McLaren MCL60

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
organic

Re: McLaren MCL60

mclaren111

Is this section bending parralel to the ground ?

Farnborough
Farnborough

It looks like it "waves" along it's length, thats if you also view the opposite side strake at that point.

Agree it initially appears as if there's horizontal tab there, but shadow is giving 3D confusion in view in my opinion.

As noted, looking at the opposite strake to give modelling to the flat view, it does appear to wave along it's length to "kick" some volume change into the channels there.

Interesting that they've got a floor edge cutaway to that innermost strake that would seem to bleed more air into the main volume channel going ultimately to the diffuser rather than out the side exit. This looks to be part of their new floor strategy, maybe in letting more air through there at peak speed it starts to cap the accumulation curve of downforce generated by the floor to better taylor its response and not lead into porpoising by going stratospheric with it's characteristic.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mclaren111 wrote:
28 Aug 2023, 13:15

https://i.ibb.co/sCxK8XL/gfop2mG.jpg
Nope. If you look at the message above yours, you can clearly see that it is perpendicular to the roadway.

BlueCheetah66
BlueCheetah66

mclaren111 wrote:
28 Aug 2023, 13:15

https://i.ibb.co/sCxK8XL/gfop2mG.jpg
Unless the angle is deceiving me, that curled section is the second shedding edge of the strake. You can see on the other side the shape of the strake and I assume the curvature is just the tip of that edge, similar to a footplate shape. It probably isn't parallel to the ground due to legality but curved close to a flat plate It is likely done to control where along the stake the main vortex is shed.

f1rules
f1rules

combined two recent pictures, seem with the cutout mclaren is feeding a lot of air into the "shaped tunnel"

so they seem to "steal" a bit of the flow by placing the fence so far center but by making that cutout they claw it back with what is probably nice clean flow, the yellow shows if it was without the cut

CjC
CjC

MrGapes wrote:
31 Aug 2023, 10:17
https://ibb.co/w4fFmJB Monza wings
Tea tray with the old spec connection to the end plate
Just a fan's point of view

mwillems

CjC wrote:
31 Aug 2023, 10:30
MrGapes wrote:
31 Aug 2023, 10:17
https://ibb.co/w4fFmJB Monza wings
Tea tray with the old spec connection to the end plate
It'll do the job. A bit primitive but is at least lower downforce, I'm happy with that! Now we need to see what it is like on track...
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Two variants

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:
31 Aug 2023, 11:05
Two variants
The first wing is more medium downforce with all the development that will bring the Aero efficiency, whereas the second new wing is something very basic they have put together quickly with little time to develop the efficiency. It will be interesting to see which runs in the end.

-Bandit

CjC
CjC

Surely the one on Norris’ is for a laugh?

mwillems

CjC wrote:
31 Aug 2023, 12:08
I have a feeling the Low DF wing is something that might have been created pre testing or some basic version that had some analysis already but may not work with this latest package. Basically something already in the drawer that they could use, but not sure how effective it will be in this latest package with the Diffuser and current beam with it is trying to integrate with.

It seems like the floor and the sidepods change as one, and to a degree the Diffuser, beam Wing and RW come as package now too and need to work together correctly, simply bolting on a smaller wing isn't necessarily going to work.

Edit: It is an adaptation of last years wing which they are testing on this car.
Last edited by mwillems on 01 Sep 2023, 10:31, edited 1 time in total.

-Bandit

CjC
CjC

mwillems wrote:
31 Aug 2023, 13:38
CjC wrote:
31 Aug 2023, 12:08
I have a feeling the Low DF wing is something that might have been created pre testing or some basic version that had some analysis already but may not work with this latest package. Basically something already in the drawer that they could use, but not sure how effective it will be in this latest package with the Diffuser and current beam with it is trying to integrate with.

It seems like the floor and the sidepods change as one, and to a degree the Diffuser, beam Wing and RW come as package now too and need to work together correctly, simply bolting on a smaller wing isn't necessarily going to work.
Yea seems a fair assessment to me

mwillems

-Bandit

MrGapes

Double hori. beam wing planes as expected on higher df configuration.

More conventional hori/vert beam wing on lower df.