2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

mwillems wrote:
22 Sep 2023, 14:36
LionsHeart wrote:
22 Sep 2023, 12:37
I was a little surprised that Lando was even going faster on the first twisty sector compared to Oscar. Although I can admit that Oscar is still just adapting to the track. I like his gradual approach of increasing his speed from session to session. The guy is very smart and absorbs valuable information like a sponge. His mature approach is also impressive. Yes, Oscar will tighten up tomorrow, but here I would like to focus more on the rear wing. I assume the team will go for a medium downforce option. Yesterday, I was surprised to see a wing with more downforce. I wonder if more downforce helps in terms of rear stability and less tire wear, because here in Suzuka there is usually a limit on the front tires as in Silverstone.

Will the team leave Oscar with a loaded rear wing to gather even more information? Usually such things are checked in the first practice, then the rear wing is changed so that the driver can make a more accurate choice based on the feeling behind the wheel.

I'm most likely deluded and both drivers will get a Silverstone spec wing tomorrow. Comrades, has anyone seen the comparative top speeds between Lando and Oscar? With one drs opening zone, the issue of top speed may become even more acute. Yes, tomorrow in practice 3 it will be clear what the team will choose, but at least I would like to see comparative data.
My gut feeling is they will take the "Upper Medium" and not the Medium :D :D :D

I'd be surprised if they split the wings in Q but who knows. The track surface looks like it might have a say in the choice, if it really is that slippy you cannot lose too much time in the corners.
Ok, are you implying that they'll take the Singapore spec wing, sacrificing a bit of top speed on the straights? Unfortunately I don't have access to the telemetry, it would be interesting to see which parts of the track Oscar was faster than Lando. Most likely in the hairpin, that's for sure, but otherwise I don't know.

Before the start of the race weekend, I also assumed that we will see the rear wing from Silverstone here, but now with the tire wear, the temperature on the track, even some doubts are taken. I read Lando's interview, he said the pace is good, but the balance is a problem. Whether this is due to insufficient downforce on the rear wheels or whether it's something else altogether, again, I don't know. If we get more grip as the race weekend goes on, we can look forward to Silverstone Spec, right?

mwillems

Yeah but I'm just guessing. At the moment we have Pirelli saying everything is as expected and Russell speaking for "all the drivers" saying the surface is breaking down.

So I think that we are not totally informed about what is happening. My gut was that these tyres would be more durable than last year due to the construction and the extra grip from the floor, but the surface seems to be an unkown quantity for the armchair fans.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

MrGapes

what happened to pessimistic Lando?

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
22 Sep 2023, 14:48
Yeah but I'm just guessing. At the moment we have Pirelli saying everything is as expected and Russell speaking for "all the drivers" saying the surface is breaking down.

So I think that we are not totally informed about what is happening. My gut was that these tyres would be more durable than last year due to the construction and the extra grip from the floor, but the surface seems to be an unkown quantity for the armchair fans.
Mercedes has some lack of stability at the rear in fast corners. It's something they've been doing all year. But what I didn't expect was increased wear and tear on the Mercedes chassis, given that this is an area where they have no problems. Maybe not the optimum settings?

If the race will be with 2 pitstops, we can expect struggles including pitlane battles among mechanics. If there are 3 pitstops, then it will be a lot of fun.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Ground Effect wrote:
22 Sep 2023, 14:13
mwillems wrote:
22 Sep 2023, 14:05
Is there any development or budget restriction for the new engines that might be bypassed by joining 2 years later?

Just wondering if it really is bad to join 2 years later.
I agree that it is probably coincidental though but I'll also admit a pang of excitement the moment saw he was a Toyota driver.

Payback for the Tunnel I'm not sure about, it has cost us a fortune already. And I think if we needed an actual driver to step into a real race it won't be him. It's more of an honorary title. Where is his super license at? Do reserve drivers stepping in need one?

Edit: I had never heard of him before. He looks quite handy and has a super license from 2 world endurance championship wins.
He's got a super license, also runs Super Formula in Japan. Actually, not sure if he's still running, but has definitely run in recently times.
This guy might be a second option if there is a clash between F1 and IndyCar.

Dafnalina
Dafnalina

LionsHeart wrote:
22 Sep 2023, 14:46
mwillems wrote:
LionsHeart wrote:
22 Sep 2023, 12:37
I was a little surprised that Lando was even going faster on the first twisty sector compared to Oscar. Although I can admit that Oscar is still just adapting to the track. I like his gradual approach of increasing his speed from session to session. The guy is very smart and absorbs valuable information like a sponge. His mature approach is also impressive. Yes, Oscar will tighten up tomorrow, but here I would like to focus more on the rear wing. I assume the team will go for a medium downforce option. Yesterday, I was surprised to see a wing with more downforce. I wonder if more downforce helps in terms of rear stability and less tire wear, because here in Suzuka there is usually a limit on the front tires as in Silverstone.

Will the team leave Oscar with a loaded rear wing to gather even more information? Usually such things are checked in the first practice, then the rear wing is changed so that the driver can make a more accurate choice based on the feeling behind the wheel.

