2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
diffuser

Re: 2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

issey wrote:
02 Sep 2023, 22:12
KimiRai wrote:
02 Sep 2023, 21:29
Alonso says weaknesses haven't improved yet. I thought zandvoort data was partly encouraging but Monza shows lots of work to do still

I think he means like the weaknesses are still the same but they still have a little improved hes also talking about drag and they lost a little but its still there
At Monza qualifying, like Silverstone, their weakness has been high-speed corners. They loose too much time in turns 6,7 and 11. It isn't draggy as before.

Now what I see on the screen is, Alonso trying to rub off more speed in the middle of the corner, then accelerate harder on the way out. I think he's trying to use the back grip to come out of the corners with more speed....so I'm guessing, if he doesn't do that, he'll end up with understeer in those high speed corners.

jofs89
jofs89

Interesting that AMR got less competitive the softer the tyre got. They were much more competitive on the hards. Why would that be? Can't heat up the softer tyres sufficiently?

Astro85
Astro85

Lance started much better this season despite having an injury, his performances after have been horrendous. I'm sorry but he doesn't deserve a seat in the team.

issey
issey

jofs89 wrote:
03 Sep 2023, 09:32
Interesting that AMR got less competitive the softer the tyre got. They were much more competitive on the hards. Why would that be? Can't heat up the softer tyres sufficiently?
I think it’s more like the opposite the softer the tyre got the more it overheated, Alonso’s engineer told him multiple times that the tyres are too hot, I think the hard was in it’s perfect window but the softer the tyre got the more it overheated.

peewon

issey wrote:
03 Sep 2023, 11:42
jofs89 wrote:
03 Sep 2023, 09:32
I think it’s more like the opposite the softer the tyre got the more it overheated, Alonso’s engineer told him multiple times that the tyres are too hot, I think the hard was in it’s perfect window but the softer the tyre got the more it overheated.
This makes sense because if you lack downforce in high speed corners, your tyres will slide around more and generate heat. This doesn't bode well for the race. However, I did se them set their best times on the second flying lap multiple times so it's a bit confusing.

Jambier

The team needs to improve constitency, I know some tracks are better than other for the cars but I think Aston is worst than RB/ McLaren or Mercedes, maybe even worst than Ferrari in that domain

KimiRai
KimiRai

Jambier wrote:
03 Sep 2023, 16:15
The team needs to improve constitency, I know some tracks are better than other for the cars but I think Aston is worst than RB/ McLaren or Mercedes, maybe even worst than Ferrari in that domain
Ferrari has wilder performance swings since the start of the season. Aston only since June due to reasons we already know, but you are right, everyone behind RB has a lot of work to do.

Also, does anyone know why they ran the old engine cover this weekend?

F1doc
F1doc

Jambier wrote:
The lack of consistency is down to AM being a one car team. The team need to get both cars performing to a similar standard. Alonso has carried AM by scoring at all weekends. The other driver has simply not delivered, and that is why they aren't higher up in the constructors table.

CjC
CjC

F1doc wrote:
03 Sep 2023, 18:04
Jambier wrote:
The lack of consistency is down to AM being a one car team. The team need to get both cars performing to a similar standard. Alonso has carried AM by scoring at all weekends. The other driver has simply not delivered, and that is why they aren't higher up in the constructors table.
The same reason why Alonso can score every race weekend for Aston is the same reason why Stroll is in the Aston
Just a fan's point of view

KimiRai
KimiRai

organic wrote:
03 Sep 2023, 18:12
I guess if it comes back only for Vegas it is a low drag thing rather than the engine cover that they tried in Zandvoort needed modification etc

KimiRai
KimiRai

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Imagine saying Monza is the most physical race of the year. There's something very wrong with this car still.

organic

Yeah very odd. Don't understand

issey
issey

AR3-GP wrote:
03 Sep 2023, 20:55
Imagine saying Monza is the most physical race of the year. There's something very wrong with this car still.
Watch this video, he almost lost the car every lap in turn 6-7 because of no grip, painful to watch. No wonder it was the most physical race

peewon

AR3-GP wrote:
03 Sep 2023, 20:55
I think it was very hot and Monza has a few long high speed corners like the lesmos and parabolica where youre pulling a lot of Gs. Those are the most physically demanding corners further exasperated by the weather. Plus, everything feels more tiring and taxing when you're not doing well.