2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
diffuser

Re: 2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

diffuser wrote:
19 Sep 2023, 18:57
AR3-GP wrote:
19 Sep 2023, 18:51
diffuser wrote:
19 Sep 2023, 18:51

Suzuka is high DF. Monza was Low DF, which led to the issues there.

I still think all the issues at Singapore were likely all down to the damage. So we're really running away with the doom and gloom for nothing.
Suzuka is not high downforce. It's like Spa. A medium downforce circuit.

I'm not dooming and glooming. I have no feelings about an inanimate object :lol: . Objectively the car just looks horrible to drive and Stroll has not gotten out of Q1 in the last 2 rounds.
Sorry I meant higher DF.
BTW, Who's Stroll ? ;)

mvfad

Please someone clear my doubts: I know it's prohibited, but is there any (hidden) way to test things from the current regulations on old cars? Drugovich is testing the AMR21 in Hungary again. I know he paid for these tests, but the number of times he has been practicing with the AMR21 has increased considerably recently. :-k
edit: The Spanish press saying that Stroll will not race in Japan. That would explain Drugovich practicing in Hungary again (the other time he practiced in Hungary was the week of Monza), but the reserve scheduled for Suzuka is Vandoorne.

organic

In a now-deleted tweet Antonio Lobato writes that Lance will miss Suzuka as well due to the Singapore crash.
Lance Stroll will not race in the Japanese Grand Prix, as confirmed by Aston Martin. The aftermath of his severe accident on Saturday in Singapore has forced this decision to be made

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

Would be good to see Drugovich get a chance then - seems that winning F2 and being a reserve is no way to get a ride these days
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

NAPI10
NAPI10

CMSMJ1 wrote:
19 Sep 2023, 22:22
Would be good to see Drugovich get a chance then - seems that winning F2 and being a reserve is no way to get a ride these days
AM can use him to test new parts or collect data with a different car set-up during the race.

organic

CMSMJ1 wrote:
Drugovich was in his 3rd season in f2 against what was clearly a weak field. Not every f2 champion will be a good F1 driver

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

organic wrote:
19 Sep 2023, 22:48
CMSMJ1 wrote:
Drugovich was in his 3rd season in f2 against what was clearly a weak field. Not every f2 champion will be a good F1 driver
Agreed, but as a reserve he ought to get a chance!
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

organic

CMSMJ1 wrote:
19 Sep 2023, 22:52
organic wrote:
CMSMJ1 wrote:
Oh yea agreed 100%. Read that stoffel might get the chance over drugovich as he's got a fair bit of experience @ Suzuka (due to F1 & Super formula) whilst drugo hasn't raced there . Hope not though

diffuser

organic wrote:
19 Sep 2023, 22:53
CMSMJ1 wrote:
organic wrote:

Oh yea agreed 100%. Read that stoffel might get the chance over drugovich as he's got a fair bit of experience @ Suzuka (due to F1 & Super formula) whilst drugo hasn't raced there . Hope not though

not to mention that Stoffel is used to getting trounced by Alonso.

organic

diffuser wrote:
19 Sep 2023, 23:09
organic wrote:
19 Sep 2023, 22:53
CMSMJ1 wrote:

not to mention that Stoffel is used to getting trounced by Alonso.
:o :lol:

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Vettel would be interesting.

Zynerji

AR3-GP wrote:
19 Sep 2023, 23:21
Mick on loan from Merc?

Vettel/Alonso @ Suzuka would be epic tho...🤯

Did anyone ever explain why Seb wore plain overalls at Nurburgring? Even with the other ex-RBR drivers wearing RBR overalls? Still have AM ties?

KimiRai
KimiRai

Zynerji wrote:
20 Sep 2023, 01:28
AR3-GP wrote:
19 Sep 2023, 23:21
Mick on loan from Merc?

Vettel/Alonso @ Suzuka would be epic tho...🤯

Did anyone ever explain why Seb wore plain overalls at Nurburgring? Even with the other ex-RBR drivers wearing RBR overalls? Still have AM ties?
What Aston needs at the moment is to not dream about these things and secure P4 which is not a done deal.

If Lance is not ready for Suzuka then that's a shame, I thought he wasn't going to be too bad there. One of the weirdest things about this season from Stroll is that he was closer when he had pain & was recovering from his injuries which is completely counterintuitive. Only explanation I can find is that over the course of the season the car has gotten worse and trickier to drive and that could have increased the differences between the drivers.

I also find it amusing how true the "you are only as good as your last race" statement is. Fernando does one of the greatest races of his career in my opinion in Zandvoort and it was all smiles and fanfare from the pundits, then comes Singapore with a worse execution influenced by a damaged car and all of a sudden Fernando's too old according to DC (throwing stones in glass houses much) or Lance is masking Fernando's shortcomings or whatever. Not on this forum in particular thankfully. Similar thing has happened with Sainz for example, earlier this season some Ferrari fans were asking for him to be gone and now look at him beating Leclerc mostly on merit, probably those who asked for his replacement don't even remember they did. Too much short sightedness in F1.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

KimiRai wrote:
20 Sep 2023, 04:31

If Lance is not ready for Suzuka then that's a shame, I thought he wasn't going to be too bad there. One of the weirdest things about this season from Stroll is that he was closer when he had pain & was recovering from his injuries which is completely counterintuitive. Only explanation I can find is that over the course of the season the car has gotten worse and trickier to drive and that could have increased the differences between the drivers.
Yes, this is the problem in my estimation. Lance is only closer when the car is good. You can see very clearly that the car is not the one from Bahrain anymore.

You could see the same thing happening vs Perez. Lance was not competitive at all vs his teammate in 2019 but the 2019 car was very tricky and plagued with aero instability. Then 2020 came with the pink Merc and he was a lot closer to Perez but partially because he was getting the upgrades first...

KimiRai
KimiRai