I'm most likely deluded and both drivers will get a Silverstone spec wing tomorrow. Comrades, has anyone seen the comparative top speeds between Lando and Oscar? With one drs opening zone, the issue of top speed may become even more acute. Yes, tomorrow in practice 3 it will be clear what the team will choose, but at least I would like to see comparative data.

I'd be surprised if they split the wings in Q but who knows. The track surface looks like it might have a say in the choice, if it really is that slippy you cannot lose too much time in the corners.
Ok, are you implying that they'll take the Singapore spec wing, sacrificing a bit of top speed on the straights? Unfortunately I don't have access to the telemetry, it would be interesting to see which parts of the track Oscar was faster than Lando. Most likely in the hairpin, that's for sure, but otherwise I don't know.

Before the start of the race weekend, I also assumed that we will see the rear wing from Silverstone here, but now with the tire wear, the temperature on the track, even some doubts are taken. I read Lando's interview, he said the pace is good, but the balance is a problem. Whether this is due to insufficient downforce on the rear wheels or whether it's something else altogether, again, I don't know. If we get more grip as the race weekend goes on, we can look forward to Silverstone Spec, right?

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Dafnalina wrote:
22 Sep 2023, 15:17
LionsHeart wrote:
22 Sep 2023, 14:46
mwillems wrote:

Thank you! Indeed, Oscar is faster through the hairpin. But the fact that he's also faster on the start/finish straight is a surprise. :D

McL-H
McL-H

Do you guys think we can fight for pole tomorrow? Or will track temperatures be too high for us?

mwillems

When I see those charts and someone is faster on the straight after the start finish and the other is faster on the entrance before the start finish, it makes it look like it is just an outlier better entrance from the previous lap from Oscar. In another perspective, assuming Norris continued doing a fast lap his next start finish straight would have been faster than Piastris. So I think Norris would on setup alone be faster than Piastri on the straight too.

But. Setup and approach would have a lot to do with it.

-Bandit

bauc

McL-H wrote:
22 Sep 2023, 15:41
Do you guys think we can fight for pole tomorrow? Or will track temperatures be too high for us?
This is a track that suites all of the RBR traits, unless we make the perfect lap or something goes wrong with RBR, we can fight for P2 at best.

But hey, that is not a bad place to start a race :)
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

trinidefender
trinidefender

mwillems wrote:
22 Sep 2023, 11:25
LionsHeart wrote:
22 Sep 2023, 11:17
MrGapes wrote:
22 Sep 2023, 10:49
https://ibb.co/TqfkhKH

- As I said deg. looked quite good, despite the heavy degradation on the softs for all drivers.
Thank you very much for such an array of data.

The race pace looks promising. Interestingly, here in Suzuka the asphalt is quite abrasive. How many pitstops are planned? 2 or 3? On race day, the weather forecast promises 28-29 degrees Celsius.
They've brought the C1, C2 and C3 tyres so shouldn't need three stops. Last year it was 1 or 2 stops with 2 stops being optimal. This year with the extra grip and these new tyres I'm not sure if teams won't try and get away with a 1 stop strategy.
I'm going to throw a guess and say a 2 stop. Especially with our soft tyre Deg being good enough.

Does anyone remember the combination of tyres teams ran last year?

mwillems

trinidefender wrote:
22 Sep 2023, 16:36
mwillems wrote:
22 Sep 2023, 11:25
LionsHeart wrote:
22 Sep 2023, 11:17

Thank you very much for such an array of data.

The race pace looks promising. Interestingly, here in Suzuka the asphalt is quite abrasive. How many pitstops are planned? 2 or 3? On race day, the weather forecast promises 28-29 degrees Celsius.
They've brought the C1, C2 and C3 tyres so shouldn't need three stops. Last year it was 1 or 2 stops with 2 stops being optimal. This year with the extra grip and these new tyres I'm not sure if teams won't try and get away with a 1 stop strategy.
I'm going to throw a guess and say a 2 stop. Especially with our soft tyre Deg being good enough.

Inter :mrgreen:

Apparently there's some problems with the track surface. Russel says it is bordering 3 stop, but then after FP2 Pirelli said its tight between 1 or 2, leaning to 2.
Last edited by mwillems on 22 Sep 2023, 16:40, edited 1 time in total.

-Bandit

search

trinidefender wrote:
22 Sep 2023, 16:36
Full Wets + Intermediate ;)

Dafnalina
Dafnalina

mwillems wrote:
22 Sep 2023, 15:44
When I see those charts and someone is faster on the straight after the start finish and the other is faster on the entrance before the start finish, it makes it look like it is just an outlier better entrance from the previous lap from Oscar. In another perspective, assuming Norris continued doing a fast lap his next start finish straight would have been faster than Piastris. So I think Norris would on setup alone be faster than Piastri on the straight too.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gpblog ... -prix.html

It seems Oscar has a new engine. Could that make a difference?

mwillems

Dafnalina wrote:
22 Sep 2023, 19:00
mwillems wrote:
22 Sep 2023, 15:44

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gpblog ... -prix.html

It seems Oscar has a new engine. Could that make a difference?
Could be. Or he might have been taking it easy, testing setups... I don't read too much into Friday Times. That advantage to Lando looks so dominant that it makes me suspect it isn't representative. But it may be.

-Bandit