2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Darth-Piekus

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Lets assume by the end of the year that the rule change shafted Red Bull hard and Mclaren literally nullified the difference from the top would you go for.

A) A car evolution that will continue the current car but not sure how much more potential you can unlock.
B) A completely new car with new philosophy that might exploit some loophole and make you do a Red Bull but also a possibility you screw up the design.

Emag
Emag

I think Suzuka suits this package way more than here to be honest.

And to be 0.2 away from pole here taking that in consideration gives me hope for pole at least in Suzuka.

But anyway, one race at a time. Lets see how race pace pans out tomorrow.

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
16 Sep 2023, 16:55
Interesting results. To be honest, I didn’t expect this from Red Bull, it was a big surprise. Lando's lap pace was very good. In general, I would say that the car is not bad, the main loss of time occurs in the second sector.

If it rains in the race tomorrow, the results will be unpredictable.

Edit: Perhaps the updated technical directive had a slight impact on the speed and greatly affected the balance of the Red Bull chassis. So far there is no other explanation. They dominated all the teams all season, but here they had a distinctly weak qualification. Lawson is riding for the first time in Singapore and has just started to roll into the junior bull team and immediately outpaced the senior team.
I want to add, the TD is not just about wings but the underfloor as well, so both Speed AND grip. It reinforces TD18 AND TD39 (The floor).

I'll then add that we cannot possibly draw conclusions today as to what the effect is. it may well be all setup, it may be a small amount due to the Flexing, or any permutation/ratio of those things. Or something else entirely.

You will not know for sure what that is today. We will get an inkling as the season goes on if some teams can no longer finish the weekend in their usual positions.

RB have been getting caught in qualy now for a little while (Thanks SS! lol) but their race pace is still magnificent. let's keep an eye on that for the next 3 races or so and see how the teams do. If there is a clear drop from this weekend onwards you could confidently hazard a guess.

Lionsheart this isn't directed to you but a general post.
Last edited by mwillems on 16 Sep 2023, 18:33, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

CjC
CjC

Emag wrote:
16 Sep 2023, 18:23
I think Suzuka suits this package way more than here to be honest.

And to be 0.2 away from pole here taking that in consideration gives me hope for pole at least in Suzuka.

But anyway, one race at a time. Lets see how race pace pans out tomorrow.
Let’s worry about winning tomorrow before we concern ourselves with pole next week =P~ =P~
Just a fan's point of view

mwillems

Darth-Piekus wrote:
16 Sep 2023, 17:29
Lets assume by the end of the year that the rule change shafted Red Bull hard and Mclaren literally nullified the difference from the top would you go for.

A) A car evolution that will continue the current car but not sure how much more potential you can unlock.
B) A completely new car with new philosophy that might exploit some loophole and make you do a Red Bull but also a possibility you screw up the design.
Has Google Bard been given an account here?

-Bandit

Darth-Piekus

I have no idea what you mean. I just made a hypothesis and simply ask the question how would you procceed if you were in their shoes.

Seerix
Seerix

mwillems wrote:
16 Sep 2023, 18:37
Darth-Piekus wrote:

Has Google Bard been given an account here?
It would certainly explain a lot.

trinidefender
trinidefender

CjC wrote:
16 Sep 2023, 15:42
trinidefender wrote:
16 Sep 2023, 15:30
ScottR267 wrote:
16 Sep 2023, 15:20
Gotta feel sorry for Piastri there, rub of the green however
In this case literally green.

Time for Stroll to leave the sport. His father talks as if he's still a rookie with a lot of talent left to show. Yes he's only 24 but this is his 7th season in the sport. He's not going to get much faster than he already is
Nah keep him in. He’s a pair of empty overalls, it means the Mclaren boys only have to race 17 other drivers :lol:
You mean the driver who crashed for no reason and probably stopped Piastri from getting out of Q1?
Last edited by trinidefender on 16 Sep 2023, 20:18, edited 1 time in total.

mwillems

trinidefender wrote:
16 Sep 2023, 19:58
CjC wrote:
16 Sep 2023, 15:42
trinidefender wrote:
16 Sep 2023, 15:30

In this case literally green.

Time for Stroll to leave the sport. His father talks as if he's still a rookie with a lot of talent left to show. Yes he's only 24 but this is his 7th season in the sport. He's not going to get much faster than he already is
Nah keep him in. He’s a pair of empty overalls, it means the Mclaren boys only have to race 17 other drivers :lol:
You mean the driver who crashed for no reason and probably stopped Piastri from getting out of Q3?
I didn't get to watch, what were Piastris next lap times like? His first was very competitive and less than 4 tenths from Lando, but I hear his second flying lap was not so good?

