2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

mwillems wrote:
20 Sep 2023, 16:34
An interesting Nugget, current betting odds have Norris third favourite to win the Japanese GP.

:D
Class from Alpine, fair play.... =D> :lol:
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

mwillems

Ground Effect wrote:
20 Sep 2023, 20:20
mwillems wrote:
20 Sep 2023, 16:34
An interesting Nugget, current betting odds have Norris third favourite to win the Japanese GP.

:D
Class from Alpine, fair play.... =D> :lol:
Yeah they owned that one, kudos to Alpine lol
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

CjC wrote:
20 Sep 2023, 19:21
Another write up on Mclarens latest changes

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/mclar ... /10522653/
From the car thread. I posed a thought a while back about how much time there was left in this car, given how much they'd extracted and the law of diminishing returns.

Turns out there's quite a lot to extract still 👍

Edit: Ooops he'd already posted it himself!
Last edited by mwillems on 20 Sep 2023, 20:43, edited 1 time in total.

-Bandit

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

CjC wrote:
20 Sep 2023, 19:27
According to Stella they haven’t even changed 50% of the MCL60 they want to….. and they still won’t be able to implement the full 100% of changes on the 2024 car !😬

I posted the same article in the car thread but I feel the chat will be more appropriate to this thread
For all his great contributions to the team, Seidl really undid all that by letting Key run amok, unchecked and without consequences.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

trinidefender
trinidefender

CjC wrote:
According to Stella they haven’t even changed 50% of the MCL60 they want to….. and they still won’t be able to implement the full 100% of changes on the 2024 car !😬

I posted the same article in the car thread but I feel the chat will be more appropriate to this thread
Do you mind posting the Motorsport article equivalent in the future? It's the same article by the same company just usually when it shows up on motorsport.com it isn't behind a paywall like all of autosport articles.

For everyone else this is the article he posted without a paywall
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mcla ... /10522627/

Macklaren
Macklaren

If the MCL 61/39 can indeed fulfill that undeveloped potential next year, there is no reason for Lando to look elsewhere. But now that Oscar is locked in, McLaren needs to line up a Plan B, in case Lando does jump. I know we discussed this a few pages ago but I wonder if Ugo Ugochukwu will be ready for 2026...he looks v promising

CjC
CjC

trinidefender wrote:
20 Sep 2023, 20:42
CjC wrote:

Do you mind posting the Motorsport article equivalent in the future? It's the same article by the same company just usually when it shows up on motorsport.com it isn't behind a paywall like all of autosport articles.

Are you on commission for motorsport.com🤣
I’m loving the paywall articles today though.😂
But yea I’ll see if it’s on motorsport.com before I post. I forget Autosport have that ‘20 reads a week thingy’
Just a fan's point of view

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
20 Sep 2023, 20:19
SmallSoldier wrote:
20 Sep 2023, 19:38
mwillems wrote:
20 Sep 2023, 13:50

Ahahaha!

It made total sense at this point that they would , I just expected it in the break!

Right now, f*ck him. Give him the worst equipment and make him always walk 1m behind lando with his head down like a b*tch.
But he was upset because they favored Lando! And ruthless!… Lol

Great job by the Team to secure him, one less thing to worry about in the short term and maintain focus on developing the car and sustain the upward trajectory!
Ahahahaha I knew when I wrote that you'd pop up! I never said they favoured Lando or he was Second driver. I said I don't wasn't to see their positions swapped against the normal pit stop routine any more (And that I didn't think it was a problem so far) because I want him to sign a contract and yes I think there is a risk he could be ruthless if not happy if it continues :D

But hey wants a detail or two round here! :lol:

Well they didn't swap him at Singapore and they gave him a contract this week, so clearly they listened.

Anyway, where's that white paper you owe me!
I’ve been swamped with meetings this week, haven’t had a chance to do much… But even though your argument has been very compelling (and probably right), I still want to look at it :)

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
20 Sep 2023, 21:25
mwillems wrote:
20 Sep 2023, 20:19
SmallSoldier wrote:
20 Sep 2023, 19:38

But he was upset because they favored Lando! And ruthless!… Lol

Great job by the Team to secure him, one less thing to worry about in the short term and maintain focus on developing the car and sustain the upward trajectory!
Ahahahaha I knew when I wrote that you'd pop up! I never said they favoured Lando or he was Second driver. I said I don't wasn't to see their positions swapped against the normal pit stop routine any more (And that I didn't think it was a problem so far) because I want him to sign a contract and yes I think there is a risk he could be ruthless if not happy if it continues :D

But hey wants a detail or two round here! :lol:

Well they didn't swap him at Singapore and they gave him a contract this week, so clearly they listened.

Anyway, where's that white paper you owe me!
I’ve been swamped with meetings this week, haven’t had a chance to do much… But even though your argument has been very compelling (and probably right), I still want to look at it :)
I don't need to be right, it's enough that the perspective is valid, I don't want to keep the success criteria too tight!! :D

-Bandit

Darth-Piekus

Is it normal that you need 2 full seasons to unlock every bit of potential and change everything on a car in 100 percent?

Macklaren
Macklaren

i think with major change in regulations, yes. These guys were working for years on blown diffusers and octopus exhausts...

organic

CjC wrote:

Looking at the full quote, I don't think that article title or interpretation is quite on the money...
“I think we have gained a good understanding of where the limitations in low speed are coming from,” he said. “They have to do with some mechanical aspects and some aerodynamic aspects.

“On the aerodynamic side, that package we have here has addressed a portion of these limitations but actually there's still quite a lot of work to do.

“I will say that from the car we had in Bahrain, with the improvement in Baku, then in Austria, and then here, we haven't even achieved the 50% of where we would like the aerodynamic behaviour to be to solve these sorts of issues.
I see it as the not being able to change 50% thing refers specifically to component changes that will help cure their low speed limitation, not things in general on the car

trinidefender
trinidefender

CjC wrote:
20 Sep 2023, 21:05
trinidefender wrote:
20 Sep 2023, 20:42
CjC wrote:

Are you on commission for motorsport.com🤣
I’m loving the paywall articles today though.😂
But yea I’ll see if it’s on motorsport.com before I post. I forget Autosport have that ‘20 reads a week thingy’
I'll take any money coming my way 😄😉 I wish though. Yea I don't bother checking autosport anymore because it's usually free on Motorsport.....weird marketing tactic if you ask me 😅

PikeStance

organic wrote:
21 Sep 2023, 03:13
CjC wrote:

Looking at the full quote, I don't think that article title or interpretation is quite on the money...
“I think we have gained a good understanding of where the limitations in low speed are coming from,” he said. “They have to do with some mechanical aspects and some aerodynamic aspects.

“On the aerodynamic side, that package we have here has addressed a portion of these limitations but actually there's still quite a lot of work to do.

“I will say that from the car we had in Bahrain, with the improvement in Baku, then in Austria, and then here, we haven't even achieved the 50% of where we would like the aerodynamic behaviour to be to solve these sorts of issues.
I see it as the not being able to change 50% thing refers specifically to component changes that will help cure their low speed limitation, not things in general on the car
This is my understanding as well.
<-Pike----
Expat American in Guangzhou
Native New Orleans

organic

The car has a lot of wing on it ahead of fp1. The same RW as Singapore and with a two element BW. Its a lot more than others