2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: 2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

The car they tried to build and the one they built are two different cars. To me that doesn't stem from having two different drivers feeding back different opinions. That just comes from a failure of correlation due to technical deficiencies.

If they had a well correlated car that's just slow because they tried to please both drivers, that's something else, but I'm not sure that applies here. The entire season has been reactive. It's a surprise to them that the high downforce package is not good.

Remember that their simulations say the car should be 1 second faster than it is.

scuderiabrandon

Like I've said before as to why I prefer Leclerc' style over Sainz'

Driving around at 90% not taking risks just to bring home points when 1, we aren't in a title race, anything less doesn't really matter lets be honest with ourselves for a second (the maximum this season will P3 WCC and P5-P6 WDC), 2, the results will consistently be underwhelming with no surprises as the podium tally between LEC and SAI shows us already, 3 the driver does not sharpen their skills for when the car is competitive again (hopefully) and lastly neither does the driver expose certain limitations of the vehicle which only occurs on the very limit of driving which of course is crucial for future developments.

I agree totally that this duo won't work long term due to the preferential differences they have in terms of car balance or Ferrari need start to cater to only one side of the garage. So far with the sample size we have, Ferrari have generally been more competitive when the car suits LEC more.

codetower

organic wrote:
28 Aug 2023, 21:30
In terms of development and the role of Ferrari drivers.. I believe the main issue is that Leclerc and Carlos do not have similar preferences in terms of what they want the car to do. It is no surprise. Leclerc wants the pointy car while Carlos does not

So the feedback is not going to be the same from both sides of the garage. RB have the same problem with max and Perez, but at Ferrari they try to value their drivers equally at this point in time so if they end up with a Leclerc that only works for Leclerc, sainz will call foul

Of course you can try to tread that fine line where the car is neutral and can go one direction or the other and move many things around on the setup.. but that requires a fine control over the dynamics of the vehicle and understanding of things like the tyres which Ferrari has already demonstrated a lack of over the past couple of years.. it makes it difficult to believe that they will be able to hit a specific target in terms of balance for next year's car but I'm open to being surprised

Additionally, there was a worrying trend last year that whenever the car was slower, the happier Carlos was with the car. So the productivity of his feedback concerns me
I've often wondered if this is their Achilles heel the last few years. They try to build a car that can suit different driving styles, and end up with a car that doesn't fully suit anyone. You look at RB now, the car clearly suits Verstappen, and seems to always have suited him. I mean, he's an outstanding driver, but Gasly, Perez, Albon are not so poor that they end up 4-5 tenths slower in the same car.

I think what Ferrari need to focus on is developing the car to suit one driving style, whether it's Charles or Carlos, but stick to one. Then find a driver to pair that matches that style, or find someone who is willing to take that #2 role. Seems so far that Fred has chosen Charles. Whether it's because they believe he's the faster driver, or simply because he's younger and they can get more years out of him, I think they are already moving towards one development path.

Schippke
Schippke

CaribouBread wrote:
28 Aug 2023, 13:57
Special team kit for Monza.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F4nRUl4WkAA ... name=large
That face of Charles speaks a thousand words. :|

Suits look amazing... would be nice if they added a bit of that to the car as well, with some gold pinstripes or maybe even painting the wheel covers gold too.

Eitherway, at least the drivers and car will look nice when finishing 5th and 8th... :oops:

Really just hoping that both drivers score decent points at home; I don't think the Podium is realistic...

TFSA

codetower wrote:The car is in complete disarray. The team is in disarray. Like organic, I am baffled how with rain falling during the formation lap, and more rain on the radar, the pit wall isn't at least preparing to bring a car in. Restart and a full lap and they are all still sitting around.
I'm gonna disagree here. The team was still in position with everything except the tires, so it's obvious given the lateness of the call (as he was entering the pit lane) that they were mostly ready.

The problem with the tires is that they can't know ahead in the pit which driver is gonna come in. If they had been ready with Charles tires, and then he stayed out but Carlos made the call to come into the pits, they would have a problem.

Or, similarly, if they had brought out Charles tires, but then Carlos also wants to pit - then his stop would have been even slower than Charles. Double stacks needs proper forewarning, and the pit crew can't just be ready on their own accord. They need to actually get the call to be allowed into the pit lane (Article 34.13 of the F1 Sporting Regulations: "Team personnel are only allowed in the pit lane immediately before they are required to work on a car and must withdraw as soon as the work is complete.").