As for Stroll, he's a backmarker Pay driver in a decent team being made to look silly by a world class driver. Does he crash or cause that much trouble that we should be concerned?

If I was the team owner I'd drop him but he does no harm as far as I can see.

-Bandit

mwillems

I see Piatsri was 1 tenth quicker than the cut off when his lap was stopped and had he continued to gain time he would have made it at at least P15.

Shame, but that's how it is sometimes.

-Bandit

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
16 Sep 2023, 18:27
LionsHeart wrote:
16 Sep 2023, 16:55
Interesting results. To be honest, I didn’t expect this from Red Bull, it was a big surprise. Lando's lap pace was very good. In general, I would say that the car is not bad, the main loss of time occurs in the second sector.

If it rains in the race tomorrow, the results will be unpredictable.

Edit: Perhaps the updated technical directive had a slight impact on the speed and greatly affected the balance of the Red Bull chassis. So far there is no other explanation. They dominated all the teams all season, but here they had a distinctly weak qualification. Lawson is riding for the first time in Singapore and has just started to roll into the junior bull team and immediately outpaced the senior team.
I want to add, the TD is not just about wings but the underfloor as well, so both Speed AND grip. It reinforces TD18 AND TD39 (The floor).

I'll then add that we cannot possibly draw conclusions today as to what the effect is. it may well be all setup, it may be a small amount due to the Flexing, or any permutation/ratio of those things. Or something else entirely.

You will not know for sure what that is today. We will get an inkling as the season goes on if some teams can no longer finish the weekend in their usual positions.

RB have been getting caught in qualy now for a little while (Thanks SS! lol) but their race pace is still magnificent. let's keep an eye on that for the next 3 races or so and see how the teams do. If there is a clear drop from this weekend onwards you could confidently hazard a guess.

Lionsheart this isn't directed to you but a general post.
I'm not worried. I support your opinion on this matter. Yes, that’s true, it’s hard to say what exactly is the limiting factor for optimal balance, the flexibility of the wings or the flexibility of the bottom edge, or maybe a bumpy track plus high curbs. But there is now a precedent and it coincides with the updated provisions in the technical directive. I don’t claim the truth yet, I’m interested in how they will be able to go in the race.

_cerber1

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Darth-Piekus wrote:

I can answer this question very briefly, or I can write an entire dissertation. Which option would be better? I never want to hurt anyone here, offend anyone, etc., but from my point of view I can judge the following: the basic version of the chassis was extremely far from ideal. The direction in working with the car to eliminate weak points began in the winter; at the presentation, I remember very well Stella’s words that the car at the presentation was far from ideal and that they knew the weak points and that they knew how to eliminate the weak points in the aero package.

We saw the first work on the bottom in Baku, there were other minor updates earlier, but it doesn’t matter. The starting point will still be the weekend in Baku. Then the team presented the first sketches of a new direction of work, studied it well on the track and, based on this, developed a large package that was presented in Austria. And so he showed the capabilities of the machine. Next, consolidate the results of the work by bringing the second part of the update package.

I have repeatedly read Lando's words that the whole package has helped eliminate the downforce deficit, but the balance and handling remain essentially the same. The update package for Singapore should fix the problem in slow corners, I don't yet know how much the chassis balance has changed. If the updates here are only intended to add downforce, then by next year they will have to work significantly to improve handling, since this also affects tire wear and the driving approach that is comfortable for the driver.

The 2024 chassis needs to be designed to accommodate some modifications based on Rob Marshall's experience, as he needs to be very knowledgeable about suspension. Perhaps in 2024 more than half of the peloton will be very similar to the RB19. To what extent should McLaren redesign the car? I don't know. But I understand that the current direction of work is bearing fruit, and perhaps the resource and potential have not yet been exhausted.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Honestly...impressive. Getting into and out of slow corners is very intense and efficient. I think the new products worked well, I wish I could see the telemetry.

Macafangrskg
Macafangrskg

I think tomorrow we will definitely split strategies.Oscar he will go for the hard choice and Lando for the medium. They will probably play for the Sc at around 20 to 28 lap. If a safety card play sooner Lando will stay out so Piastri and hope for a second.