McLaren MCL60

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
mclaren111

Re: McLaren MCL60

Old but Looks Good...

vorticism

Jake Grant
motorsport.com

Last edited by vorticism on 11 Sep 2023, 16:39, edited 1 time in total.
𓄀

Farnborough
Farnborough

Wow, what a picture.

Shows just how hard some of those components are working ! Just look at the amount of deflection on top wishbone rear suspension in comparison right to left sides. Anyone that thinks these cars have only about 15mm of travel (as sometimes stated) should look at this.

Notice also the left tyre and how much wear its showing with the outer edge significant in being less diameter than the inner shoulder. Its sitting in free air too, with no lateral distortion from loading.

Zynerji

Farnborough wrote:
10 Sep 2023, 21:53
Wow, what a picture.

Shows just how hard some of those components are working ! Just look at the amount of deflection on top wishbone rear suspension in comparison right to left sides. Anyone that thinks these cars have only about 15mm of travel (as sometimes stated) should look at this.

Notice also the left tyre and how much wear its showing with the outer edge significant in being less diameter than the inner shoulder. Its sitting in free air too, with no lateral distortion from loading.
👀
Looks like the top wishbones are flat, and that still image captured the lifted tyre mid-oscillation.

Mostlyeels
Mostlyeels

Beautiful photo. Reminds me of Rosberg 2015 (or 2016, can't remember).

Is that the wheel cover showing on the rear right? Is that normal, or actual tyre shifting/deformation?

Farnborough
Farnborough

Mostlyeels wrote:
11 Sep 2023, 05:09

Is that the wheel cover showing on the rear right? Is that normal, or actual tyre shifting/deformation?
Yes, tyre deformation and normal under lateral loads. See how close it gets to wing end plate on inner edge in comparison to unloaded tyre on other side.

Both the rim and looks like a little of the wheel cover appear visible.

Quite a dramatic photo, and agree its like one of Rosberg in opposite direction with the chassis compressed highly too. I "clipped" that Rosberg photo at the time as its so dramatic. Funny that we both remember in it the same fairly extreme levels of load.

Farnborough
Farnborough

Zynerji wrote:
11 Sep 2023, 01:58
Farnborough wrote:
Wow, what a picture.

👀
Looks like the top wishbones are flat, and that still image captured the lifted tyre mid-oscillation.
The top arms are nowhere near flat. The right clearly visible above beam wing with the left clearly below. Also you can see the amount of actuation on the push rods to springs being at very different angles too.

The photo shutter speed doesn't look fast enough to capture oscillation. Guessing at 1/500 to 1/1000 given the movement in the tread from rotation is not stopped, a good indication of absolute shutter pace.

The photographer is a little late with the shot to, in comparison with his focused point, as the prime focus is shown by the tarmac a metre or so behind where the car is on track.

Mostlyeels
Mostlyeels

Farnborough wrote:
11 Sep 2023, 07:51
Mostlyeels wrote:

Yes, tyre deformation and normal under lateral loads. See how close it gets to wing end plate on inner edge in comparison to unloaded tyre on other side.

Both the rim and looks like a little of the wheel cover appear visible.

Quite a dramatic photo, and agree its like one of Rosberg in opposite direction with the chassis compressed highly too. I "clipped" that Rosberg photo at the time as its so dramatic. Funny that we both remember in it the same fairly extreme levels of load.
Fascinating, so that is actually the rim? I thought that at first, but then thought "surely it can't be" and wrote "wheel cover" instead.

That Rosberg photo was a classic. It is etched into my mind. I think both that and this show the dynamism of the rear end perfectly.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Farnborough wrote:
Wow, what a picture.

It's interesting to look at the rear right tire and how it didn't come off the rim.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Mostlyeels wrote:

Yes, I also remembered this photo. It looks even more extreme there, since the car's rake was larger, and the rear tires could be deformed more. Well, there was more roll in fast turns.

michl420
michl420

LionsHeart wrote:
11 Sep 2023, 08:54
Mostlyeels wrote:

Yes, I also remembered this photo. It looks even more extreme there, since the car's rake was larger, and the rear tires could be deformed more. Well, there was more roll in fast turns.
There exist also a photo from a ferrari 2019, also in degner/suzuka, that is very extrem.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

michl420 wrote:
11 Sep 2023, 10:01
LionsHeart wrote:
11 Sep 2023, 08:54
Mostlyeels wrote:

There exist also a photo from a ferrari 2019, also in degner/suzuka, that is very extrem.
I don't remember this. Can you post it here?

Edit: Thank you for this shot! The side roll is impressive. And I can't send you a private message. :D
Last edited by LionsHeart on 11 Sep 2023, 18:05, edited 1 time in total.

vorticism

Jake Grant
motorsport.com

Mostlyeels wrote:
11 Sep 2023, 08:03
That Rosberg photo was a classic. It is etched into my mind. I think both that and this show the dynamism of the rear end perfectly.
Considering the speeds, acceleration values, the tire compliance, I can only imagine how alive these cars and prev gens must feel. Granted they're launching off the orange curb here, but even that illustrates how compliant the cars must be. The combination of tall sidewalls and the quickest direction changes in automobilia...

Farnborough wrote:
Another illustration of the contact patch here:
ttps://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewtopic.php ... 5#p1158305
𓄀

AMG.Tzan

New livery unveiled but…

Aren’t these new sidepods???? :wtf:

https://x.com/wearetherace/status/17018 ... IG-LEFG3Nw
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

mwillems

AMG.Tzan wrote: