2023 Qatar Grand Prix - Lusail, Oct 06 - 08

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
mkay
mkay

Re: 2023 Qatar Grand Prix - Lusail, Oct 06 - 08

organic wrote:
08 Oct 2023, 20:46
Norris and Verstappen both believe Russell couldn't have done anything in lap 1 collision - both blamed Hamilton after seeing it on TV
Not exactly Lewis' fan club, is it?

Tiny73
Tiny73

organic wrote:
Norris and Verstappen both believe Russell couldn't have done anything in lap 1 collision - both blamed Hamilton after seeing it on TV
Neither of whom are objective being bessie mates with Georgie boy. 50:50 racing incident at best, Mercedes should’ve briefed the drivers better but George’s quote of “I was only looking ahead” perhaps shows his immaturity as a racer. If Max would’ve attempted that move then half the forum here would’ve been lauding how godlike he is and how brave he was to go round the outside. Had Hamilton not made that move the same half of the forum would've been saying that he’s past it and should go roller skating instead of F1. Can’t have it both ways people.

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

djones wrote:
08 Oct 2023, 20:45
Hammerfist wrote:
08 Oct 2023, 20:41
Mchamilton wrote:
08 Oct 2023, 20:35
lewis has taken full responsibility for the incident on his Instagram story
As he should. Never a good idea on trying to be a hero on the outside while three cars abreast. Same mistake Perez did yesterday.
Again totally missing the point.

On somebody from a different team it would have been a silly move.

On your teammate who was on the slower tyre on the slower side it was a move that should have been not only been allowed but planned by the team!

He needed to get in front of Max at almost all costs for the benefit of the team. Why even bother starting him on softs if the intention was not for Lewis to put pressure on max until the softs went off at circa lap 5.
Nah. Russell was putting the move on max. Hamilton had the whole view of it all being behind. He should have backed out. Very unlike him to be fair but it was a mistake. You can’t expect George to abort his attack on max because Lewis is on softs. Merc started Lewis on the softs probably hoping to get rid of that stint as soon as possible because it was always going to be the toughest stint. Even if he got ahead of both max and George he would have been eaten up within a couple laps.

organic

Tiny73 wrote:
08 Oct 2023, 20:53
organic wrote:
Neither of whom are objective being bessie mates with Georgie boy. 50:50 racing incident at best, Mercedes should’ve briefed the drivers better but George’s quote of “I was only looking ahead” perhaps shows his immaturity as a racer. If Max would’ve attempted that move then half the forum here would’ve been lauding how godlike he is and how brave he was to go round the outside. Had Hamilton not made that move the same half of the forum would've been saying that he’s past it and should go roller skating instead of F1. Can’t have it both ways people.
Russell is halfway alongside Max in the braking zone and quite clearly attempting a move on Max. Hamilton can see this having come from behind, and yet he goes around the outside and then turns in expecting Russell to simply vanish? It was a 3-wide corner and Lewis takes the line as if there is only 1 car to his inside. It's poor racecraft - if I did that on iRacing I'd be embarrassed

Tiny73
Tiny73

organic wrote:
08 Oct 2023, 20:55
Tiny73 wrote:
organic wrote:
Russell is halfway alongside Max in the braking zone and quite clearly attempting a move on Max. Hamilton can see this having come from behind, and yet he goes around the outside and then turns in expecting Russell to simply vanish? It was a 3-wide corner and Lewis takes the line as if there is only 1 car to his inside. It's poor racecraft - if I did that on iRacing I'd be embarrassed
Russell was behind max, no? Coming out of his slipstream to the left at best but not even close to halfway alongside (caveat, I’ve not got the frame by frame replays to hand).

chrisc90

You could even question whether lewis would have made the corner the speed he passed Russel.

dans79

Lewis sure wasn't behind, he was doing a far better job of overtaking George, than George was Max.

201 105 104 9 9 7

organic

Tiny73 wrote:
08 Oct 2023, 20:57
organic wrote:
Tiny73 wrote:

Russell was behind max, no? Coming out of his slipstream to the left at best but not even close to halfway alongside (caveat, I’ve not got the frame by frame replays to hand).
Before braking zone

Braking zone

Turning in

Contact

Lewis is ahead of Russell once they brake courtesy of the higher grip, but he simply turns into a space that Russell is completely entitled to and is occupying. Russell has significant overlap with Max before the braking zone. Why would he decide to brake early? He should see his teammate flying from 10m back and know that Lewis will turn in on him? Baffling...
Last edited by organic on 08 Oct 2023, 21:03, edited 1 time in total.

dans79

chrisc90 wrote:
08 Oct 2023, 21:00
You could even question whether lewis would have made the corner the speed he passed Russel.
He had a better angle than both cars to the inside because he had the better tires.
201 105 104 9 9 7

grubschumi13
grubschumi13

matt_b wrote:
Perez just finished 10th behind both Alfas in the most dominant car in history in a race where there was 1 less Mercedes and Ferrari and at one points ahead of George after the SC :wtf:
It must irritate you that Perez is proving that not anyone can win in the RBR and showing week after week just how special Max is. The combination of Max and RBR are dominant.

Tiny73
Tiny73

organic wrote:
08 Oct 2023, 21:02
Tiny73 wrote:
08 Oct 2023, 20:57
organic wrote:

Before braking zone

https://i.imgur.com/Gie5Xey.png

Braking zone

https://i.imgur.com/Mj2F5k7.png

Turning in

https://i.imgur.com/Vpr03HE.png

Contact

https://i.imgur.com/2Vv8Uej.png

Lewis is ahead of Russell once they brake courtesy of the higher grip, but he simply turns into a space that Russell is completely entitled to and is occupying. Russell has significant overlap with Max before the braking zone. Why would he decide to brake early? He should see his teammate flying from 10m back and know that Lewis will turn in on him? Baffling...
I’ll concede that George was alongside max a little but equally Lewis was well ahead of George and thus George could’ve backed out. That’s what makes it a racing incident at worse for me. Certainly not totally Lewis’ fault. Oh and George’s claim of only looking ahead is pretty much negated when you see that Lewis would be right in his eyeline ahead of him…

That said, these things are split second decisions that we mortals can armchair manage with hindsight that these guys are making in real time with consequences. Hence, racing incident for me.
Last edited by Tiny73 on 08 Oct 2023, 21:10, edited 1 time in total.

Paa

Mogster wrote:
08 Oct 2023, 20:27
Drivers seem to be really struggling with the heat. Don’t remember this at Bahrain or Abu Dhabi even. Why is this event different?
I guess it is not just the heat, but this track is also physically more demanding with all those high G corners.
+ they are also closer to the limit as there is less managing due to the maximum tyre life rule.

The combinations of these three really had at toll on the drivers stamina today.

DChemTech
DChemTech

matt_b wrote:
Perez just finished 10th behind both Alfas in the most dominant car in history in a race where there was 1 less Mercedes and Ferrari and at one points ahead of George after the SC :wtf:
Repeating "most dominant car in history" is not going to make it true. It's a very good car, but needs an excellent driver to win consistently, and the margin to the 2nd best isn't that large. Not a pitstops worth as it was in other cases.

chrisc90

For what its worth.

dans79

Tiny73 wrote:
08 Oct 2023, 21:08
I’ll concede that George was alongside max a little but equally Lewis was well ahead of George and thus George could’ve backed out. That’s what makes it a racing incident at worse for me. Certainly not totally Lewis’ fault.
This year George is showing why he got the nickname Mr Saturday, because he sure shows to be lacking when it comes to wheel to wheel racing.
201 105 104 9 9 7