2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
MCLvamos
MCLvamos

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

organic wrote:
01 Sep 2023, 14:26
MCLvamos wrote:
01 Sep 2023, 14:25

If this is the case, perhaps they have put the higher DF wing in preparation for a possible engine penalty so setting up for the race?
I don't think they'll need to take any engine penalties. The allocation is now 4 ice, 4mguk etc rather than 3 so most teams won't take engine penalties this season
Did not know this, thanks for the info!

mwillems

MCLvamos wrote:
01 Sep 2023, 14:28
organic wrote:
01 Sep 2023, 14:20
Race pace looks good, but checo is towing lando for this stint
On second look, is it? All the other top 5 teams seem to be lapping faster using harder compound tyres, from the information I have.
Everyone is on different plans. The times between teams is meaningless at this point particularly for single lap pace and still for race pace. FP2 will give us a small amount of clarity but you don't really get a good picture until FP3. Several times the Red Bulls have been down the order in FP1, but as we all know, they are not slow!

That said, I guess Monza must be an easier track to set up for.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Tomsky
Tomsky

organic wrote:
01 Sep 2023, 14:26
MCLvamos wrote:
01 Sep 2023, 14:25

If this is the case, perhaps they have put the higher DF wing in preparation for a possible engine penalty so setting up for the race?
I don't think they'll need to take any engine penalties. The allocation is now 4 ice, 4mguk etc rather than 3 so most teams won't take engine penalties this season
Lando has been using the 4 ice for a long time. He will definitely need a 5 ice.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

CjC wrote:
01 Sep 2023, 13:59
bauc wrote:
01 Sep 2023, 13:49
Ground Effect wrote:
01 Sep 2023, 13:42
Feels like a season opener, lot of intrigue on straight line performance with new wing
Yes, we will see how it goes and for which option they will opt for.

I remember one year, Hamilton choose the low DF setup and he was quicker in QUALY, where Button went with the more DF set up and was way faster in the race + better overall tire management.

Its always difficult here to make the cut.
Are you referring to the F-Duct season?
If so, it’s the other way round. Button was on pole with the high DF rear wing and finished second behind Alonsos Ferrari with a low DF rear wing
Fernando was on pole, Button P2, but got the better start, so lead the race. Commentators thought Button would be a "sitting duck" on the straights with the huge rear wing, but Fernando couldn't get past, until he overcut, by staying put a lap or so longer.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

MrGapes

MCLvamos wrote:
01 Sep 2023, 14:28
organic wrote:
01 Sep 2023, 14:20
Race pace looks good, but checo is towing lando for this stint
On second look, is it? All the other top 5 teams seem to be lapping faster using harder compound tyres, from the information I have.
The times I saw were quite similar between the top teams?? also Lando's time were offset by 3-5 lap older softs, which were overheating after the first 1-2 laps..soo thermal deg. was quite high, I think those times were quite respectable (also fuel loads etc.. etc.)

MTudor
MTudor

When are people gonna learn that on fridays Mclaren start slow and as the weekend goes on the built on.
That said here we might struggle!
I just saw Senna's lap from 91 in italian and the commentator said that he went slow in the Parabolica before the start of his flying lap to not over heat the tyres.
Maybe the same could they do here?

Tomsky
Tomsky

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

Tomsky wrote:
01 Sep 2023, 15:10
uh oh. Spa flashbacks. This is Norris' car so they may opt to run Piastri's one which is more competitive on the straights
Last edited by MCLvamos on 01 Sep 2023, 15:16, edited 1 time in total.

Macklaren
Macklaren

Tomsky wrote:
01 Sep 2023, 15:10
EEEK that's scary. hope its just a run plan thing and FP2 looks different

organic

Glanced at the telemetry and it doesn't look like they're massively down on engine power or anything. Could be a rough weekend

mwillems

Hate to break it to everyone, but Piastri is just 4kmh faster on the straight with the Low DF wing at the start of his fastest lap, which was lap 4 for Oscar and Lap 6 for Lando, both on Softs.

If they are running similar setups, fuel etc... then they will use the higher DF wing. The Lower DF wing doesn't look like it works too well on this car, but more data is needed to really understand that, not a single lap comparison.

-Bandit

mwillems

-Bandit

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
01 Sep 2023, 15:22
Hate to break it to everyone, but Piastri is just 4kmh faster on the straight with the Low DF wing at the start of his fastest lap, which was lap 4 for Oscar and Lap 6 for Lando, both on Softs.

If they are running similar setups, fuel etc... then they will use the higher DF wing. The Lower DF wing doesn't look like it works too well on this car, but more data is needed to really understand that, not a single lap comparison.
Well, not just because Stella said that their rear wing with low downforce is not effective. On braking, there is less stability, at the entrance to the turn, too. But this is not based on telemetry, but simply observation over the past 10-12 years.

Let's see which rear wing both drivers will choose for the second practice. I also noticed that in the first practice at some point in time Lando rode with the front wing without trimming, I was surprised to see this.

billamend
billamend

I don't understand where the expectations were coming from. It has been very obvious that McLaren would struggle here.

bauc

CjC wrote:
01 Sep 2023, 13:59
bauc wrote:
01 Sep 2023, 13:49
Ground Effect wrote:
01 Sep 2023, 13:42
Feels like a season opener, lot of intrigue on straight line performance with new wing
Yes, we will see how it goes and for which option they will opt for.

I remember one year, Hamilton choose the low DF setup and he was quicker in QUALY, where Button went with the more DF set up and was way faster in the race + better overall tire management.

Its always difficult here to make the cut.
Are you referring to the F-Duct season?
If so, it’s the other way round. Button was on pole with the high DF rear wing and finished second behind Alonsos Ferrari with a low DF rear wing
I think it was 2010 but it was too long ago, I might be wrong.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg