2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
MTudor
MTudor

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

mwillems wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 08:20
https://www.planetf1.com/news/lando-nor ... l-interest

Lando saying he'd love to extend his Mclaren contract.

Let's hope that this also suggests that Mclaren will be a works team from 2026 onwards.

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 21:13
Tyres for tomorrow:

Piastri
new hard
new medium
6 lap medium
7 lap medium
4 lap soft

Norris
new hard
new medium
6 lap medium
7 lap medium
4 lap soft

Verstappen
new hard
new medium
3 lap medium
3 lap medium

If Pirelli institutes maximum of 20 laps for new tyres, they can run mediums at start, hard in middle and then put on their 6 lap old medium for final 16 laps. I think that fits exactly into 22 laps maximum mandated for "used" tyres.

It would be like this.
0-20, 21-40, 41-57

It seems doable. Verstappen should have an easy 3 stop with his 3 lap old mediums. Not sure why Collins on F1 TV seems to think most of the field will have to do 4 stops.
Given that the softs died quickly I think this would border 3 stop anyway to be honest. But it's hard to tell as the mediums weren't pushed, would they last 20 laps at race pace?
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

MTudor wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 21:37
mwillems wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 08:20
https://www.planetf1.com/news/lando-nor ... l-interest

Lando saying he'd love to extend his Mclaren contract.

Let's hope that this also suggests that Mclaren will be a works team from 2026 onwards.
Meh, not sure works status brings anything but sponsorship in this era. I don't feel the merc engine will be any kind of blocker in our progress, or at least any more than any other Merc engine team.

-Bandit

Marc.W

FittingMechanics wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 21:04
Ground Effect wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 20:59
I remember when just after Bahrain, the expert pundits were suggesting Oscar was regretting moving to McLaren over Alpine.....
It will be a fun Drive to Survive season.
The only disappointment is that we won't get to see Otmar's face

Zynerji

So, Lando has 3 teammates winning races while at McL with him.

Such tough luck for that young man.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

thestig84 wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 21:11
Damon Hill. Actually liked him as a British driver back in the day but a terrible pundit (standard for the majority of SkyF1)
Same here, was a huuuuuuge fan of his, enjoyed his title win after a lot of stress from Schumacher. I wanted him to move to McLaren, after 1996, but I hear Ron didn't think he was worth the amount he was demanding. He's an atrocious pundit though.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Marc.W

Zynerji wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 21:40

Sainz didn't win until 2022 with Ferrari

mwillems

Zynerji wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 21:40

3? Who's the third?

I had to Google Sainz record in case I'd totally forgotten.

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

mwillems wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 21:38
Given that the softs died quickly I think this would border 3 stop anyway to be honest. But it's hard to tell as the mediums weren't pushed, would they last 20 laps at race pace?
Andrea Stella said they were worried their mediums will die in the sprint so maybe the race tomorrow will be a 4 stopper.

Crazy to think about but could open opportunities. Tyre management will be critical. Reminds me of IndyCar where victory is often won through strategy.

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 21:46
mwillems wrote:
Andrea Stella said they were worried their mediums will die in the sprint so maybe the race tomorrow will be a 4 stopper.

Crazy to think about but could open opportunities. Tyre management will be critical. Reminds me of IndyCar where victory is often won through strategy.
Opportunities or mistakes, who knows. But it will be a crazy race and someone will get some big position gains I'm sure.

I might be worrying too much but I wonder how Oscar will perform tomorrow with the tyre life, the race will still reward more those that can eek more life from the tyres and tomorrow could be tricky for him, we may well see Lando making good and getting up towards the top 6.

-Bandit

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

FittingMechanics wrote:
mwillems wrote:

Three pitstops is four stretches. 4 pitstops is 5 stretches. I don't think the medium and hard tires are going to fail that fast. If the medium tires will be enough for 13-14 laps and the hard tires for 17-18 laps, it is quite realistic to run with three pitstops, dividing the race into 4 segments.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

LionsHeart wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 21:54
FittingMechanics wrote:
mwillems wrote:

Three pitstops is four stretches. 4 pitstops is 5 stretches. I don't think the medium and hard tires are going to fail that fast. If the medium tires will be enough for 13-14 laps and the hard tires for 17-18 laps, it is quite realistic to run with three pitstops, dividing the race into 4 segments.
Indeed it is. Not sure why Collins talks 4 stop race then.

From numbers it seems that even if Pirelli mandates 20/22 lap stints - Verstappen can two stop and probably McLaren as well (likely other teams as well). Now whether tyres survive 20 laps of hard running is another story.

I think the teams will try to two stop - tyres are just about there to make it, but it will depend on what tyre degradation they saw in the sprint.

MTudor
MTudor

organic wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 20:14
Darth-Piekus wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 20:13
And as usual punishments are delivered depending if you are a Red Bull or not.
Perez in a Red Bull literally got removed from Q3 due to a track limits infringement which is what just hit McLaren as well. Please stop being so tribal with this man

What did u expect,he's the cousin of Darth Sidious 😀😀😀

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 21:58
LionsHeart wrote:
FittingMechanics wrote:

From numbers it seems that even if Pirelli mandates 20/22 lap stints - Verstappen can two stop and probably McLaren as well (likely other teams as well). Now whether tyres survive 20 laps of hard running is another story.

I think the teams will try to two stop - tyres are just about there to make it, but it will depend on what tyre degradation they saw in the sprint.
The tracks going to get pretty dusty overnight again too, cars will be sliding.

I can't see a 2 stopper either but sadly we weren't able to learn much from today.

Landos last lap was only 1s slower than his fastest shootout lap which was on softs, so the Meds weren't that bad once you figure they were worn but the track much more rubbered. Maybe the Meds can do 20 laps.

-Bandit

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

FittingMechanics wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 21:58
LionsHeart wrote:
FittingMechanics wrote:

We’ll see tomorrow. Two pitstops can't be ruled out either.