and Merc were stuck behind others, but Alonso was able to scythe through the pack on lap 1 easily, and then again when he had a slow stop and was behind Sainz. Only ever got stuck behind someone for a couple of corners, and also was setting fastest laps which were on the same pace as RB were running at times. I'm not saying AMR are definitely ahead, I'd just be wary of their pace
Alonso had a good start then made the right call and pretty much had it easy after that. And Stroll was non existent. But I'm not sure the AM was a faster car though maybe all very similar. I think you could have that race again and any of tge 3 could be second.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

CjC wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 18:05
LionsHeart wrote:
I wrote in vain that with the expectation of rain, it’s not a fact that it will turn out. But even without rain, I generally came to the conclusion that the car was not the second fastest on the race track. Yes, there is a team error - Late called to the pits. But even without this, I did not see a high racing pace. So let it be for me personally the minimization of losses. It's still better, as both McLaren's cars were off the points for most of the race.
Don’t think we saw a high race pace because they were stuck behind drivers who’s team made the correct decision to fit intermediate tyres. Mclaren put themselves on the back foot almost immediately
Maybe you are right. Yes, it's quite possible. Perhaps in clean air McLaren would be faster. But the car still did not allow to sharply attack the opponents in front. Tsunoda resisted easily. And only on fresher tires Lando and Lewis managed to overtake Yuki.

The team should solve this problem by next year. In any case, I think Red Bull and Aston were faster. Where would Lando and Oscar have been had they been invited to the pit much sooner?

Darth-Piekus

I dont think I am asking for too much. If Mclaren wants to be a championship winning team they have to create a perfect car in the next two years but for that to happen the next car must be good in all situations. Every top team did that in the past. They even bounced back from a bad start.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Ben1980 wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 18:02
LionsHeart wrote:

The car was second best I'd say, alongside the Mercs.
After Mercedes? Fine. What about Mercedes? Astons and Red Bull? :)
In this case, McLaren, at best, could be the fourth most powerful car. Although Ferrari and Alpin are also the same car in front of McLaren.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

I did not want rain so much, fearing chaos. I love and am used to pure racing, where everything is decided by the pure speed of the car and fast pit stops. And then everything went down the drain. Now I have calmed down, relaxed. But during the race, I had the feeling that the engineers set the team up. During the race, someone wrote that it was Lando's decision to stay on the track? Am I right or wrong now? Well, it's not the first time Lando tries to portray Jenson, who often guessed with the moment with the arrival in the pits. But why was Oscar left?

mwillems

CjC wrote:
LionsHeart wrote:
Don’t think we saw a high race pace because they were stuck behind drivers who’s team made the correct decision to fit intermediate tyres. Mclaren put themselves on the back foot almost immediately
With noting that Lando did not look comfortable today whereas Oscar appeared to have more pace.

I also think we looked good in the wet once we belatedly changed.
Last edited by mwillems on 27 Aug 2023, 18:30, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

I have previously criticized the team for similar conservative decisions, where you have to quickly make a decision to call the car into the pits for rain tires. I don’t understand why Red Bull is almost always right in taking such risks, and McLaren, being not afraid of losing a victory (because the car does not yet allow him to fight for this victory), on the contrary, does not use all the opportunities where the risk can pay off. :(

CjC
CjC

LionsHeart wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 18:13
CjC wrote:
LionsHeart wrote:
Maybe you are right. Yes, it's quite possible. Perhaps in clean air McLaren would be faster. But the car still did not allow to sharply attack the opponents in front. Tsunoda resisted easily. And only on fresher tires Lando and Lewis managed to overtake Yuki.

The team should solve this problem by next year. In any case, I think Red Bull and Aston were faster. Where would Lando and Oscar have been had they been invited to the pit much sooner?
Alonso pitted for inters on lap 2, Norris was 1.2 behind. Norris then pitted on lap 3 when he comes out of the pits he’s lost 24.4 seconds to Alonso in one lap. One lap.
When they red flagged the race for Zhou Lando is 17.7 seconds behind Alonso, minus the 24.4 seconds lost for pitting late for inters puts him theoretically 6.7 seconds ahead of Alonso when the red flag falls.

I hope this sort of low tech analysis will happen at Mclaren as I’ve managed to do it with my IPad, F1 subscription, a TV and my Sky Sport subscription. Maybe the super computers are too smart and don’t factor common sense into the equations?
Just a fan's point of view

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

CjC wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 18:39
LionsHeart wrote:
CjC wrote:

Alonso pitted for inters on lap 2, Norris was 1.2 behind. Norris then pitted on lap 3 when he comes out of the pits he’s lost 24.4 seconds to Alonso in one lap. One lap.
When they red flagged the race for Zhou Lando is 17.7 seconds behind Alonso, minus the 24.4 seconds lost for pitting late for inters puts him theoretically 6.7 seconds ahead of Alonso when the red flag falls.

I hope this sort of low tech analysis will happen at Mclaren as I’ve managed to do it with my IPad, F1 subscription, a TV and my Sky Sport subscription. Maybe the super computers are too smart and don’t factor common sense into the equations?
I fully support you!

organic

CjC wrote:
LionsHeart wrote:
CjC wrote:

You missed Alonso's 15 second pitstop? :P

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

organic wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 18:44
CjC wrote:
LionsHeart wrote:

It was already much later.

CjC
CjC

organic wrote:
CjC wrote:
LionsHeart wrote:

I did but even so it still would have put Lando ahead by the red flag wouldnt it?

organic

CjC wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 18:47
organic wrote:
CjC wrote:

I did but even so it still would have put Lando ahead by the red flag wouldnt it?
hard to say but sounds like it would've been very close between the two with the pitstop deltas taken into consideration. The pace was closer between mcl and amr than I thought thanks for the analysis

CjC
CjC

organic wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 18:52
CjC wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 18:47
organic wrote:

hard to say but sounds like it would've been very close between the two with the pitstop deltas taken into consideration. The pace was closer between mcl and amr than I thought thanks for the analysis
My analysis could be wrong as I’m naturally biased towards Mclaren but I think on thing for sure we can agree on we have been robbed of the fight between Mclaren, Mercedes and Alonso for the podium.

Anyway it’s Monza next week😎

Darth-Piekus

I want to see what are they gonna bring to create top speed.