2023 Qatar Grand Prix - Lusail, Oct 06 - 08

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: 2023 Qatar Grand Prix - Lusail, Oct 06 - 08

That is well played by Ferrari. Using the minimum laptime ruling to "defend" it. :lol:

Sevach
Sevach

AR3-GP wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 23:22
That is well played by Ferrari. Using the minimum laptime ruling to "defend" it. :lol:
That's indeed hillarious.
"We did this crap because of your rules", well played.

dialtone
dialtone

AR3-GP wrote:
One more reason to remove that rule. Rule has either caused or justified only a bunch of nonsense.

Sieper

It’s goal is to stop cars from bunching up before starting the hotlap. Which is dangerous to people finishing their hotlap and it is valid we need to prevent that situation from occuring. It needs very careful wording to achieve that without unwanted by effects. True. This Ferrari defense is ridiculous though. Sainz needed to go fast enough to achieve the needed time. So how is multiple attempts to block an even faster car behind you aid in that. And even if that really was their worry, he could have simply let Max go and if that had cost him any time they could have rightfully argued that if it was investigated.

Sainz simply wanted to have a go at another hotlap but that wasn’t on. It isn’t in the tires anyway if your car (like Ferrari) was struggling for speed.

search

Sieper wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 23:41
Sainz simply wanted to have a go at another hotlap but that wasn’t on. It isn’t in the tires anyway if your car (like Ferrari) was struggling for speed.
he improved by half a second. Not enough to make it to Q3, but he had every reason to go for another lap.

Sieper

search wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 00:19
Sieper wrote:
he improved by half a second. Not enough to make it to Q3, but he had every reason to go for another lap.
Yes, he needed to go. And that is why he defended against Max. It was the stress of that situation. As dialtone said (after first trying to put the blame at Max feet).

He should have just let Max go, his tires would have been in better shape and the gap max would have pulled from turn 12 to the start of the lap would have been more than big enough to not have any hinder.

dialtone
dialtone

Sieper wrote:It’s goal is to stop cars from bunching up before starting the hotlap. Which is dangerous to people finishing their hotlap and it is valid we need to prevent that situation from occuring. It needs very careful wording to achieve that without unwanted by effects. True. This Ferrari defense is ridiculous though. Sainz needed to go fast enough to achieve the needed time. So how is multiple attempts to block an even faster car behind you aid in that. And even if that really was their worry, he could have simply let Max go and if that had cost him any time they could have rightfully argued that if it was investigated.

Sainz needed another lap, to create a gap in front after Max passed, might have required to slow down even further plus potential traffic to slow him further. Ferrari has been called in each of the last 2 races so it’s really not a far fetched story.

That the rule causes these issues makes this rule absolutely stupid. The intent is good but implementation is braindead.

dialtone
dialtone

Sieper wrote:
search wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 00:19
Sieper wrote:
Yes, he needed to go. And that is why he defended against Max. It was the stress of that situation. As dialtone said (after first trying to put the blame at Max feet).

He should have just let Max go, his tires would have been in better shape and the gap max would have pulled from turn 12 to the start of the lap would have been more than big enough to not have any hinder.
I never placed any blame on Max. I placed blame on fans that have more information after quali, going around saying Sainz was on an inlap and needed to be penalized.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

nvm.
Last edited by AR3-GP on 07 Oct 2023, 01:34, edited 2 times in total.

dialtone
dialtone

AR3-GP wrote:
dialtone wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 01:25
Sieper wrote: Yes, he needed to go. And that is why he defended against Max. It was the stress of that situation. As dialtone said (after first trying to put the blame at Max feet).

I never placed any blame on Max. I placed blame on fans that have more information after quali, going around saying Sainz was on an inlap and needed to be penalized.
I said "If" he was on an in-lap.
I actually wasn’t referring to you :).

It’s just that in discord i was told Sainz was on inlap so I blamed Sainz in the chat, and later I checked the onboard and turned out it wasn’t an inlap and it wasn’t penalty worthy.

KimiRai
KimiRai

AR3-GP wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 22:53
I'm surprised Fabrega does not put the simulator predictions through the sanity test. Alpine is never the worst car. They are far from the best, but they are not the worst car anywhere except maybe monza due to PU. Otherwise, they are almost always just behind the top 5 teams no matter the circuit.
For reference. This time it did not pan out at all.

marcel171281
marcel171281

search wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 22:35
Tyres left for tomorrow (in accordance with Pirelli's list, but with tyre age):

https://i.imgur.com/3PtuWrm.png

Unless they invent some rain again, new Mediums must be used in SQ1 and SQ2 tomorrow (one set each), and one set of Softs in SQ3, which is now allowed to be a used one.
the table is not entirely correct, Verstappen should have a set of softs with only 2 laps on it.

search

marcel171281 wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 08:01
search wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 22:35
Tyres left for tomorrow (in accordance with Pirelli's list, but with tyre age):

https://i.imgur.com/3PtuWrm.png

Unless they invent some rain again, new Mediums must be used in SQ1 and SQ2 tomorrow (one set each), and one set of Softs in SQ3, which is now allowed to be a used one.
the table is not entirely correct, Verstappen should have a set of softs with only 2 laps on it.
thanks, right, he aborted the final lap, same as Hamilton, so in his case it must be 2 instead of 1. Will edit it in for the post sprint update.

In the end, those tyres are unlikely to be used again anyway though, I think? Or is the soft an option for the race?

Stu

organic wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 19:49
Hammerfist wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 19:48
Did stroll shove someone in the background there?
Yes. He shoved his personal trainer. Here's the video

Doing a ‘Clarkson’…

…and then the interview.

If he didn’t have such a nepotistic position in the team he would have be history by now.
He just looks and act like an entitled brat.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.