2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

SmallSoldier wrote:
01 Sep 2023, 04:53
mwillems wrote:
01 Sep 2023, 00:09
LionsHeart wrote:
31 Aug 2023, 23:23

Well, I don't argue with that. I just simply noted that for myself I do not share these concepts. For me, development is a process from start to finish (until the final receipt of the product in physical format). :D
When you hear Stella discussing these things, development is everything in the process up to sign off, which is to say it has been signed off/released to be manufactured. Manufacturing will continue for various reasons after development. The new floor and Sidepods are not ready for instance, new parts will be required to fix damage or wear and tear.

The manufacturing team will be slowing down after the final update up until the new prototype design for the 24 car is ready to be produced for initial tunnel testing later in the year. Well, probably in a couple of months.
And the team will delay that until the last possible second, every new iteration brings gains and there is no point in building something as long as you are still finding gains… It has always been this way, but it is extremely important now that you have a budget cap to adhere to, efficiency is the name of the game at this stage of the current regulations.
Delay which? Sidepod and floor are signed off already and the 24 chassis has deadlines due to crash testing which will be completed this year.

On that note, it'll be great to see how the new composites facility aids developing the car for testing and bringing any new parts and wether we get more capability to develop from testing to the races.

Unless you mean the replacement parts. These will be held of unless needed but fortunately the cost doesn't hit the budget cap unless they are used or go to a race IIRC so there is flexibility.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

organic

Is there anywhere that states sidepod and floor upgrades are signed off / confirmed to be coming?

mwillems

organic wrote:
01 Sep 2023, 09:35
Is there anywhere that states sidepod and floor upgrades are signed off / confirmed to be coming?
It was a Stella interview pre summer break, I did post it but will try and find again.

It is the next major upgrade, or at lest the core of it.

-Bandit

mwillems

Relating to using parts from 24 car on 23 car, it won't happen because they are "interlinked and tangled"

https://www.planetf1.com/news/initial-m ... nd-tunnel/

-Bandit

mwillems

organic wrote:
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/mclar ... /10502878/

Here he says a few more days before sign off.

But we know he has said that dev work on the 60 is complete .

-Bandit

Tomsky
Tomsky

organic wrote:

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Mika thinks we'll be fine in Monza. Mika predicted the resurgence, maybe he knows things this time as well.

mwillems

Tomsky wrote:
01 Sep 2023, 10:20
organic wrote:
That rate of development is insane, but since a lot of the build is automated in composite machines, are they able to kick them off during the shutdown and leave them running??

-Bandit

mwillems

The beam wings have appeared in the Car thread. There is more wing and a greater AoA on the Lower DF setup which is also a simple design, compared the the higher Downforce setup in which the AoA decreases as the wing extends outwards. Similar AoA at the inner part of the beam wings.

-Bandit

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

FittingMechanics wrote:
01 Sep 2023, 10:23

Mika thinks we'll be fine in Monza. Mika predicted the resurgence, maybe he knows things this time as well.
Mystic Mika has proved to be a good source. Hopefully he's right.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

MCLvamos wrote:
01 Sep 2023, 11:34
Mystic Mika has proved to be a good source. Hopefully he's right.
Strange that he said McLaren has good straight line speed. Seeing it is a paid article, maybe it was not fully written by him?

Wouter

Lando talking during the PC about the padel match between him, Albon, Russell and Max on Wednesday.

Image...Image

Image...Image
The Power of Dreams!

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Feels like a season opener, lot of intrigue on straight line performance with new wing
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

bauc

Ground Effect wrote:
01 Sep 2023, 13:42
Feels like a season opener, lot of intrigue on straight line performance with new wing
Yes, we will see how it goes and for which option they will opt for.

I remember one year, Hamilton choose the low DF setup and he was quicker in QUALY, where Button went with the more DF set up and was way faster in the race + better overall tire management.

Its always difficult here to make the cut.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

CjC
CjC

bauc wrote:
01 Sep 2023, 13:49
Ground Effect wrote:
01 Sep 2023, 13:42
Yes, we will see how it goes and for which option they will opt for.

I remember one year, Hamilton choose the low DF setup and he was quicker in QUALY, where Button went with the more DF set up and was way faster in the race + better overall tire management.

Its always difficult here to make the cut.
Are you referring to the F-Duct season?
If so, it’s the other way round. Button was on pole with the high DF rear wing and finished second behind Alonsos Ferrari with a low DF rear wing
Just a fan's point of view