2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SSJ4
SSJ4

Re: 2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

Well I’m hoping stroll is quicker today then. They’re definitely having correlation issues if you still need to do a comparison. Mercedes new floor did what they expected it to do

organic

to be honest the AMR was the joint 4th quickest car at Qatar but very close to Ferrari. If they run the entire Qatar package on Alonso's car which is reported to be happening, maybe he can achieve top 10 with this ahead of Alpines.

diffuser

PinkFloydPulse wrote:
22 Oct 2023, 16:49
100% Daddy Stroll decision so Lance potentially ends up in front of Alonso...
Think 1 race is not gonna change people's opinion of Lance's driving ability in comparison to Alonso. If the setup change helps Lance makes great strides in performance, I'm sure everyone here will be happy. Nobody will, all of a sudden, think he's a better driver than Alonso.

In fact, it probably because they think Alonso can finish in the points with the old floor. While Lance can't.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

diffuser wrote:
22 Oct 2023, 17:02
PinkFloydPulse wrote:
Think 1 race is not gonna change people's opinion of Lance's driving ability in comparison to Alonso. If the setup change helps Lance makes great strides in performance, I'm sure everyone here will be happy. Nobody will, all of a sudden, think he's a better driver than Alonso.

In fact, it probably because they think Alonso can finish in the points with the old floor. While Lance can't.
Stroll is completely uncompetitive with the old floor. Zero points since the summer break and before. His pace would not be representative of the potential of that floor if he were to run it. So it makes more sense for Alonso to use it. Alonso will be faster in all cases, but maybe Stroll's pace with the new floor is more representative if he's more comfortable with the new floor.

diffuser

AR3-GP wrote:
22 Oct 2023, 17:33
diffuser wrote:
22 Oct 2023, 17:02
PinkFloydPulse wrote:

Stroll is completely uncompetitive with the old floor. Zero points since the summer break and before. His pace would not be representative of the potential of that floor if he were to run it. So it makes more sense for Alonso to use it. Alonso will be faster in all cases, but maybe Stroll's pace with the new floor is more representative if he's more comfortable with the new floor.
Greetings! =D>

diffuser

I bet Alonso starts behind Stroll in pit lane cause Stroll has just setup changes while Alonso's car will also have a parts swap?

CjC
CjC

organic wrote:
22 Oct 2023, 16:42
So they will use it like a practice session - good. But not promising that they still want data of the old floor..
Both Aston Martins will start from the pitlane today. Fernando will run previous iteration of floor with Lance running Austin update optimised for the race so team has a back-to-back comparison.
Also Stroll running the most optimal package rather than Alonso? What a joke

I think a pit lane start for both is a joke.
What if either one of them scores points due to changing to a more optimal setup. Will the race be deemed a success?
I bet all of the other 9 teams would like to change x,y and z after seeing the sprint data.
I know they aren’t breaking any rules so if this is deemed acceptable why don’t the drivers who are P12/13 to P20 all start from the pitlane and change their cars to a better race set up? There will more than likely be a safety car to bunch the pack up at some point
Just a fan's point of view

organic

diffuser

CjC wrote:
22 Oct 2023, 17:49
organic wrote:
22 Oct 2023, 16:42
So they will use it like a practice session - good. But not promising that they still want data of the old floor..
Both Aston Martins will start from the pitlane today. Fernando will run previous iteration of floor with Lance running Austin update optimised for the race so team has a back-to-back comparison.
Also Stroll running the most optimal package rather than Alonso? What a joke

I think a pit lane start for both is a joke.
What if either one of them scores points due to changing to a more optimal setup. Will the race be deemed a success?
I bet all of the other 9 teams would like to change x,y and z after seeing the sprint data.
I know they aren’t breaking any rules so if this is deemed acceptable why don’t the drivers who are P12/13 to P20 all start from the pitlane and change their cars to a better race set up? There will more than likely be a safety car to bunch the pack up at some point
I would say the answer to that are
1 - They need to gather more info on a different setup on a new package. I don't think that the odds of them getting it perfect are good, they would probably try several different setups in a normal weekend.

2 - They think they can be significantly faster with the changes. Long run pace with current setup was over 1 sec slower that Ferrari and McLaren. You'd expect AMR to be close to them with the parts used in the last race..

diffuser

So since we're starting from pit lane ....are we starting on hards?

Note safety car odds are 29%.
Virtual safety car odds 54%.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

organic wrote:
22 Oct 2023, 18:25
“We learned that the package is actually performing as we were expecting. But as I mentioned, we haven’t been able to optimise the set-up.

“So one thing we have decided to do is start both cars from the pit lane – and we are effectively changing the set-up.

“Because we think there is a lot more performance to come from the car.

“So we took the pragmatic approach to start one car with the Qatar spec, and one with the new package.”
Odd. He has not really explained why they didn't just fix the setup as opposed to reverting Alonso to Qatar.

chrisc90

Upgrade package is working, but they have reverted back to a old spec?

Surely changing the setup of the upgrades on both cars for a better understanding would be better if the upgrades are ‘working’ but they need to explore setup windows

diffuser

AR3-GP wrote:
22 Oct 2023, 18:56
organic wrote:
22 Oct 2023, 18:25
“We learned that the package is actually performing as we were expecting. But as I mentioned, we haven’t been able to optimise the set-up.

“So one thing we have decided to do is start both cars from the pit lane – and we are effectively changing the set-up.

“Because we think there is a lot more performance to come from the car.

“So we took the pragmatic approach to start one car with the Qatar spec, and one with the new package.”
Odd. He has not really explained why they didn't just fix the setup as opposed to reverting Alonso to Qatar.
I don't think you can expect them to nail the setup on 1 change. They don't really know how the new updates will react to set-up changes. They're going in blind.

diffuser

Haas to start from pit lane as well.

yinlad

chrisc90 wrote:
22 Oct 2023, 19:09
Upgrade package is working, but they have reverted back to a old spec?

Surely changing the setup of the upgrades on both cars for a better understanding would be better if the upgrades are ‘working’ but they need to explore setup windows
Lots of value in having back to back data. Might as well gather that data in a race that's already cursed. P4 is undefendable from McLaren at this point so hoover up data and feed into '24 development
MVRC - Panthera