So I'd say that the pit crew made the most of it. Any improvement could only come from Charles making the call earlier. The reason Perez had a proper stop was that he made the call to the team earlier.

deadhead

Schippke wrote:
29 Aug 2023, 01:27
CaribouBread wrote:

That face of Charles speaks a thousand words. :|
He does look a bit defeated there.. it has been rough 20 months or so

JordanMugen

KimiRai wrote:
28 Aug 2023, 14:38
Red Bull as well (replacing Perez you'd be up against Max in his own team).
What's wrong with that? That would be the best choice for both Leclerc and Red Bull IMO (unless Red Bull can get Piastri).

codetower wrote:
28 Aug 2023, 20:16
The car is in complete disarray. The team is in disarray.
The team fired Binotto and other senior technical figures. What else can be expected given that decision? :?:

IMO, this was a catastrophically poor decision by Ferrari.

organic wrote:
So the feedback is not going to be the same from both sides of the garage. RB have the same problem with max and Perez, but at Ferrari they try to value their drivers equally at this point in time so if they end up with a Leclerc that only works for Leclerc, sainz will call foul
Sainz needs to know his place as number two driver and the team needs to reduce the political leverage of Spanish sponsors.

F1NAC

JordanMugen wrote:
29 Aug 2023, 08:59
KimiRai wrote:
28 Aug 2023, 14:38
Red Bull as well (replacing Perez you'd be up against Max in his own team).
What's wrong with that? That would be the best choice for both Leclerc and Red Bull IMO (unless Red Bull can get Piastri).

codetower wrote:
28 Aug 2023, 20:16
The car is in complete disarray. The team is in disarray.
The team fired Binotto and other senior technical figures. What else can be expected given that decision? :?:

IMO, this was a catastrophically poor decision by Ferrari.

organic wrote:
Sainz needs to know his place as number two driver and the team needs to reduce the political leverage of Spanish sponsors.
THe car was a mess before senior figures got fired or left.

Vanja #66

F1NAC wrote:
29 Aug 2023, 10:29
THe car was a mess before senior figures got fired or left.
On top of that, it was announced as a championship contender by that same personnel based on simulation results even last year. Wondering if Binotto would have stayed after this year in any case with this fiasco, if he accepted the offer to take TD role and work alongside a new TP...
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

KimiRai
KimiRai

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-fe ... /10512754/

F1 | Ferrari on the swing: bad at Zandvoort, better at Monza?
The development of the SF-23 was stopped before the summer break: the innovations that we will see appearing on the red until Austin will mostly be experiments aimed at the 2024 single-seater which will represent a clean break with this project. After the disappointment of Zandvoort, let's get ready for a more competitive Ferrari at Monza, but the rest of the season will be a continuous ups and downs of emotions for a sclerotic and unpredictable single-seater.
Franco Nugnes

Ferrari goes on a roller coaster. There are tracks that adapt to the SF-23 where Charles Leclerc and Carlos Sainz can nurture some ambitions of lining up behind Red Bull and there are tracks, such as Zandvoort, where almost nothing works and the redhead has to play defensively, picking up the minimum wage to move the Constructors' championship standings.

It is now clear to everyone that Ferrari closed the doors of the development of the disappointing SF-23 at the beginning of the summer break because the financial and human resources were allocated to project 676, i.e. the 2024 car that will be born from a sheet white, without any relation to the current red.

New chassis and transmission for a change of philosophy that repudiates the tub on the belly to move towards the winning concepts of Red Bull. In reality it will count to have a narrow body at the base by placing the lower anti-intrusion cone in a position that frees up aerodynamics, rather than having sloping sides.

The technical office is projected towards next year, so the changes that we will see appearing up to Austin will be mostly experiments aimed at defining the red 2024, rather than aimed at improving the current single-seater. This is the bitter truth that emerges from the Dutch away match, where the Scuderia had to take a… bath of humility. Carlos Sainz's fifth place somewhat masked the deficiencies of the SF-23, bringing it back to fourth strength, after a qualifying in which the car from Maranello had plummeted to sixth place (in front were Red Bull, McLaren, Mercedes, Aston Martin and Williams).

On Friday in free practice, aerodynamic comparison experiments were carried out with Robert Shwartzman in place of Sainz in FP1. The need was to find out with the young Russian with an Israeli passport whether the real SF-23 was similar in its reactions to the one the third pilot normally drives in the simulator. Data was collected and correlations were made between a fully loaded rear wing (needed at Zandvoort) and a medium loaded one.

Rather than preparing for the Dutch GP, Ferrari seemed to be engaged in a test: it transformed FP1 into a testing session because private tests are prohibited by the regulations. Madness: considering that there is a budget cap, the teams should be left free to ride on the track, perhaps renouncing some development. And maybe it would prevent a rookie like Liam Lawson from having to make his F1 debut with zero kilometers travelled…

The beauty is that at the end of the comparisons, the medium-downforce wing was chosen for Zandvoort with a choice in sharp contrast with the rest of the grid. Result: the Ferrari was clearly the fastest in the single straight, but was undriveable in the rest of the track because the drivers didn't have enough downforce. A contradiction of terms, difficult to explain: there is no vertical thrust, but the wing with the least resistance is chosen. Why?

The answer is relatively simple: the loaded rear wing only generates drag, while the rear end does not produce the necessary downforce. Not only that, but the single-seater becomes difficult to balance because the front is already in a configuration with the flaps at maximum incidence and you can't go any further. The performance speaks for itself: the loaded Ferrari is slower. Better to choose the medium wing and unload the front a little to find a balance that is the least bad, but this means entrusting the drivers with a very difficult car to drive, with sudden changes in behavior from oversteer to understeer.

