2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Ben1980
Ben1980

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

I do t think we need to be thinking of finishing higher than 5th. Which isn't bad based on the start! Tge team always said aiming to be better by season end, so I don't think finishing position is that important this year. Just want to see them improving until the end.

Darth-Piekus

mwillems wrote:
03 Sep 2023, 20:06
Darth-Piekus wrote:
03 Sep 2023, 18:22
They used to race much harder than today and a mistake usually costed your life. You should never destroy someone elses race under any circumstance.
They also had Mullets for hairstyles, ridiculously tight short shorts and shirts that were made out of old peoples curtains. I don't want those days back. I prefer safe and exciting racing and not to just keep b*tching and finiding silly reasons when something goes against my team.

Because without a doubt if it happens to Norris you'll be saying how harsh the stewards are, what a ridiculous penalty, other people get away with it etc... Honestly it's the last I want to say about it, give it a rest for a change and take it on the chin instead of adding constant whining.
Theres nothing wrong with those kind of clothing or hairstyles. I'm sure they would say the same thing for todays hairstyles or clothing. Safe and exciting racing that I can agree.

On another note I am praying the last big update is as good as the previous big one.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Ben1980 wrote:
03 Sep 2023, 19:44
I love Andrea and his little twitter updates after the race. He really does get it.

Confirmed upgrades for Singapore.
For anyone wondering.

I quite like the update. No drama - let's move forward.

Sevach
Sevach

Seerix wrote:
03 Sep 2023, 19:45
speaking of: https://www.racefans.net/2023/09/03/mcl ... ble-clash/

Stella explained the reasoning behind the team’s decision to bring Norris in first. “We pitted Lando before Oscar because Lando was the car that was most under pressure when Alonso pitted.
“It wasn’t clear as soon as Alonso would have cleared the AlphaTauri, how fast he would have been. So we wanted to make sure that we had two McLarens ahead of Alonso. So that’s why you go this kind of sequence.”

Lando came out 5s ahead of ALO after the pit.
That's 2 times(that i can recall) that Lando is the car behind and is given the undercut.

Dafnalina
Dafnalina

Sevach wrote:
03 Sep 2023, 22:33
Seerix wrote:
03 Sep 2023, 19:45
speaking of: https://www.racefans.net/2023/09/03/mcl ... ble-clash/

Stella explained the reasoning behind the team’s decision to bring Norris in first. “We pitted Lando before Oscar because Lando was the car that was most under pressure when Alonso pitted.
“It wasn’t clear as soon as Alonso would have cleared the AlphaTauri, how fast he would have been. So we wanted to make sure that we had two McLarens ahead of Alonso. So that’s why you go this kind of sequence.”

Lando came out 5s ahead of ALO after the pit.
That's 2 times(that i can recall) that Lando is the car behind and is given the undercut.
Silverstone Oscar got it despite being behind and would have been ahead but for the safety car iirc. I don't think McLaren is the RedBull some people are making it out to be.

Mostlyeels
Mostlyeels

Ben1980 wrote:
I love Andrea and his little twitter updates after the race. He really does get it.

Stella? I'm not on Twitter, any chance someone could quote it?

elldizzle
elldizzle

Bit of a frutrating race, than damn williams strait line speed was just too much.
We were miles quicker everywhere else. Shame.
I beleive being stuck behind cost us a lot in terms of total race time. Had it not been for Albon we would have mixed it with the Mercedes.
Anyone else really lIke Stella?. I think hes doing a great job.

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

Mostlyeels wrote:
03 Sep 2023, 23:50
Ben1980 wrote:

Really does calm me right down after a stressful watch, truly the goat!

Mostlyeels
Mostlyeels

MCLvamos wrote:
04 Sep 2023, 00:16
Mostlyeels wrote:
03 Sep 2023, 23:50
Ben1980 wrote:

Really does calm me right down after a stressful watch, truly the goat!
Cheers for that. Funny, with all the other stuff going on during the race, I nearly forgot about Lando and Oscar making contact!

E: Hamilton apologises to Piastri for the contact https://www.racefans.net/2023/09/03/ham ... tlemen-do/

organic

Will they explain why they keep undercutting piastri with Norris

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

organic wrote:
04 Sep 2023, 01:08
They already did… Both times… Not that they have to explain to anyone but the drivers… And even if they are favoring Lando, what’s the problem with that… He is leading in the stats, is the “veteran” in the team and arguably the leader from a driver point of view.

organic

SmallSoldier wrote:
04 Sep 2023, 01:18
organic wrote:
They already did… Both times… Not that they have to explain to anyone but the drivers… And even if they are favoring Lando, what’s the problem with that… He is leading in the stats, is the “veteran” in the team and arguably the leader from a driver point of view.
Pretty much every team gives priority to their leading driver on track. The exception is RB and that's because max is a clear #1 on pace. Lando does not have a tenth on piastri for the last few races yet they still give him pitstop strategies as though piastri is tenths per lap off and holding up Norris.

I'm just surprised they haven't stopped doing that now that the pace difference is minimal

Mostlyeels
Mostlyeels

https://www.racefans.net/2023/09/03/mcl ... ble-clash/
McLaren will also consider whether the decision to pit Norris before Piastri had a bearing on the incident.

“If the contact is due to the fact that there was pressure because of the undercut and so on, then we have something to review. Because it means drivers put the team at risk because of affirming themselves, this is not acceptable.”

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

organic wrote:
04 Sep 2023, 01:24
SmallSoldier wrote:
04 Sep 2023, 01:18
organic wrote:
Pretty much every team gives priority to their leading driver on track. The exception is RB and that's because max is a clear #1 on pace. Lando does not have a tenth on piastri for the last few races yet they still give him pitstop strategies as though piastri is tenths per lap off and holding up Norris.

I'm just surprised they haven't stopped doing that now that the pace difference is minimal
I guess they are making the decisions they think are the best for the team, I understand the logic behind them if the goal is to have the team score the most amount of points of possible, therefore covering any threats from teams behind you.

If on the other hand, you are trying to imply that they are giving preference to Lando over Piastri, I would also understand and agree with that if it would be the case… Yes, they are not miles apart, but Lando is the leading driver and Piastri is in his rookie season, that doesn’t change regardless of how close they are in speed… Smart from Piastri to not make drama out of it and carry on, if his performance and results keep improving as he has done so far, he may end up been the lead driver at some point and enjoy those benefits… Although, I don’t think that was the case in the situations in which Lando ended up undercutting him.

Ben1980
Ben1980

The team are looking at what's best for the team. It makes no difference to them if the car behind undercuts the car ahead, as long as mclaren are still in those same positions. It does make an issue if the car behind is undercut by the car behind him.

As Stella says, it's about thinking for the team.

If the team decide its the best strategy call, it probably was.