The repeated long runs of the reds at turn 1 are understandable as evidence of a very critical car in braking. In short, the Hungarian lesson (where Ferrari had gone to aim for pole!) had taught us nothing, given that the problems were very similar. And let us prepare, therefore, for another crisis announced in Singapore. But is it possible that Ferrari arrives at the end of August without having an adequate wing for highly loaded tracks?

It shouldn't be surprising if Leclerc slammed the SF-23 in qualifying trying to go beyond the limit of the car. The simulations of the Cavallino say that if the Monegasque had closed the lap, he would have entered the second row, covering the flaws of a car that is a bin with his talent.

But both Fred Vasseur and Enrico Cardile should take a ride on the SF-23 (perhaps in the simulator) to realize that an unmanageable and unpredictable car can cause an accident that forced the replacement of the chassis and gearbox on Charles's car. The Prince, even if he covered up his nervousness in his words, has lost faith in the machine and relies only on talent to make a difference.

If Saturday's briefing isn't the result of his responsibility, the same cannot be said for Sunday's hit with Oscar Piastri: he broke his front wing and a piece of the side bulkhead got stuck in the floor, causing damage that cost 60 efficiency points. Hugeness: Sainz reached 331.4 km/h at the speed trap, while Leclerc did not go beyond 316.2 km/h. Withdrawal is inevitable. But if Ferrari wants to challenge Mercedes to be second at the end of the season, it must regularly bring two drivers to the points. Otherwise it's better to change symphony...

Carlos is skilled in controlling risks and maximizing his performance at the limit of the car, while Leclerc is not satisfied and makes more mistakes. The result is that the Spaniard is once again ahead of the first undeclared guide. All of this generates tension. It is inevitable.

Luckily he turns the page going immediately to Monza. Given the premises, the Italian GP should offer us a more competitive Ferrari, perhaps capable of giving the Prancing Horse fans a few jolts. Each appointment on the calendar will have its own story. If Aston Martin and McLaren can aim for continuity of results, Ferrari is condemned to be in swings: the Temple of speed could play in the red's favor, Singapore not.

While Cardile in Maranello lays the foundations for the 2024 car, Ferrari will try to navigate one race after another on sight, with no hope of capitalizing on the work done for this sclerotic and unpredictable redhead. At Monza the car could also go fast, but the Cavallino fans shouldn't have too many illusions about the rest of the championship: the lean season will not have ended in Holland. Time will tell…

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Schippke wrote:
29 Aug 2023, 01:27
CaribouBread wrote:

Monza is low downforce package. They should be on the podium but it will be tight with Mercedes and Alonso.

Xyz22
Xyz22

Check the last Formula Passion article by Federico Albano. Very interesting because it highlights why the SF 23 is such a bad car.
I won't link it because it's in Italian (which means my post would be deleted).

organic

Xyz22 wrote:
29 Aug 2023, 14:30
Check the last Formula Passion article by Federico Albano. Very interesting because it highlights why the SF 23 is such a bad car.
Linking articles written in a language other than English is fine if you give a little context of what the article is about as far as ive been told, or offer some translations of critical sections

Xyz22
Xyz22

organic wrote:
29 Aug 2023, 14:54
Xyz22 wrote:
29 Aug 2023, 14:30
Linking articles written in a language other than English is fine if you give a little context of what the article is about as far as ive been told, or offer some translations of critical sections
I don't know how to quickly translate an article using Firefox so i'll avoid doing that : ) Anyway it's quite interesting.

Vanja #66

You can always link a translated article:

https://www-formulapassion-it.translate ... r_pto=wapp

Overall, it speaks of what we already know - the car seems to be lacking balance with high-load rear wing.

Still, I can't help but notice this wasn't the problem in Monaco. The car was ok-ish in general and would have been on a podium if Xavi did his job and warned Leclerc of Norris in the tunnel in Q3. It's a rear-limited track, but it's not like you can drive there without a front wing. The trouble comes with new sidepods and floor edge in Barcelona (a telling sign of troubles to come with the use of mid-high DF wing instead of pure high DF as seen in Monaco). Since then, both the floor and the front wing philosophy were changed, so why did the problem persist?

I believe it may have to do with front wing, front suspension and sidepod intake aerodynamic interaction, forcing Ferrari to beat around the bush with front wing changes, but ultimately unable to change the whole wing philosophy sufficiently. However, there is a chance they made a mistake with Austria floor redesign and the operational limit of the floor CoP is now simply slightly too far back...

The car is generally very good in most of the recent tracks, there are no balance issues and it behaves well on medium and lower downforce tracks. This points to previously reported problems with rear end instability (likely connected to rear tyre squirt messing with diffuser performance) under control, so these issues with balance are related to "pure" aerodynamic balance issues. Truth be told, for a car that was changed so much this year, it's not a strange thing to experience design limitations that lead to such compromises.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie